ADVERTISEMENT

not so fast

Was recently listening to a good podcast on bear encounter safety tips.

Same podcast (KUOW's The Wild), different episode, covered a Korean man who waits in six-month stretches in a bunker he built in Siberia for the purpose of photographing elusive Siberian Tigers. From a Nat Geo article on the same guy:

We called our bunkers ‘hotels’ to make them seem more comfortable. But in reality they were cramped, underground spaces measuring six feet by six feet by five. I had to stoop when standing up, but I spent most of my time sitting: waiting and watching for tigers with my camera. Outside it was -20F and snowy. I was unable to shower or turn a light on, and had to remain very quiet so as not to scare off the tigers, even though sometimes I wanted to shout. I felt as though I were in solitary confinement. I would read the labels of food containers for entertainment.

Reactions: nerfstate
Enjoy. We hiked around Banff (saw elk and mule deer), Lake Louise and Moraine Lake.
Took the Lake Louise skiing chairlift to top and saw a grizzly sow and 2 cubs feeding on berries below us.
P.s. re: your buddy's knee - you don't have to be faster than the bear, just faster than whomever is with you ;)

Last edited:
Just saw my first adult bear in Pyramid Mountain National Historic Area last week. Heard rustling in the brush about 20 feet away from me that sounded like something big. It was.

Enjoy. We hiked around Banff (saw elk and mule deer), Lake Louise and Moraine Lake.
Took the Lake Louise skiing chairlift to top and saw a grizzly sow and 2 cubs feeding on berries below us.
P.s. re: your buddy's knee - you don't have to be faster than the bear, just faster than whomever is with you ;)
Dude, that joke was so May 14.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT