ADVERTISEMENT

2020 Southern Scuffle Thread

Joe reminded me of Nick against Demas when he wrestled Bullard. He willingly went into an opponent's wheelhouse IMO to try to prove a point. He beats Bullard if he wrestles his match instead of trying to beat Bullard at his own game.

Honestly - it's not a Lee brothers thing, it's a PSU wrestler thing. It's been said many times, our guys are always confident they'll win unfavorable positions and aren't afraid to mix it up and take a L. Wouldn't have it any other way!

It also would have helped to have some more guidance in the corner. No matter what some say, I have to think Cael would have tried some coaching there.

it's not like you get more team points if you are a 17 year old freshman or there is an asterisk by your name of you are a 30 year old NCAA champ

I don't think anyone suggested or implied that. More about being impressed by where someone lies on the skills:experience curve. As a grayshirted freshman, Beard has more post-HS wrestling exprience than the traditional true freshman, and thus some might view his results yesterday as less impressive than if he were in his first year post-HS. Seems simple
enough to me.

Mike Evans, of course, is equally unimpressed with both. To each his own.

You have to be happy with what all three of the freshmen have shown so far. Lee will need to improve on finishes but has the speed and power to become pretty special. I think he ends up being a title contender within a couple of years. Beard will be right there with the very best, and if it were not for the typical troubles young guys have in the bottom position he would be ready to contend this year. Carter must have some holes in his game, but they are sure hard to find for these old eyes. I love how quickly he gets the corner on his shots! I see some David Carr type speed in this guy. Brooks and Kerk added to these three leaves PSU in amazing shape from 165-285 the next several years. I think this year is going to be close- Iowa will win 2021, but 2022-2024 look like PSU domination.

I hadn't seen Starocci much before the Scuffle. I was really surprised by his speed. He's a very solidly built guy--I wasn't expecting cat-like speed. He really gets in on that leg quickly and is very skilled at finishing (for a true freshman--no question on that one:)!). Very impressive so far!

Joe Lee with a 15-0 1st period tech.

Used a cradle I'm not sure I've seen before. Had his opponents leg cradled. But he had wrist control, and then with his cradling arm, he locked onto the guys forearm for which he had wrist control with the other hand. That's a new one for me.

I'm guessing Cael told Joe to work on turning his opponents. He didn't seem to be working for the pin -- just the swipes. :) 15-0 TF.

Reactions: diggerpup
Joe Lee is up against Air Force's Menewaether on mat 1.
- Lee earns a stall warning at edge.
- Meneweather dives, Lee easily goes behind, up 2-0. Now looking cradle, gets 4 NF. Again with a modified cradle, now up 10-0. Looks to have that same cradle tight and there's another 4. Now it's 15-0 (stall point?) for the tech.

good match by Lee - xface cradle for 12 (3 times)... where did the other point come from - stalling? Somehow I missed that... did see the warning though

Joe Lee gets Jarrell (Drexel) next, and then the loser of the Griffith v Wittlake match. :)

Last edited:
Interestingly enough Meneweather had Rd32 6-0 Dec, Rd16 4-2 Dec loss to #4 Wittlake (remember when he was a PSU top recruit), then in Consis he had 2 consecutive pins before he ran into Joe and got taken to the woodshed.

Joe is super impressive and I hope he gets a shot at Wittlake just as another validation point.

Another observation. Wittlake at 165, what a joke? John Smith ruins yet another great wrestler with a foolish cut. He was a target 184+ for us.

Joe Lee with a 15-0 1st period tech.

Used a cradle I'm not sure I've seen before. Had his opponents leg cradled. But he had wrist control, and then with his cradling arm, he locked onto the guys forearm for which he had wrist control with the other hand. That's a new one for me.
was good for the swipes but I don't think he would have got a pin with that. Must be a strong boy!

Reactions: TangSoo
Interestingly enough Meneweather had Rd32 6-0 Dec, Rd16 4-2 Dec loss to #4 Wittlake (remember when he was a PSU top recruit), then in Consis he had 2 consecutive pins before he ran into Joe and got taken to the woodshed.

Joe is super impressive and I hope he gets a shot at Wittlake just as another validation point.

Another observation. Wittlake at 165, what a joke? John Smith ruins yet another great wrestler with a foolish cut. He was a target 184+ for us.
To be honest we need t see how Wittlake's career develops, OTOH, I hope Travis enjoys dreams about food since he obviously won't be eating much the next few years.

Anyone notice Carter working his opponents fingers over on top? Its seemed to piss some guys off, lol. I heard through the rumor mill he actually did the same thing to Cael on his official visit and Cael was shocked.

Also in reference to Carter showing some David Carr speed, Carter's first Novice wrestling coach was David Carr's uncle the late Jimmy Carr. Pretty good coach to start wrestling with.

Today I think we really learn something about young JLee.

Rag doll those you should
Beat those you should
Pick up wins here and there against those on paper you should lose too.

Seems like a pretty successful freshman/tr freshman campaign in a brown shirt (red+grey=brown)

Anyone notice Carter working his opponents fingers over on top? Its seemed to piss some guys off, lol. I heard through the rumor mill he actually did the same thing to Cael on his official visit and Cael was shocked.

Also in reference to Carter showing some David Carr speed, Carter's first Novice wrestling coach was David Carr's uncle the late Jimmy Carr. Pretty good coach to start wrestling with.
Jimmy was one of my assistants at that time. Great coach to have in the room.

Well, at least Smith is consistent--he made his own son do it last year, when 174 clearly would have been a better weight for him. It's hard to believe that Joe got beat out by Jacobe Smith at 174.

Jimmy was one of my assistants at that time. Great coach to have in the room.

Were you there at the NOVICE tourney when the 200 pounder came out of the stands to beat Jimmys ass after Jimmy mouthed off to his wife? NorthEast I believe

Then when the AD asked him to leave the gym,he walked past the entire bleachers holding up #1 sign

Hilarious

Police were called and IIRC Jimmy got cuffed and stuffed.

GREAT WRESTLER
Good coach? Thats debatable.

Reactions: danoftw
Were you there at the NOVICE tourney when the 200 pounder came out of the stands to beat Jimmys ass after Jimmy mouthed off to his wife? NorthEast I believe

Then when the AD asked him to leave the gym,he walked past the entire bleachers holding up #1 sign

Hilarious

GREAT WRESTLER

I didn't say "Role Model" lol.

Hilarious

GREAT WRESTLER
No was not there and if I recall correctly that was when he was still coaching with team erie. And like I said a great coach in the room. At tournaments sometimes his emotions got the better of him.

No was not there and if I recall correctly that was when he was still coaching with team erie. And like I said a great coach in the room. At tournaments sometimes his emotions got the better of him.

Yeah it was Team Erie, he was a character, no doubt.

Still a great win for Beard.

But, Reenan didn't look 100%. He attempted a bunch of throw-bys w/ little intent to follow through. He barely moved after he got to Beard's legs on the last couple shots he took.

There's no way he would choose neutral there if he was a 100% healthy.
Reenan has been called "looking hurt" for the past couple years. I think this is the new normal. He is 100% the guy you pick in a NCAA pool because his ceiling is way higher than most and his seed is going to come in poorly with some of these losses he's taking. He can compete with anyone, he could also go 0-2 at NCAAs. Beard knew how to win that match and to get in some sloppy takedown fest had the potential to not work well for Beard. Move on from that hornet's nest and get your bonus points on someone else.

Good stuff. Never even thought about the Erie connection there.

Hilarious

GREAT WRESTLER

God Level.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT