ADVERTISEMENT

World Championships - Oct. 20-28

Just a thought, but decent possibilitiy next year Spencer replaces Gilman, Zain replaces Lougie and Jason replaces Green. 3 PA boys, with DT 3 PSU kids.
Damn man. Fun times.
And Green, Stieber, and Gilman will all have to work through the same bracket to get their spot back. Everyone else presently on the world team is sitting in finals.

Curious what happens in 2020 when four weights are dropped. For example, if Colon, Cox, and Dake all medal next year too, their 'right' to wait in the final disappears with their weight class, but it seems unfair that they'd have to enter the main bracket of another class. But then any alternative would be unfair to the returning medalists at the Olympic classes. So I wonder if anyone is giong to argue that they deserve some sort of special consideration. Not sure what that would even look like.

Reactions: diggerpup
Japan with the lunger. Looks like a language barrier everyone. Ref says to the trainers, "Is he doing fake?"
Might have been a lunger, but the kid had an offensive weapon and he kept firing away.

Last edited:
Call me crazy, but we win this year with those 3 competing.
I would certainly call it crazy and probably call it stupid but not in the mood for name calling so won't go there. It is presumptuous though given that those three have earned the right to be on the world team which in my opinion is tougher than winning NCAA's and that they have previously medaled in Worlds. I say hold off till someone has taken there spot.

And Green, Stieber, and Gilman will all have to work through the same bracket to get their spot back. Everyone else presently on the world team is sitting in finals.

Curious what happens in 2020 when four weights are dropped. For example, if Colon, Cox, and Dake all medal next year too, their 'right' to wait in the final disappears with their weight class, but it seems unfair that they'd have to enter the main bracket of another class. But then any alternative would be unfair to the returning medalists at the Olympic classes. So I wonder if anyone is giong to argue that they deserve some sort of special consideration. Not sure what that would even look like.

Anyone seriously considering changing weights for an Olympic run who currently sits in a weight that is not an Olympic weight would be wise to do so for next year so they can compete for a year at that weight, and if they are the guy win the weight and represent the U.S. team at worlds. Waiting until after the 2019 words to start their weight change would not be a good move. So, I can see Dake, Cox, and Colon moving after this tournament and starting to prepare their bodies for the 2020 Olympics. I don't think this will be an issue for the U.S. for the 2020 games since those guys will either have won the spot for 2019 and will have had their chance to medal or they will have to work their way through the bracket since they didn't win the spot for 2019.

Just a thought, but decent possibilitiy next year Spencer replaces Gilman, Zain replaces Lougie and Jason replaces Green. 3 PA boys, with DT 3 PSU kids.
Damn man. Fun times.

Any chance Nolf shoots for 74 instead of 70?

I would certainly call it crazy and probably call it stupid but not in the mood for name calling so won't go there. It is presumptuous though given that those three have earned the right to be on the world team which in my opinion is tougher than winning NCAA's and that they have previously medaled in Worlds. I say hold off till someone has taken there spot.

Thanks, bro, I thought so.

Reactions: kingslayer_85
Anyone seriously considering changing weights for an Olympic run who currently sits in a weight that is not an Olympic weight would be wise to do so for next year so they can compete for a year at that weight, and if they are the guy win the weight and represent the U.S. team at worlds. Waiting until after the 2019 words to start their weight change would not be a good move. So, I can see Dake, Cox, and Colon moving after this tournament and starting to prepare their bodies for the 2020 Olympics. I don't think this will be an issue for the U.S. for the 2020 games since those guys will either have won the spot for 2019 and will have had their chance to medal or they will have to work their way through the bracket since they didn't win the spot for 2019.

Assume Dake would be looking to go 74 and Cox 86 for 2020, correct?

So speculation is off limits, or just limited to appropriate. I assume you shall be deemed gate keeper of appropriate assumptions.

Reactions: danoftw
Dake resorted to more of his "old self" in the final: tactical, defensive, low scoring. Not knocking him since he won and since Hasonov didn't do much of anything except maintain good position. Dake did what he had to, but he didn't look like the same offensive wrestler from earlier in the tournament.

Was hoping for a wild show but just happy Dake won, followed his game plan. Was unscored upon entire tournament. Hard to lose when opponents cant even score a pushout.

Reactions: diggerpup
Damn man. Fun times.

Hoping Zain comes out of "vacation" on fire at 65KG and takes out the trash-talking Oliver. And excited to see Nolf again at 70KG, where he gave Green serious competition two years ago. Would like to see Mark Hall compete for a spot at 74KG as well or possibly challenge Dake and others at 79KG. Nickal might jump in, too. How does he do against Taylor in the room or elsewhere?

Assume Dake would be looking to go 74 and Cox 86 for 2020, correct?

Yeah, that would be my guess. I think Dake will drop and challenge Burroughs instead of going up to take on Taylor. If this were 4 years ago that would sound insane, but right now I think he has a better shot at Burroughs at 74kgs than Taylor at 86kgs even though he's had Taylor's number. Cox I'm less sure of. From what everybody says he looks huge at his current weight so if he cuts it'll be interesting and I think he'd really have to start now.

I believe Stieber has yet to medal in 3 tries at Sr Worlds. Historically that isn't uncommon, but given the success lately that sort of stands out.

Might be time for Yanni

I pretty sure Stieber has now represented the US in 3 Sr World Championships without getting a medal.

Obviously he's the best we've got at that weight right now, but I've got to believe there will soon be some young guns after his spot.

You can say that again!;)

I think Zain is a lot more prepared to step into FS and be great right away since he has a background in it. Nolf I believe is still relatively new to FS and will take his lumps in giving up points from positioning that worked in Folk but exposes you in Free

I agree, Zain is much more prepared and could have won a medal this year. I also think that Lee and/or Fix may have placed higher this year than Gilman because they are more offensive. I’m a huge Gilman/Iowa fan but this tournament reminded me of his NCAA failures.

Having a villain isnt such a bad thing... and Russia is well known in many areas besides wrestling, so it could be a plus.

I dont root against Russia because they are from Russia... but then my mind thinks back to the 1972 Olympics and the gold medal basketball game.. you get the idea

See, I love watching LeBron play basketball too because I just love to root against him.. It keeps me watching and hoping he chokes in big spots.. Ditto the Warriors, love to watch them lose, expect when they play a LeBron team

Reactions: Dogwelder
When it comes to world level wrestling the word "weak" never enters my mind.
Fair enough, but the key word in the claim was "relatively". It's relative to other weight classes in the World Championship especially so I would stand by the remark.

Reactions: NittanyChris
Interesting comment about Cael's shadow...though I see quite the opposite. One aspect about leadership is delegating, and if one can't do that (i.e. wants to control everything), they're more a manager than a leader...for those that know the difference.

Thing is...with the workload it takes to run the NLWC, AND the Penn State program, there's plenty of "work" for Cael, Casey, Cody, Jake, Adam, Jess, and on and on. What Cael has done, that some don't see, is recognize the gifts that each of these folks have (things they do better than Cael), and then create an organization that utilizes the best of each person. It's a well-oiled machine, because Cael is humble enough and trusting enough to allow everyone to spread their wings. And spread 'em, they do.

In the context of World's, Casey's the man...make no mistake.

And probably the main reason Casey never took a college head coaching job.

Cael allows him to concentrate on his passion - training up middle/upper weights for both PSU & international freestyle.

Reactions: lionlover
Having a villain isnt such a bad thing... and Russia is well known in many areas besides wrestling, so it could be a plus.

I dont root against Russia because they are from Russia... but then my mind thinks back to the 1972 Olympics and the gold medal basketball game.. you get the idea

See, I love watching LeBron play basketball too because I just love to root against him.. It keeps me watching and hoping he chokes in big spots.. Ditto the Warriors, love to watch them lose, expect when they play a LeBron team
Who is this LeBron you speak of?

Reactions: kingslayer_85
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT