ADVERTISEMENT

not so fast

The dude that posted the false info about Teske posted about Bartlett's commitment this morning. He took pride in beating Flo to the punch.

Meh. It’s 2019. We know people signing in all sports , collegiate or professional prior to announcements. Like the old “the X are expected to hire “x” as coach. News conference at 11am”.

It’s todays media day and age. Get with it or sit behind and bitch and moan.

Meh. It’s 2019. We know people signing in all sports , collegiate or professional prior to announcements. Like the old “the X are expected to hire “x” as coach. News conference at 11am”.

Exactly, Nomad crying about the way news is broken in 2019 seems like a toddler whining. I’d bet Nomad more butt hurt than Beau would be over this

Not sure who Nomad is directing this at
Not to defend Pat Mineo, but is Nomad suggesting that Flo, before reporting on any high-level recruit's commitment, gives that recruit the option to break it themselves? That seems like a tough standard to meet.

Also forced to wonder how much of this sentiment isn't sour grapes over Mineo having stolen not Bartlett's moment so much as Flo's potential moment, since they often team up with the recruit to deliver these moments.

Exactly, Nomad crying about the way news is broken in 2019 seems like a toddler whining. I’d bet Nomad more butt hurt than Beau would be over this

Maybe I’m in the minority, but I thought Nomad had a point - let the kid have his day. Unlike, say, football and basketball players, wrestlers, even the elite ones, aren’t often in the limelight, especially given all of the sacrifices they have to make. So why not let Bartlett have his moment? In any event, he looks like a terrific get, and the fact that it was unexpected makes it all the sweeter.

Not sure who Nomad is directing this at
Definitely referring to Pat. FLO knew the information but was waiting for the Bartlett family to announce first. Obviously someone else didn't care to wait and spilled the beans......then bragged about "scooping" FLO. I agree with Nomad......certainly nothing to brag about when you don't respect the family or wrestler. Bragging about it is like saying...…."HA.....Only losers respect the families' wishes" Scumbags obviously don't......and somehow think they are "Winners" Wow!

Last edited:
Yeah, Coach Green went off too:

That suggests maybe Beau didn't like it much either. Looks like the kid is the team photoshop whiz, his graphic design instagram handle has a bunch of similar slides for his teammates and other big recruits like Starrocci & Howard. I bet doing his own was a big deal for him, and it sucked to be scooped. Certainly a sign of the times, but I can definitely empathize.

Last edited:
Not to defend Pat Mineo, but is Nomad suggesting that Flo, before reporting on any high-level recruit's commitment, gives that recruit the option to break it themselves? That seems like a tough standard to meet.
Willie has stated in the past that this is his standard.

Not just about stealing the kid's thunder -- sometimes the kid hasn't announced because he hasn't notified the other teams yet.

BTW this happened with Bo Nickal's commitment -- IIRC Willie sat on Bo's news for over a week. Bo chose PSU just before a family vacation abroad, but wasn't able to reach the other coaches before leaving.

Last edited:

Seriously? So you would be fine with someone yelling out all the spoilers to "Endgame" while you stood in line to see the movie. I suspect "Get With It" would not be the words you speak. Respect and common courtesy should be ignored? I hope not.

Last edited:
Willie has stated in the past that this is his standard.

Not just about stealing the kid's thunder -- sometimes the kid hasn't announced because he hasn't yet notified the other teams yet.
Thanks, that's why I was genuinely asking. But I imagine that line must get murky from time to time.

But I still maintain that Flo might not be the best messenger for the Pat Mineo is an expletive campaign since he essentially scooped them. Also wondering whether Flo believes that BWI is no better than Mineo, since the news broke here before he got it (seems likely Mineo may have even gotten it from here), even if only in blind item form.

I take it you do not follow football recruiting. If you did , this is common place. Daily. Get used to it.

Seriously? So you would be fine with someone yelling out all the spoilers to "Endgame" while you stood in line to see the movie. I suspect "Get With It" would not be the words you speak. Respect and common courtesy should be ignored? I hope not.

I take it you do not follow football recruiting. If you did , this is common place. Daily. Get used to it.

I do follow football recruiting pretty closely. While prognosticators predict where a recruit is going......most recruits have an announcement date.....hats, helmets, video....whatever. Ignoring the wishes of the athlete and their family is pretty despicable in my view.....done only by bottom feeders. The problem is "Getting used to it" means ignoring common decency and respect. Having no bottom limit to one's own bar is a pretty sad commentary. I'll choose not to get used to it and will call it out for what it is.....Unsavory, Disrespectful and Unprofessional.

Thanks, that's why I was genuinely asking. But I imagine that line must get murky from time to time.

But I still maintain that Flo might not be the best messenger for the Pat Mineo is an expletive campaign since he essentially scooped them. Also wondering whether Flo believes that BWI is no better than Mineo, since the news broke here before he got it (seems likely Mineo may have even gotten it from here), even if only in blind item form.

I don't think that announcing something that FLO was already aware of and announcing it against the wishes of the athlete and family is a "Scoop" …...unless you are referring to the fecal variety.....in which case I agree....what he did was really sh@tty......in need of scooping.

I don't think that announcing something that FLO was already aware of and announcing it against the wishes of the athlete and family is a "Scoop" …...unless you are referring to the fecal variety.....in which case I agree....what he did was really sh@tty......in need of scooping.
This. It was an ethical breach, not a scoop, and Flo was right to call it out,

There's also Mineo being factually wrong -- can't flip an uncommitted athlete -- plus using somebody's rankings without attribution to break news.

And the first reply to Mineo's tweet was Mineo gloating about beating Flo.

Seems like a decent fellow other than that.

Mineo was wrong about the Teske news. He didn't scoop anything. He saw something on a board. Or guessed. Flo needs to chill.

And if he did happen to scoop, then someone is chirping from the recruit's circle to someone that shouldn't be chirped to.

Here's a funny example of this kind of "reporting" gone wrong:
https://247sports.com/college/ohio-state/Board/101483/Contents/Jesse-Vasquez-a-Buck-127870290/

Short version: back in January, Jesse Vazquez tweeted pics in Cornell and Ohio State singlets (plus an Iowa tweet in a neutral singlet). The Ohio State tweet was very unclear and inadvertently fooled people into thinking he committed. He had to tweet a correction that he's considering Ohio State, not committed there.

One might say: so what, it's just an Ohio State message board.

Except it fooled notorious Buckeye homer Josh Lowe, who still has Vazquez listed as an Ohio State commit 4 months later.
http://intermatwrestle.com/rankings/high_school/138

Which tells you everything you need to know about Intermat's verification standards. (Well, almost -- there's also the Jered Cortez "call my dad" incident.)

This. It was an ethical breach, not a scoop, and Flo was right to call it out,

There's also Mineo being factually wrong -- can't flip an uncommitted athlete -- plus using somebody's rankings without attribution to break news.

And the first reply to Mineo's tweet was Mineo gloating about beating Flo.

Seems like a decent fellow other than that.

I think you may have spelled descent wrong.....:) Certainly nothing decent about what he did.

There have been numerous instances where the sad sack in question tried to scoop things or post things and beat the usual suspects, Flo specifically, and there are zero repercussions when that info goes incorrect and gets deleted before it gets called out for being wrong. If you read enough message boards, eventually you'll come across something that sticks. Wrestling is small, so getting to a friend of a friend to get information is one thing. Having zero repercussions for being wrong in "breaking" things is the difference between being legit and just being a donk who wants attention.

It's the kid's moment. That's how I always treated it. The kid and the parent had to call/email/text me when I was posting a commitment (mostly in the era before social media), since coaches were prohibited from commenting on verbals.

Donk in question also "reported" Todd Beckerman was taking the Maryland job. That tweet is nowhere to be found. Can't have it both ways.

I agree that the athletes should be ones to announce their commitment. Stealing that from the recruit is a bad look and a crappy thing to do. I also follow football recruitment and when somebody steals a kid's thunder like this they are also criticized heavily for doing so and the standard in football is to also let the kid announce it. Plenty of people know before a lot of kids announce what their decision is in football and they sit on the info.

If Flo's policy is to wait for the kid to announce even when they know then that's a good policy.

How did Mineo find out this news? From this board? Then how did Str8Dblz or Ames find out to post it here? I'm not sure Nomad and the coach's post aren't partially directed here as well as at the people that spilled the beans to the people that post here.

Yeah, Coach Green went off too:

That suggests maybe Beau didn't like it much either. Looks like the kid is the team photoshop whiz, his graphic design instagram handle has a bunch of similar slides for his teammates and other big recruits like Starrocci & Howard. I bet doing his own was a big deal for him, and it sucked to be scooped. Certainly a sign of the times, but I can definitely empathize.

Coach Green does so much of his own woofin that I'd be hesitant to deduce from his behavior any sentiments from a wrestler of his. I agree with the rest of your takery, though.

And I also extremely love your Bajrang Ghobi Ear joke, omg, so good.

Coach Green does so much of his own woofin that I'd be hesitant to deduce from his behavior any sentiments from a wrestler of his. I agree with the rest of your takery, though.

And I also extremely love your Bajrang Ghobi Ear joke, omg, so good.
You’re right about Green, he doesn’t hold back. Just thought here that he might know something we don’t about one of his charges—also likely/possible with Nomad. The Flo guys walk a line between building relationships and trust with these kids and feeding the insatiable beast of wrestling nerds everywhere.

Halloween idea I’ve yet to pull off: Brown cloak, Cauliflower hands, light sabre. Ghobi Wan Kenobi

Reactions: jtothemfp
How did Mineo find out this news? From this board? Then how did Str8Dblz or Ames find out to post it here? I'm not sure Nomad and the coach's post aren't partially directed here as well as at the people that spilled the beans to the people that post here.
He claims he got it off the boards -- which means his "scoops" are rumors he doesn't bother to verify. And he steals content from the boards and passes it off as his own, as if he has some kind of inside knowledge or did any actual work.

Also note the non-apology apology -- he didn't merely post it on his private board, he tweeted it out.

Fake all the way around.

Reactions: kevin310
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT