ADVERTISEMENT

PSU - Navy Match Thread

I am hoping either Schnupp or Teske (or both) can jump levels as the year progresses.

I was reading an article on Michael Macchiavello where he talked about his growth over his career. He was a one time North Carolina state champion in high school and was not thought of as a top recruit. His NCAA career went:

FR 11-14
SO 9-8
RS
JR 10th at the NCAAs
SR NCAA Champion

Just have to trust Cael and the process. Schnupp definitely has heart and Teske is supposed to have a motor that he didn’t show much of today.

It will be interesting to see the results as the year goes by.

The list of those kind of wrestlers is longer than you think! Drew Foster didn't win a high school state championship even. Ronnie Perry qualified for PA states once and finished 7th before finishing up as a runner up at NCAAs his last year.That's just off the top of my head. I bet if we go deeper and dig into some AA's background, we'd have a much longer list.

Those guys are the exceptions and not the rules but it just goes to show, every champion/AA has a different paths to get there. For Penn State, with how we recruit, for the most part, our champions will be the "highly touted" recruits but our champs have different paths as well. Some had star written all over them from Day 1 (DT, Zain, Nolf, Bo) but then we have our Anthony Cassar.

We're blessed Cael has the ability to identify and develop both type of champions.

Reactions: diggerpup
Beard might be better but is it enough to burn the shirt?
So Beard is better than a high podium finisher? Yet Beard did not win the Clarion open. I have to think about that for a bit.

no. Wait. I don’t.

You don’t get on the top steps of the NCAA podium by luck.

Conel wrestled like nearly everyone in their first match in the blue singlet at rec hall. Gassing. Lol.

The list of those kind of wrestlers is longer than you think! Drew Foster didn't win a high school state championship even. Ronnie Perry qualified for PA states once and finished 7th before finishing up as a runner up at NCAAs his last year.That's just off the top of my head. I bet if we go deeper and dig into some AA's background, we'd have a much longer list.

Those guys are the exceptions and not the rules but it just goes to show, every champion/AA has a different paths to get there. For Penn State, with how we recruit, for the most part, our champions will be the "highly touted" recruits but our champs have different paths as well. Some had star written all over them from Day 1 (DT, Zain, Nolf, Bo) but then we have our Anthony Cassar.

We're blessed Cael has the ability to identify and develop both type of champions.

Ed Ruth never won a PA state title. I think he took 3rd twice. He turned out to be a pretty good college wrestler too.

So Beard is better than a high podium finisher? Yet Beard did not win the Clarion open. I have to think about that for a bit.

no. Wait. I don’t.

You don’t get on the top steps of the NCAA podium by luck.

Conel wrestled like nearly everyone in their first match in the blue singlet at rec hall. Gassing. Lol.

I hope you meant to respond to LP and not me. Lighten up Francis.

Phil Davis finished 4th and 5th in states but was a 4 time AA and national champ in college

Pat Cummins didn't qualify for states until he was a senior and then didn't place and was a 2x AA and a finalist. Lots of stories like that. Neither of the Moore brothers ever won a state title either.

Cael-state.jpg

60th consecutive dual meet win. I believe they might go for 69 at Iowa this year if the streak continues. 69 in a row is what Iowa achieved a couple of decades back.

Commence "69" jokes now.
As a member of the class of '69, there are no 69 jokes! ;)

Reactions: Dogwelder
As a member of the class of '69, there are no 69 jokes! ;)
Hi Tom, I mean no harm, but I can’t resist repeating a comeback I once heard somewhere:

“What? There’s no mirrors at your house?”

:)

Last edited:
I did not see any of the matches. That said, listening to Byers' comments on Cenzo, his complete annihilation of the 11th ranked kid, and his post match interview, is it fair to say Cenzo is on an absolute mission this year? Look out Marinelli!

I did not see any of the matches. That said, listening to Byers' comments on Cenzo, his complete annihilation of the 11th ranked kid, and his post match interview, is it fair to say Cenzo is on an absolute mission this year? Look out Marinelli!
Someone else said the hammers looked like, well, hammers yesterday. For me, Gardner was also a very pleasant surprise. But I'd be careful extrapolating too much from one match, whether for Cenzo, Gardner, Teske, Conel or anyone else on the team. It's a long season!

(I almost sound like a cheap imitation of Roar with this post.;))

YES, Cenzo is a man on a mission!

Reactions: NittanyChris
Coaches were looking for effort, and across the board they got what they wanted in the first action of the season. Plenty to improve on, as wins and losses (all wins on this day) give the wrestlers and coaches lots of information to build on.

The PSU guys tend to improve as much or more than any team's wrestlers throughout the course of the year, with one singular focus...peaking at the right time. I'm not making too much or too little from an 11/10 dual, with 4 months of wrestling ahead of us.

Just continue working hard guys, your best days are ahead...

Someone else said the hammers looked like, well, hammers yesterday. For me, Gardner was also a very pleasant surprise. But I'd be careful extrapolating too much from one match, whether for Cenzo, Gardner, Teske, Conel or anyone else on the team. It's a long season!

(I almost sound like a cheap imitation of Roar with this post.;))

Fair enough, but certainly not FUN to discuss!

Reactions: Dogwelder

Yes, he wants to make a run at the Olympics after the season, Byers said that was a big motivator.

Not sure I heard him right in his interview but he mentioned him and some others not going to Army to wrestle at the Ferrell. Did anyone else hear this?
Yes--he said himself and Tony will be going to Bill Farrell and not West Point. I was suprised to not hear Mark listed there honestly. Plus former/non starters like Nolf and Brooks, of course.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT