ADVERTISEMENT

World Championships - Oct. 20-28

Interesting comment about Cael's shadow...though I see quite the opposite. One aspect about leadership is delegating, and if one can't do that (i.e. wants to control everything), they're more a manager than a leader...for those that know the difference.

Thing is...with the workload it takes to run the NLWC, AND the Penn State program, there's plenty of "work" for Cael, Casey, Cody, Jake, Adam, Jess, and on and on. What Cael has done, that some don't see, is recognize the gifts that each of these folks have (things they do better than Cael), and then create an organization that utilizes the best of each person. It's a well-oiled machine, because Cael is humble enough and trusting enough to allow everyone to spread their wings. And spread 'em, they do.

In the context of World's, Casey's the man...make no mistake.
you might see the opposite, good on you. However, outside PSU wrestling, D1 coaching and probably the small group of message board warriors, casey doesnt have the name nor get the recognition that Cael does. thats just a fact and thats what Im referring too and im guessing you knew that.

As for the rest of your post, right on.

I believe Stieber has yet to medal in 3 tries at Sr Worlds. Historically that isn't uncommon, but given the success lately that sort of stands out.

Might be time for Yanni
Killer of a loss for team USA. With all due respect to the former medalists, I can’t help but notice 65 & 70 kg has 2 nice Zain and Jason sized opportunities next year....

I pretty sure Stieber has now represented the US in 3 Sr World Championships without getting a medal.

Obviously he's the best we've got at that weight right now, but I've got to believe there will soon be some young guns after his spot.

I believe Stieber has yet to medal in 3 tries at Sr Worlds. Historically that isn't uncommon, but given the success lately that sort of stands out.

Might be time for Yanni

I pretty sure Stieber has now represented the US in 3 Sr World Championships without getting a medal.

Obviously he's the best we've got at that weight right now, but I've got to believe there will soon be some young guns after his spot.
Logan does have a World Gold--but it was a while back now. You think Yianni over Zain? Or do you think Zain is going 70 next year? JO is probably still in the mix too.

Edit:

Might be time for Yanni

Gold Medal at Worlds in 2016.

Might be time for Yanni

Steiber has a world gold at 61kg. It was well earned but the way he wins his matches (12-10 scores are typical) isn't a recipe for long-term success in FS. He can be scored on too easily, and even though he can dig himself out of holes, opponents become harder to score on when they go up 6-0.

The US has had problems at 65kg for awhile, which is odd given how deep we've been at that weight class--Zain, Stieber, JO, Frank. I'm hoping Zain, now with folk out the way for good, can bump up a level and take over. The last time Zain went on a hiatus he came back a far better wrestler.

Russia’s 70Kg wins Semi. 3-1 ouch needed Georgia there.

Semi-Final 97KG
Kyle Snyder (USA) vs. Hometown Hero Pablo Oliinyk (HUN)

4:40 passivity caution Hungary
4:03 on the clock
3:30 Snyder 1-0
end of first

Pablo’s length giving Kyle some trouble getting clean shots.

2:47 T2 Snyder 3-0
1:48 My stream is down.
from track: ends 3-0

Sadulaev roars into finals 10-0

Last edited:
Reactions: Maddog
Everything you need to know about the status of the team race heading into the next session:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><br>Emergency Men&#39;s Freestyle State of the Union from <a href="https://twitter.com/wrestlingnomad?ref_src=twsrc^tfw">@wrestlingnomad</a> and <a href="https://twitter.com/CPyles8?ref_src=twsrc^tfw">@CPyles8</a>. <br><br>How can we still win it, boys? <a href="https://t.co/xtOc9RlwWg">pic.twitter.com/xtOc9RlwWg</a></p>&mdash; FloWrestling (@FloWrestling) <a href=" ">October 22, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Cholley, for future reference, you don't need to paste the embed code for most social media sites (FB, Instagram, Twitter, Flickr), just the link itself, and Rivals parses it accordingly.

Reactions: lionlover
The last time Zain went on a hiatus he came back a far better wrestler.
Zain rramatically improved in both of his breaks. With the first, he won Cadet Worlds and had a dominant HS SR year. With the other, he terrorized college wrestling.

Reactions: diggerpup
Can't lie. PSU's "redshirt" year is scary for the rest of the freestyle world. It's clear that Nolf and Zain are ready to take the next step.

It will be an interesting year. Some guys will wrestle down for their Olympic weights. And will Nickal challenge DT for the spot or wrestle 92?

Reactions: diggerpup
Behind Flo's paywall, a nice short interview with Casey.

Closes with "I don't know how many times Bo Nickal has had Dave in an underhook over the last month."

So yeah--Bo's been gearing up for the season training with literally the best in the world....Makes me want to revise my odds on who gets a pinfall in Conel vs. Nickal. At least 95-5 now.
I am fairly certain the number is north of 95 that Bo would be the one getting the pin.

bummer for Gman. He probably has next year yet for his time in the sun. i wouldnt bet on it though.

Garbage call in Russia's favor in that 57 kg match. Can't let a world championship get decided like that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT