ADVERTISEMENT

Is Penn State Freshman Levi Haines a Title Contender at 157 Pounds?

At the rate Levi is progressing knowing the name of Vincent Zerban for a trivia question might be a good idea : ) On another note, PSWC lists Levi's record this year as 15-0. Does anyone know why the Zerban loss isn't listed or included?

At the rate Levi is progressing knowing the name of Vincent Zerban for a trivia question might be a good idea : ) On another note, PSWC lists Levi's record this year as 15-0. Does anyone know why the Zerban loss isn't listed or included?
That looks like it excludes the tournament results (other than the B1G champs), but that would be 14-0, not 15-0, so someone is not doing their math right.

I am FAR too lazy to count and calculate Quality Wins, so this is largely a guess.

Gigantic mess, because Levi could very possibly lose a sim match to Humphreys or Franek, yet get seeded ahead of them because they lose to Robb and/or each other.

Humphreys is ineligible for an RPI, which really hurts his sim matches in both RPI and Quality Wins. What hurts Aaron, helps Levi.

So I'm going with O'Connor 1, Levi 2, Robb 3, Franek 4, Humphreys 5. Levi anywhere from 2-4 won't surprise me. Below 4 would shock me.

Details below:

O'Connor will be the 1 -- not a guess.
- Coaches' 1, unbeaten, conference champ.
- Since he's unbeaten, he can no worse than tie H2H and Common Opponent.
- RPI 3 behind Robb and Levi.

Levi vs. Humphreys:
- tie H2H, Conf Finish, Common Opponent.
- Levi wins RPI (Humphreys ineligible).
- Humphreys will likely win Coaches' Rank (currently 4th and 8th)
- I think Levi wins Quality Wins, and that pushes him ahead. I'll call this for Levi, but won't be surprised if I'm wrong.

Levi vs. Franek:
- tie H2H, Conf Finish.
- Possibly tie Common Opponent. Franek was 3-0 vs. Zerban, but lost to Robb. I guess this depends on exactly how this is measured -- Franek might have a better Win % against common opponents.
- Franek is very slightly ahead (less than 0.25%) in Win %, and Levi a little ahead in RPI (5th vs 6th). Let's call these a combined push.
- I have no idea about Quality Wins. Gut says Levi had more of them.
- I'll call this for Levi, and be even less surprised to be wrong here.

For giggles:

Franek vs. Robb:
- Robb wins H2H
- Franek wins Conf Finish
- Coaches' Rank is up for grabs.
- tie Common Opponents
- Robb slightly ahead in Win % and RPI
- Too lazy to figure out Quality Wins -- but can't imagine it's enough for Franek to overcome H2H, WIn %, and RPI.
- Calling this for Robb, with the caveat about Coaches' Rank.

Humphreys vs. Robb:
- tie H2H, Common Opponents
- Humphreys wins Conf Finish, Win %
- Robb wins RPI
- Coaches Rank up for grabs
- Robb likely wins Quality Wins

Franek vs. Humphreys:
- tie H2H, Common Opponents, Conf Finish
- Humphreys wins Win %
- Franek wins RPI, Coaches Rank
- Franek likely wins Quality Wins

What a mess.
You are the man jefe there is no doubt

The Zerban loss is there, but the four bouts from the Black Knight Invitational are not. It will be taken care of. THANKS!! Note that there are two bouts on the PSWC website that do not count as D1 matches.

One can certainly make a very strong argument that Levi is ahead of where both Jason and Bo were at this point in their careers.

I am amazed and encouraged by any true Freshman that is of AA caliber.

I am saddened by the thought that we 'may' have to wait until Nov 2024 to see him as a starter again. If so, holy cow, look out!

PS - yes, I know Bo & Jason shirted, that's the point.

• Sad
Reactions: NitFan53
One can certainly make a very strong argument that Levi is ahead of where both Jason and Bo were at this point in their careers.

I am saddened by the thought that we 'may' have to wait until Nov 2024 to see him as a starter again. If so, holy cow, look out!

I think he will be in the lineup next season. Call it a hunch...

I feel strange referring too him as a TF when I know damn well he spent a year at NLWC.By the book he is a TF, but I’d be hesitant to call that a STRONG argument.

I feel strange referring too him as a TF when I know damn well he spent a year at NLWC.By the book he is a TF, but I’d be hesitant to call that a STRONG argument.
So if he were just at M2 or Young Guns last year, he would be valid FR, but since he was with the NLWC, he is not? I contend that it is a strong argument because Levi is only 18 years old...the actual age of a college freshman.

So if he were just at M2 or Young Guns last year, he would be valid FR, but since he was with the NLWC, he is not? I contend that it is a strong argument because Levi is only 18 years old...the actual age of a college freshman.
I’ll agree with the age argument,if you’ll admit that Levi wouldnt be anywhere near the wrestler he is had he not spent last year (basically redshirting) in SC.

I’ll agree with the age argument,if you’ll admit that Levi wouldnt be anywhere near the wrestler he is had he not spent last year (basically redshirting) in SC.
I don't think anyone would argue against that. Train with Olympians for your senior year? Hell yeah, sign me up!

Reactions: danoftw
Oooookay, but you’ll have to admit that Spencer Lee wouldn’t be anywhere near the wrestler he was as a freshman had he not spent several years with YG prior to college.:rolleyes::oops:

Reactions: gptakba
One would have to be an idiot to wave off the impact of spending your HS senior year wrestling in Lorenzo (plus immediate access to M2) versus wrestling in one's HS wrestling room.

Worked well for Nick Lee, and now Levi. Even with the year of training, he is still only 18.

One would have to be an idiot to wave off the impact of spending your HS senior year wrestling in Lorenzo (plus immediate access to M2) versus wrestling in one's HS wrestling room.

Worked well for Nick Lee, and now Levi. Even with the year of training, he is still only 18.
So, do you consider that a “theoretical red shirt” year or do you still choose to refer to Levi as a true freshman based solely on his age.

It’s just discussion guys, im merely trying too get opinions.

Oooookay, but you’ll have to admit that Spencer Lee wouldn’t be anywhere near the wrestler he was as a freshman had he not spent several years with YG prior to college.:rolleyes::oops:
I’ll give the credit to Jimmy Mulligan 😜

I’m pretty sure Mark Steen was a regular at the old Eagles club as well.

So, do you consider that a “theoretical red shirt” year or do you still choose to refer to Levi as a true freshman based solely on his age.

I don’t think it’s near a redshirt experience. Redshirts are still managing college courses, college training periodizations and get to wrestle in college events. It used to be unattached in tournaments but now they can even wrestle in duals. AB trained at the OTC, but it wasn’t college. I think the entirety of the college challenges can only be learned as a college student.

Levi was still enrolled in HS. Not a grayshirt, let alone a redshirt.

Also not a tanshirt or a blackshirt.

So he's a true freshman.

I watched a whale turtle up for 5 minutes under Kerk, and one stall call. I saw the first against Mason, and I'm like, wtf is happening. Lmao!

I don't see it as an either or. From a physically mature standpoint he is a true freshman who doesn't even have the advantage of a Junior Hi RS year.
From a development standpoint, his skills are developed more like a RSFR. As a 17 year-old member of the NLWC he was getting advanced training, with no time constraints.

An aside, Aaron spent a year at the Olympic training center doing nothing but wrestling before putting on the blue singlet.

PSU has had 3 guys achieve tremendous success with this model.

Reactions: danoftw

If he shirts a year he will be a freaking beast that nobody wants to face when he comes back

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT