ADVERTISEMENT

2020 Southern Scuffle Thread

I see so much Dylan Alton in Joe Lee. Hopefully the scrambling improves. Dylan's never did. Bullard is obviously really good there.

Lee didn't look tired to me, that dude is just too crafty in the scramble for him right now. I don't remember Bullard trying one offensive move on the feet in that match.

Reactions: diggerpup
Feel really good with Mr Lee. Crazy scrambles. Easily getting to guys legs. What PSU does best get into those situations in the room and figure them out. Great learning experience.

Last edited:
Lee is fine, that was 3 exact same funk counter take downs...Lee will learn a valuable lesson from that loss. Lee was the Aggressor and put himself in that danger each time....just don't take that shot. Why go to that same shot 3 times? He will learn

Joe Lee wrestles very differently than his brother, and that's not a comment on their stages of development. He just got lost in those scrambles but that'll improve. Bullard was crafty and knew what he wanted to do each time.

I see so much Dylan Alton in Joe Lee. Hopefully the scrambling improves. Dylan's never did. Bullard is obviously really good there.
You can't judge Lee's scrambling abilities off that match.

If you've seen Bullard get to a crotch lift in any match, you've seen him score. Its basically his entire arsenal in neutral. Its what he does and if you wrestle there you're right in his wheelhouse. Even when Lee knew it was coming and tried to flatten for the stalemate he was dead.

That was more a testament to Lee needing to finish cleaner. You can't stop your knees against that guy.

Now up...
Carter Starocci vs #3 Carey (NAVY)

1st Period
Carter with the first TAKEDOWN, up 2-0
Riding tough
Escape, then a Starocci TAKEDOWN, 4-1
Period ends there, Carter with 1:54 RT

2nd Period
Carey takes bottom
Another good ride, 2:40 RT and counting
Escape, then a Starocci TAKEDOWN, 6-2
Over 3 min RT
End of 2

3rd Period
Starocci chooses down
ESCAPE, 7-2
TAKEDOWN, 9-2, RT Point assured
Escape, 9-3
Takedown Carey, 10-5 after a Carter ESCAPE
TAKEDOWN Starocci, and a rideout makes it 13-5 Major Decision

Last edited:
You can't judge Lee's scrambling abilities off that match.

If you've seen Bullard get to a crotch lift in any match, you've seen him score. Its basically his entire arsenal in neutral. Its what he does and if you wrestle there you're right in his wheelhouse. Even when Lee knew it was coming and tried to flatten for the stalemate he was dead.

That was more a testament to Lee needing to finish cleaner. You can't stop your knees against that guy.

I'm not basing on one match. Mattox got him a few times in these positions last summer as well. Im sure if you go back, you'll continue to find examples.

Lee run out of Gas?

Bullard did nothing but Lee fell into the trap too many times.
Didn't see the match but three TDs by Bullard doesn't seem like "nothing". Whatever the case, it's a disappointing result. Bullard is no slouch, but thought Lee had a legit shot to win. At the minimum, expected a closer bout. :(

Reactions: Jrjt0518
Starocci dominates. 3:30 riding time, went for the Major.

Seems to have a little Bo in him as well attitude wise lol.

so what was lee's score?
Now up...
Joe Lee vs #3 Thomas Bullard (NCST)

Period 1
TAKEDOWN, about 10 seconds in, Lee up 2-0
Gives the escape, then almost immediately another TAKEDOWN, it's Lee 4-1
Escape, 4-2
1 min to go in the first
Takedown Bullard, now 4-4
End of first

2nd Period
Bullard takes down
Escape, 4-5 Bullard
1 minute to go in the 2nd
Takedown Bullard, 4-7
End 2

3rd Period

Neutral start
Takedown Bullard, third one of the counter-variety, 4-9
Bout ends that way, Lee loses 4-9

Reactions: Str8DBLz
Didn't see the match but three TDs by Bullard doesn't seem like "nothing". Whatever the case, it's a disappointing result. Bullard is no slouch, but thought Lee had a legit shot to win. At the minimum, expected a closer bout. :(

haha obviously he did a great job scrambling and turning Joe's shots into his own scores, but like someone else said if Joe stopped shooting he may very well have won, Bullard (wisely) never considered a shot of his own.

Beard up vs #6 Reenan (NCST)

1st Period
No score, 2 minutes in
Period ends 0-0

2nd Period
Beard takes bottom, gets a quick ESCAPE, up 1-0
Clock malfunction, delay
1 minute gone, still 1-0
End of 2

3rd Period
Reenan takes neutral
1 minute gone
Stall vs Beard
Beard wins 1-0!!

Last edited:
I dont expect Joe Lee to know that he would be shooting into Bullards wheel house. Thats what coaches are for and I think they would have addressed that in the match.

Also, NLee has a similar habit of his attacking getting him into trouble.

In the end I think we all would rather have the aggression and learn from losses than not have the aggression and still deal with the loss.

Carter looked real good.

Starocci dominates. 3:30 riding time, went for the Major.

Seems to have a little Bo in him as well attitude wise lol.
The hyper-competitive streak has always been there, and it's gonna come out more and more as he gains familiarity at this level.

Witness (for Flo subscribers) last year's Powerade final vs. Nijenhuis: leading late, Starocci protected his lead by shooting and scoring. Nijenhuis took exception. Starocci was having none of it.
https://www.flowrestling.org/video/...-erie-prep-vs-gerrit-nijenhuis-canon-mcmillan

Good write-up here, plus Starocci's post-match interview:
https://www.papowerwrestling.com/powerade-ends-in-fireworks-with-1-starocci-beating-2-nijenhuis/

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT