ADVERTISEMENT

2020 Southern Scuffle Thread

Reenan has been called "looking hurt" for the past couple years. I think this is the new normal. He is 100% the guy you pick in a NCAA pool because his ceiling is way higher than most and his seed is going to come in poorly with some of these losses he's taking. He can compete with anyone, he could also go 0-2 at NCAAs. Beard knew how to win that match and to get in some sloppy takedown fest had the potential to not work well for Beard. Move on from that hornet's nest and get your bonus points on someone else.
Reenan tore his ACL last December and still qualified for NCAA's. He may not be fully 100% but still better than most at the weight.

Reactions: slushhead
Joe Lee, Carter Starocci, and Michael Beard are all RS Freshman and have all looked awesome this tournament. This is a great experience to wrestle seasoned and ranked opponents. They have shown themselves well and are only going to get better. I have been impressed. They can hang with anyone. The future is bright.

Shoop was up 2-0 against Gfeller but got reversed and plowed to his back...for the fall
Ref let Gfeller put Shoop's knee in a bad spot during the turn. Was focused on whether Shoop was in criteria and didn't see his leg getting ripped off, which was why he was going to his back in the first place.

How about mauve.
Hey, if you are secure in your masculinity, you dont need to worry about the color of your shirt.
Do mauve shirts come with a lemon twist? :)
C6gyhP2WsAAwOt2.jpg

Starocci with the blitzkrieg victory over Richards (VMI), who looked bewildered and beleaguered at every turn. I think Richards may have attempted one shot. He was on his heels the whole match. Impressive performance by Carter!

6-2 Carter end 2nd. 3 min riding.
3rd. Carter on bottom.
ESCAPE 7-2
STALL POINT? 8-2
:30 left
RIDING TIME 2:54. 9-2 final.
On to the finals.

CS is a hammer on top. Some guys are better on top than others. I can't image how good he will be as a senior and 4 more years in the room.

Reactions: diggerpup
#26 Beard next on Mat 3. #9 Traxler of Stanford. (WrestleStat Rankings)

Only one common Opponent: Bulsak. Beard 1-1. Traxler 2-0. All decisions. No bonus.
https://www.wrestlestat.com/compare/wrestler/50614/beard-michael/45395/traxler-nathan

P1:
td Traxler 0-2
REVERSAL 2-2
4NF 6-2
End of 1. 6-2 Beard. Just under 1 min riding.

P2:
Beard on bottom
No scoring. Rideout by Traxler 1+ min riding.

P3:
Neutral
td and 2nf. 6-6
2nf 6-8
ESC 7-8
:30 RT locked
Beard loses 9-7 with RT.

Last edited:
Reactions: danoftw
good win by Carter. Richards was one of those kids with adult strength in HS and kicked a lot of butt. Pyles, who claims he knows all about wrestling in Virginia, tells his co-host that Richards, from Matoaca HS is 'somewhere near the beach'. Matoaca, is 10 - 15 miles south of Richmond (not near the beach - a term used for the Va Beach & Norfolk area. They won the Va state championship a few times as well. Good program.

Reactions: danoftw
I like the Pitt uniforms with the H2P and the image of the Cathedral of Learning on the back. I assume those are new -- because the alternative is that I haven't been paying attention. :) Full disclosure (Dad went to Pitt).

Reactions: mcruny42
good win by Carter. Richards was one of those kids with adult strength in HS and kicked a lot of butt. Pyles, who claims he knows all about wrestling in Virginia, tells his co-host that Richards, from Matoaca HS is 'somewhere near the beach'. Matoaca, is 10 - 15 miles south of Richmond (not near the beach - a term used for the Va Beach & Norfolk area. They won the Va state championship a few times as well. Good program.

Pyles lives in the Shenandoah Valley (Winchester), so south of Richmond probably seems like "somewhere near the beach" to him!

Beard with a sweet reversal and a tilt. 6-2 lead after 1 with 51 seconds of riding time. Great start!

Beard put himself on his back in a scramble to get a reversal unfortunately. Fought pretty damn hard to not get pinned.

Tired himself out. This is a match he should have won.

Beard put himself on his back in a scramble to get a reversal unfortunately. Fought pretty damn hard to not get pinned.

Tired himself out. This is a match he should have won.
Didn't see it, but sometimes an escape is just as good as a reversal. Something that Verk needs to learn.

Pyles lives in the Shenandoah Valley (Winchester), so south of Richmond probably seems like "somewhere near the beach" to him!
I know where he is from - outside of Staunton. Doesn't live there any longer. Had a conversation with the HS coach a couple of years back. Interesting conversation.

Reactions: tomsc
Beard drops a tough 7-9 decision. Honestly, he's lucky he didn't get stuck in the 2nd period.

Solid effort by Beard...was gassed the last two minutes due to fighting for over a minute to get off his back and avoid being pinned.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT