ADVERTISEMENT

Noteworthy Results & Goldfish Games: Feb 16-20

We do know this years Iowa team does enjoy the early bird special at the buffet
The reason that the budget increased so dramatically for their new wrestling facility.
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

I don’t know. Murin has a not-so-great loss and only two bonus wins (two majors against guys that won’t be at nationals). Turk is prob right there and if the coaches didn’t think they were seeing enough from Murin, I could see them giving Turk a shot to prove he should go.
I give this about 1% chance of happening. No inside info but Turk isn’t scoring more points than Murin IMO. I hate that he didn’t go against Lovett yesterday.

I give this about 1% chance of happening. No inside info but Turk isn’t scoring more points than Murin IMO. I hate that he didn’t go against Lovett yesterday.
So YoU’rE SaYiNg ThErE’s A cHaNcE.

This is great news. You are seeing a serious push to bring awareness, and more importantly opportunities and resources, for black and historically underrepresented wrestlers by groups such as Beat the Streets, Black Wrestling Association, HBCU Wrestling and Wrestling for Life. For those of us who love wrestling and know the great values it can instill, I see all of the recent movement in this area as a very positive thing.

Wrestlestat says he has another year of eligibility
I'll be damned. I thought Max showed up with Young. I guess I was mistaken. That was nice of Max to let Turk have a kid or two Max probably wasn't beating.

I'll be damned. I thought Max showed up with Young. I guess I was mistaken. That was nice of Max to let Turk have a kid or two Max probably wasn't beating.
We might find out in a couple weeks. Or at nationals. Gomez and Lovett are tough outs this year. So is Max imo.

We might find out in a couple weeks. Or at nationals. Gomez and Lovett are tough outs this year. So is Max imo.
Max has wrestled tough this year. Hopefully you guys are about 40 or so behind by the time we get to the round of 12 so I can root for Max, Kaleb and Alex.

Reactions: dunkej01
149 I think is 3 and then who knows. Pretty clear IMO that first 3 are Yianni, Sammy, Tariq. Yianni in his own tier and I don't think Sasso is in his own ahead of Tariq. In fact, Sasso very well could have lost in the R16 last year.

Gomez/Lovett seem to be the next tier but I don't buy they're on a tier better than Murin/Parco/Andonian/Heil/Millner/Thomas. 149 also is the perfect class for someone in the teens or even 20s to make a run.

149 I think is 3 and then who knows. Pretty clear IMO that first 3 are Yianni, Sammy, Tariq. Yianni in his own tier and I don't think Sasso is in his own ahead of Tariq. In fact, Sasso very well could have lost in the R16 last year.

Gomez/Lovett seem to be the next tier but I don't buy they're on a tier better than Murin/Parco/Andonian/Heil/Millner/Thomas. 149 also is the perfect class for someone in the teens or even 20s to make a run.
Back 10 years ago a really tough freshman dude with 4 letters and multiple vowels in his first name entered his first NCAA tournament with 7 season losses and a 10th seed. He ended up on the raised mat wrestling for a championship on Saturday night.

A decade later I see no reason that can't be repeated.

Everybody in the room has been beating Beau lately!

Reactions: hlstone
I almost posted a poll about this.

Possible reasons:

1) Murin is banged up
2) Murin struggles to make the weight
3) The weight is still undecided
4) Protect Big Ten Seed (4th instead of 5th makes this unlikely IMO)
5) Protect overall record (8-2 without those matches; 8-4 and under 0.700 with. But he’s prob an at-large regardless on RPI and Coaches ranking)
6) Other ????

The more I consider it, I lean (3) it’s still undecided.
6. Other.
Someone on HR insinuated he’s banged up. I guess that makes the most sense.
Was unhealthy against Gomez. Got healthy in Texas. Unhealthy in Nebraska. Ok.

Anyone see S. Griffith vs Oregon State today? Is it me or despite the meh win, does Shane look a bit sluggish? I know he wrestled 174 at least a match or two earlier this year. Is 165 a difficult cut for him, especially two days in a row after losing to Wick yesterday?

Anyone see S. Griffith vs Oregon State today? Is it me or despite the meh win, does Shane look a bit sluggish? I know he wrestled 174 at least a match or two earlier this year. Is 165 a difficult cut for him, especially two days in a row after losing to Wick yesterday?
I thought he looked sluggish last year and then he went out and won the title.

Reactions: KCLion
Season tix holder at both PSU & VT. I love CStar’s energy and pace when facing low rank opponents. He shifts style (as anyone would expect) against the high level guys. Lewis is gonna give CStar problems. I think Carter knows the way through any of the others. Style matchups are particularly important this year among the top 4-5 at 174. I’m sure the brain trust at PSU is already crafting a plan to blunt Lewis (take advantage of his weakened top game at his new weight). I’ve seen the guy live 4 times this year and he’s definitely more cautious (more D and less explosive O), but, he’s still a beast.

Season tix holder at both PSU & VT. I love CStar’s energy and pace when facing low rank opponents. He shifts style (as anyone would expect) against the high level guys. Lewis is gonna give CStar problems. I think Carter knows the way through any of the others. Style matchups are particularly important this year among the top 4-5 at 174. I’m sure the brain trust at PSU is already crafting a plan to blunt Lewis (take advantage of his weakened top game at his new weight). I’ve seen the guy live 4 times this year and he’s definitely more cautious (more D and less explosive O), but, he’s still a beast.
Out of all the other top 174s Carter may face at Nationals, Lewis worries me the most. I remember how easily he shut down Cenzo.

174 to me is very tough to determine. I would favor C*, but Kem,Hidley,Lewis,Massa, or Labs winning it all would not be shocking. It is a little bit like 197 where I would take the field in an even bet against somebody taking the top two picks.

174 to me is very tough to determine. I would favor C*, but Kem,Hidley,Lewis,Massa, or Labs winning it all would not be shocking. It is a little bit like 197 where I would take the field in an even bet against somebody taking the top two picks.
It’s not hard to imagine Labs or Massa beating one of the others. I just can’t see either running the table.

Don't disagree with you, but with one caveat - Carter has shown to be the best of these wrestlers at winning ultra-tight matches. He's got ice-water in his viens.

I wouldn't say he shut Cenzo down. He got 4 backpoints early in the 2nd and held Cenzo off the rest of the way by wrestling defensively.
I think the score was 6 or 7 to 1. When was the last time Cenzo was held to one point. Call it whatever you like, but it's a pretty decisive win against a wrestler of Cenzos caliber.

I think the score was 6 or 7 to 1. When was the last time Cenzo was held to one point. Call it whatever you like, but it's a pretty decisive win against a wrestler of Cenzos caliber.
It was 8-1.

Lewis got 4 on a cradle in the 2nd.

He took down in the 3rd, escaped (Cenzo might havecut him, don't recall offhand), then went into Full Shutdown Mode on feet. Got a cheap takedown when Cenzo took a forced shot, because that was the only kind of shot there was to be taken. Plus RT1.

Reactions: PAgeologist
It was 8-1.

Lewis got 4 on a cradle in the 2nd.

He took down in the 3rd, escaped (Cenzo might havecut him, don't recall offhand), then went into Full Shutdown Mode on feet. Got a cheap takedown when Cenzo took a forced shot, because that was the only kind of shot there was to be taken. Plus RT1.
No RT, it was 7-1. Cenzo also said on "The Inside Trip" he overthought it and baited a cradle in the 2nd to try something fancy against Mekhi but then he locked it up and he was like damn it, he's strong.

Also, Cenzo was very close to finishing a takedown at the end of that period and the minute he didn't finish, it was basically over. He wasn't coming back from a 4 point deficit in a period against a guy that good defensively. Mekhi absolutely earned it that tournament winning as an 8 seed and beating the B1G's best.

Don't think Cenzo was himself that tournament at all tbh, 8-4 against a Missouri kid that Joe Lee pinned at the Scuffle the following year. Went to SV against White (though I guess that's not that uncommon lol) and then 3-2 over Shields (who he majored earlier that year)

ADVERTISEMENT