ADVERTISEMENT

Wisconsin Match Thread

I wonder how much these guys push each other for max points in a match. Especially CStar and Brooks since they're adjacent weights. Brooks seemed disappointed he didn't get the pin.
Brooks gave up on his pinning combination with plenty of time left. He needed to walk his arm forward and rotate to double grapes or the other way to the head and switch to head and arm. When he repositioned, Wisconsin was able to belly out.

DGK thoroughly controlled Hillger. It wasn’t as close as the 6-2 final suggested. Viewing the weight class as a whole, I think Pitzer is the dark horse. He’s not your grandpas heavyweight and moves very well considering his size. He’s already taken out Cohlton Schultz too.

Side note regarding Pitzer: I was chatting up a buddy of mine at a tournament recently and he was telling me about how he asked his dear friend/ex coach Rob Waller why Dayton chose Pitt considering his massive list of offers. In typical Coach Waller fashion, he put it succinctly: “He chose them because he’s a mommas boy!”
He also chose them because Kerkvliet exists at PSU but that’s a story for another thread.

Dayton is gonna be a stud but don’t think he’s ready for any of DGK, Parris or Cass quite yet. Let’s circle back in a year.

All the studs looked good tonight. Surprised Van Ness couldn’t get any offense going against Gomez and he got stuck on bottom. Things to work on. Would have liked to see Facundo/Hamiti.

Really surprised Steen is as outmatched as his is. 2 yrs in the room working with RBY, Gilman, Conway. Didn’t think he’d be a world beater but didn’t expect him to get dominated as he’s been so far. I’m sure he’s working hard. Hope he can turn it around

All the studs looked good tonight. Surprised Van Ness couldn’t get any offense going against Gomez and he got stuck on bottom. Things to work on. Would have liked to see Facundo/Hamiti.

Really surprised Steen is as outmatched as his is. 2 yrs in the room working with RBY, Gilman, Conway. Didn’t think he’d be a world beater but didn’t expect him to get dominated as he’s been so far. I’m sure he’s working hard. Hope he can turn it around
Van Ness needs to translate his pressure and hand fighting into more leg attacks. Hopefully that comes with time. But he got in super deep on the double and finishes that on a ton of opponents. If he does, the complex of the match changes a bit.

Was on delay and just caught up. Levi’s TD for the major while dog tired was the most impressive thing I saw in a meet filled with points and impressive moments. He could have easily cashed in his 6 point win, but willed himself to another. Looked McDonough like pulling in that leg.

Van Ness needs to translate his pressure and hand fighting into more leg attacks. Hopefully that comes with time. But he got in super deep on the double and finishes that on a ton of opponents. If he does, the complex of the match changes a bit.
true. He did finish, finally, just off the mat! He's there. Jump on for the SVN ride!

I think that was the best I’ve seen Levi look. I’m not sure how he doesn’t go this year after that performance. Complete domination against a good kid. Looks like he should be in the AA conversation
Would you say Levi was putting it on his opponent today?

Agree. He is always moving forward. I love his aggression. He just cannot seem to get those angled leg attacks that seasoned college wrestlers get. I do think, however, that by March, he will be with the best.

Reactions: creamery freak
Looking at Wisconsin's line up they got some big dudes at their weights. Steen looked like HS 120 against Barnett. Max handled Amos, but I don't know how Amos makes wt in March for three days

Agree. He is always moving forward. I love his aggression. He just cannot seem to get those angled leg attacks that seasoned college wrestlers get. I do think, however, that by March, he will be with the best.
Usually with freshman the thing you have to teach if the hand fighting. Probably a pretty good sign that Van Ness has that down already.

He also didn’t really get much of a redshirt year compared previous studs. Nolf and Nickal got like 20 matches IIRC. So he’s really still just getting his feet wet at this level.

UPDATE: Nickal and Nolf each wrestled 17 matches in their redshirt season. As of tonight, Van Ness has 13 college matches. It’ll come.

It felt like a closer match than the score ended up. A stall call at the end of the second and SVN finishing on the edge of the mat and it’s a toss up in the 3rd. He had Gomez exhausted but SVN was tired as well and couldn’t fire off any clean shots in the last minute. I come away thinking that VanNess is right there with the top guys and by the post season he’s going to be a threat to everyone besides probably Yianni

It felt like a closer match than the score ended up. A stall call at the end of the second and SVN finishing on the edge of the mat and it’s a toss up in the 3rd. He had Gomez exhausted but SVN was tired as well and couldn’t fire off any clean shots in the last minute. I come away thinking that VanNess is right there with the top guys and by the post season he’s going to be a threat to everyone besides probably Yianni
I think he’s likely a level below Yianni and well tapered Gomez. But other than that I think he can go with anyone.

Reactions: mcpat
It felt like a closer match than the score ended up. A stall call at the end of the second and SVN finishing on the edge of the mat and it’s a toss up in the 3rd. He had Gomez exhausted but SVN was tired as well and icouldn’t fire off any clean shots in the last minute. I come away thinking that VanNess is right there with the top guys and by the post season he’s going to be a threat to everyone besides probably Yianni
Should have 8 finalists.

You shouldn't be surprised by Steen, particularly when pitted against someone as seasoned and as good as Barnett. Steen wasn't an elite recruit out of high school and still is just a RS freshman. He also needs to get stronger. Expect he'll need at least another year to stay on the mat against guys the caliber of Barnett.

Robert Howard is the guy we want to see at 125, but who knows if that will ever happen, given his unfortunate injury history.

No more matches until Michigan in two weeks? That sucks. Any opens that we might send some guys to?

I know Cael keeps saying Levi won't be at 157 long but I'm like Shane, I don't think he looks like a big 157.
90 Day Fiance Idk GIF by TLC

Should have 8 finalists.
Cannot wait for Iowa to finally come to Penn State for their beatdown on 1/27. Happy you all could beat #28 Illinois in the final match of the night so maybe you’ll be undefeated before your thrashing in Happy Valley.

This just in… our young guys like the super young ones not the ones who won NCAAs already… are going to be really good. Gomez is one of the best kids in the country and has capabilities to beat Yianni. SVN had 2 shots that got 99% of the way there. Levi looks like he’s ready to rag doll 23 year old seniors already. Facundo looks legit. Ahhh we’ve got another round of greatness coming.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT