ADVERTISEMENT

2020 Southern Scuffle Thread

You think? If Beard is as good as many around here seem to think, I would expect him to handle someone like Pagano. Pretty much like he did.
I don't disagree at all and he obviously handled him as I also expected, but if you think wrestling a top 20 senior is not a test for a redshirting freshman than ouch. Thankfully he passed the Test with flying colors, I even gave him a sticker in the corner:)
giphy.gif

Reactions: diggerpup
Seems they are a bit behind. Almost 50 bouts to go in the current Consolation Round, then there's 40 in the next Consy Round, plus the 40 Championship Quarters. Guessing they will run four mats for Quarters, and keep the Consy's going on the other four.

Reactions: Afw6006
Pagano ranked #19 by Intermat. 9-0 is what beard should do by our standards.

Real test is next match with Reenan #4.

Mr. Beard how do you do, maybe?

PS-thanks to Roar and others for the updates came in handy today
I don't disagree with you, but come on..a #19 senior vs a redshirt freshman is not a test. Granted its not the Final Exam, but can we at least agree to call it a Quiz??

Reactions: danoftw
Joe Smith lost by MFOR to Navy’s D. Caravela in the Consis Rd 16. Meanwhile, back on Flo’s home page is the headline: “Joe Smith is BACK!” With the subheading, “First match of the year. Joe Smith is good to go!” Talk about posts that didn’t age well.

Also, Tariq Wilson barely avoids the 2nd upset of the Scuffle, this time in the Consi Rd 16 to Cole Matthews (PITT). Wilson wins 2-1 in TB2

Really? They are at least an hour behind schedule and now they are going to be holding quarterfinal bouts so they start at the same time? They are making a long night for themselves.

Also, Tariq Wilson barely avoids the 2nd upset of the Scuffle, this time in the Consi Rd 16 to Cole Matthews (PITT). Wilson wins 2-1 in TB2
Matthews would've been a minor upset. I don't think he makes the podium this year but he will qualify, win a couple matches, and make everyone beat him. 21-4 last year.

Granted, these 3 will make an immediate impact next year, I believe Iowa will be even better.
They lose Lugo only, right, and gain Eireman.
Iowa loses Lugo and Wilcke, but gains Eireman, who looks to fill in very nicely at either 141 or 149 (probably the latter). Kemerer will likely be granted a sixth year if he wants it. So, yeah, they are stout this season and should be even more stacked in 2020-21.

Reactions: pointingdogsrule
Reenan ranked 11 on Flo, if Beard gets worked by him I would be a bit concerned

Gonna do a Lemon Pie and predict with absolute certainty that Nick Reenan is too much for Beard to handle at this stage of their respective careers.

Agree if we're talking a 100% Nick Reenan. He's a huge talent with unfortunate luck. We'll see! Looking forward to it. Good news is that there are also some good wrestlers to be found in the 197 consis.

Reactions: tikk10
Iowa loses Lugo and Wilcke, but gains Eireman, who looks to fill in very nicely at either 141 or 149 (probably the latter). Kemerer will likely be granted a sixth year if he wants it. So, yeah, they are stout this season and should be even more stacked in 2020-21.

Thx Bruce, wasnt sure bout Wilke, but either way, they have a good replacement, oh and Nelson too ;)

He should just sign whatever they put in front of him, then plead incapacity when he wants out and the contract will be voided.

Can’t legally contract with a minor.

oops - I let the cat out of the bag
A bunch of Columbia House cassette tapes getting played back in the day. Pick 11 for a penny and a 12th for free then you just have to... nope,that's where it ended for five 15/16 year old kids in the driver's grandma's Dart cruising around blasting Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap, drinking beer and stuff, and under contract to buy more music at full price.

Thought that was a TD at the end for Latona against Picc. But, Picc survives since Red Shirts can't challenge (I think? Assuming he's RS, watching on mute).

Reactions: Str8DBLz and bigs22
Latona (VT redshirt) gave Picc all he could handle. Thought he had the edge takedown to tie, but wasn’t given and no brick since he’s unattached. VT has some nice pieces.

His 4-3 match against App St. last month definitely leaves some question marks.
You guys got me curious. So far today at the Scuffle, Reenan has defeated Deprez (Binghamton, Lou's brother) 16-6 and Smith (Cleveland State) 13-5. So a couple major decisions up to this point.

Joe Smith lost by MFOR to Navy’s D. Caravela in the Consis Rd 16. Meanwhile, back on Flo’s home page is the headline: “Joe Smith is BACK!” With the subheading, “First match of the year. Joe Smith is good to go!” Talk about posts that didn’t age well.

Joe Smith is likely only wrestling because of the family name. He’s been going through the motions for most of the last 2 years

I am not saying Reenan isn't good, but if Beard is as good as we hope he is then he should be competitive with Reenan.
I was mostly kidding by subtly referencing two recent Lemon Pie predictions that turned out perfectly wrong; today's and I think Colaiocco over Brandon Meredith earlier this season (but take my teasing in good humor; LP pays closer attention than I do, and is right more often than wrong).

I do think that Beard probably isn't quite up to Nick Reenan's best day just yet, but it wouldn't surprise me to see Beard win either, I think he'll be close. Beard looks better than he looked at the Clarion open, but he's not really been tested by anyone this season, other than in his loss to Bulsak.

I was mostly kidding by subtly referencing two recent Lemon Pie predictions that turned out perfectly wrong; today's and I think Colaiocco over Brandon Meredith earlier this season (but take my teasing in good humor; LP pays closer attention than I do, and is right more often than wrong).

I do think that Beard probably isn't quite up to Nick Reenan's best day just yet, but it wouldn't surprise me to see Beard win either, I think he'll be close. Beard looks better than he looked at the Clarion open, but he's not really been tested by anyone this season, other than in his loss to Bulsak.
Subtle doesn't cut it on this board; you should understand that by now. :eek::oops:

Now up...
Joe Lee vs #3 Thomas Bullard (NCST)

Period 1
TAKEDOWN, about 10 seconds in, Lee up 2-0
Gives the escape, then almost immediately another TAKEDOWN, it's Lee 4-1
Escape, 4-2
1 min to go in the first
Takedown Bullard, now 4-4
End of first

2nd Period
Bullard takes down
Escape, 4-5 Bullard