ADVERTISEMENT

2020 Southern Scuffle Thread

If Reenan was that hurt (which he could have been), I don't know what he didn't Mfft out. Why risk the rest of the season for a holiday tournament? I don't know anything, but it wouldn't seem wise to wrestle him at Scuffle if he is significantly injured.
Plus I thought Reenan looked good in his previous bouts during the day.

Didnt Willie break a court order with that tweet? Lol
Tough to know without reading the court's order. But I would have a tough time distinguishing between "covering wrestling" to the extent the non-compete was considered violated and expressing opinions about wrestling like any other fan might do. And that's why a non-compete like this one is so problematic, because enforcing them as drafted drifts into first amendment territory pretty quickly.

Ryan Preisch continues to prove to be a fat-faced dork on twitter

Yeah I saw what he wrote ... is Carter supposed to just take getting an elbow thrown at him?

I had a friend tell me it was disrespectful because it was a service academy wrestler. I responded well he didn't show much respect either to Carter at first. Respect goes two ways.

I just want to say, I love the various personalities of wrestlers that we have. Brooks and Carter seem to be more like Bo when they get disrespected. You hit me, I hit you back.

I remember Amine shoved Zain during the dual meet in 2018 and Zain just signaled to the ref that it happened and had no more to say.

Plus I thought Reenan looked good in his previous bouts during the day.
Why can't the answer be he was afraid to go down and leave it at that. He didn't appear hurt in earlier matched the score was one nothing. He thought a take down was more realistic then getting out from bottom. Beard is that good on top. Can't wait for beard Warner match at some point

I just want to say, I love the various personalities of wrestlers that we have. Brooks and Carter seem to be more like Bo when they get disrespected. You hit me, I hit you back.

I remember Amine shoved Zain during the dual meet in 2018 and Zain just signaled to the ref that it happened and had no more to say.
Nothing to say except enjoy your chiropractor visit
xray-curve-progression.jpg

Yeah I saw what he wrote ... is Carter supposed to just take getting an elbow thrown at him?

I had a friend tell me it was disrespectful because it was a service academy wrestler. I responded well he didn't show much respect either to Carter at first. Respect goes two ways.
If we’re going there, the service academy guy should have more class.

But I don’t believe people in the service are inherently more noble, polite, worthy of respect than those who are not.

Zain did tell the coaches during the stoppage "I'm going to pin him."

I like Zain's style. He did something similar (basically didn't respond) when the Russian tried to rough him up after a match a couple of years ago that Zain had just won (was it Jr World's?).

A related anecdote. A few years ago I was riding a train to the airport after NCAA's in St Louis. Next to us on the train were a couple of Iowa fans. The wife said she really liked Zain and wished he were an Iowa wrestler. She specifically mentioned being impressed with how low-key Zain had been in the face of the Russian's aggression after the match. That's classy!

I like Zain's style. He did something similar (basically didn't respond) when the Russian tried to rough him up after a match a couple of years ago that Zain had just won (was it Jr World's?).

A related anecdote. A few years ago I was riding a train to the airport after NCAA's in St Louis. Next to us on the train were a couple of Iowa fans. The wife said she really liked Zain and wished he were an Iowa wrestler. She specifically mentioned being impressed with how low-key Zain had been in the face of the Russian's aggression after the match.

I've heard that story multiple times! Basically the Russian threw a punch. Was it on the match or did he find him in the hallways later and take a swing? I always envisioned the 2nd scenario for some reason (probably after Gilman told Piccininni they can brawl in the parking lot with no witnesses in the 2017 tournament lol)

A related anecdote. A few years ago I was riding a train to the airport after NCAA's in St Louis. Next to us on the train were a couple of Iowa fans. The wife said she really liked Zain and wished he were an Iowa wrestler. She specifically mentioned being impressed with how low-key Zain had been in the face of the Russian's aggression after the match. That's classy!
"Roughed him up" -- the Russian sucker-punched Zain after losing the match. Zain just stood there and smiled at him.

"Roughed him up" -- the Russian sucker-punched Zain after losing the match. Zain just stood there and smiled at him.
1975, PO's Tim Bainey was wrestling Moshannon Valley's Bob Baxter. Bainey was really good, eventual AAA runner-up that year and Baxter was a not bad senior. Bainey won 14 - 0 and Baxter took a swing and Bainey just smiled while someone yelled from the stands "one ass kicking a day should be enough, don't you think". Most of the gym broke out laughing.

Last edited:
I've heard that story multiple times! Basically the Russian threw a punch. Was it on the match or did he find him in the hallways later and take a swing? I always envisioned the 2nd scenario for some reason (probably after Gilman told Piccininni they can brawl in the parking lot with no witnesses in the 2017 tournament lol)
I think it was in the hallway afterwards--at least I have a picture of that in my mind!

Is that why grip is so bitter lol

Upcoming matches:

165 - Joe Lee:
R12 vs. Meneweather (USAF)
Consi quarters vs. [Shomers (OKST) vs. Jerrell (Drexel)] winner
Consi semis vs. [Griffith (Stanford) vs. Wittlake (OKST)] loser
3rd place match vs. Flynn (Missouri), Wentzel (Pitt), Straw (ISU), Skidgel (Navy), or Bullard (NC State)

174 - Carter Starocci:
Semis vs. Richards (VMI)
Finals vs. [Sherry (Rider) vs. Harvey (Pitt)] winner

197 - Michael Beard:
Semis vs. Traxler (Stanford)
Finals vs. [Adams (WVU) vs. Laird (Rider)] winner

Why can't the answer be he was afraid to go down and leave it at that. He didn't appear hurt in earlier matched the score was one nothing. He thought a take down was more realistic then getting out from bottom. Beard is that good on top. Can't wait for beard Warner match at some point
You may be right, but we don't know what Reenan was thinking or his physical condition, and probably never will. So there is no single right "answer". And, given his injury history, supposition that Reenan might not be 100% is hardly unreasonable. At the start of the 3rd period, Reenan had already been neutral against Beard for almost 5 minutes, with nothing to show for it. So, as noted, his decision to go neutral was at least a bit surprising.

I think that was at the Dave Schultz during Zain’s redshirt year

edit: here’s the match. The Russian hits Zain in the face just after the 8 minute mark. I also remember reading that the Russian went after Zain again in the hallway afterward and Zain ignored him

Last edited:
I picked up on the sarcasm! To have shutout wins over #4 and #19 isn't too shabby for a true FR!
These are great wins but why keep referring to him as a true freshman, he did graduate same year as RBY didn’t he? Not sure I would call him true freshman just because he took a gray shirt.

These are great wins but why keep referring to him as a true freshman, he did graduate same year as RBY didn’t he? Not sure I would call him true freshman just because he took a gray shirt.

The true freshman year has nothing to do when you graduate high school, it is based on when a student athlete first attends college full time

Reactions: PSUer1989
The true freshman year has nothing to do when you graduate high school, it is based on when a student athlete first attends college full time

Right, but the context of the subject is regarding post-HS wrestling experience. The experience of a "grayshirt freshman" may approximate that of a "redshirt freshman", both of which generally exceed that of a "true freshman" in the traditional sense.

You have to be happy with what all three of the freshmen have shown so far. Lee will need to improve on finishes but has the speed and power to become pretty special. I think he ends up being a title contender within a couple of years. Beard will be right there with the very best, and if it were not for the typical troubles young guys have in the bottom position he would be ready to contend this year. Carter must have some holes in his game, but they are sure hard to find for these old eyes. I love how quickly he gets the corner on his shots! I see some David Carr type speed in this guy. Brooks and Kerk added to these three leaves PSU in amazing shape from 165-285 the next several years. I think this year is going to be close- Iowa will win 2021, but 2022-2024 look like PSU domination.

Right, but the context of the subject is regarding post-HS wrestling experience. The experience of a "grayshirt freshman" may approximate that of a "redshirt freshman", both of which generally exceed that of a "true freshman" in the traditional sense.
it's not like you get more team points if you are a 17 year old freshman or there is an asterisk by your name of you are a 30 year old NCAA champ

Reactions: diggerpup
Do you get an asterisk if you win at 4 different weights?
You should get one if you win 4 at the same weight.

But to the point. True freshman in eligibility is strictly by enrollment. But it’s is possible to be a GS, ORS, RD Freshman and be ....well...a Graybeard Freshman. Maybe that’s what we can call one. Like Matt Brown. He was a GIJoe Freshman. Gotta get these names right, dammit.

Joe reminded me of Nick against Demas when he wrestled Bullard. He willingly went into an opponent's wheelhouse IMO to try to prove a point. He beats Bullard if he wrestles his match instead of trying to beat Bullard at his own game.

Honestly - it's not a Lee brothers thing, it's a PSU wrestler thing. It's been said many times, our guys are always confident they'll win unfavorable positions and aren't afraid to mix it up and take a L. Wouldn't have it any other way!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT