ADVERTISEMENT

2023 Senior worlds September 16-24

MAN OH MAN.

Wish lee had pulled that trigger early... Would have been a different match.

Amouzad is so good. and tough. I thought Lee was going to get that pin.

Reactions: js8793
Lol, iranian just had one of the biggest adrenaline dumps of all time after getting tossed. can barely compose himself.

that's a brutal match up for lee. underhook and pressure took away all of his baseline offense. very impressive for him to find a way to that angle for the polish throw. he's quietly one of the best upper body wrestlers we have.

Hopefully Nick did not wear the Iranian out too much for his semi-final bout!
He'll recover just fine. 1045 or so until semis start.

I would LOVE some insight into how the Iranians train. I know its closer to overtraining - but they wrestle with so much effort from the start.

Wrestled till the whistle. My uneducated guess is Nick gets pulled back in.

That is if the Iranian can recover for the next match from wrestling Nick.

I <3 Nick Lee. Even when you win, you lose. He is everything a wrestler should be.

jX3E9PeVGa.webp

MAN OH MAN.

Wish lee had pulled that trigger early... Would have been a different match.

Amouzad is so good. and tough. I thought Lee was going to get that pin.
in hindsight, he'd have been better served to try to throw him the whole match and hope the iranian wilts under that pressure. way easier said than done. could have ended up 10-0 quick doing that. he had absolutely nothing basic against him. good showing though. that iranian is one of my favs.

In the world of touch falls, that's a pin when Yazdani releases the hold and Taylor pushes back thru with his legs.

Not that (1) the ref was in position to call it, (2) any ref ever would. But Yazdani was stacked momentarily.

Would've been hilarious if they had called the pin on replay.
My brother and I were talking about the UWW "touch" fall, and how it usually takes 20+ seconds, a commitee meeting, and a "last call, you sure?" stare to call.

Played right into Iran's hands here. Sure hope that Amouzad can recover and win his Semi now, would hate for the "zain effect" to translate here.

I think if the wrestle again Lee wins. Needed to know how to counter the same move for all 3 tds.
Man. I don't see how. He won't be able to hit that throw again - you saw Amouzad make the adjustment to the throw. And he has an entire series off that underhook (hip toss, snap, throwby, double, drive)

DT showed how to beat the Iranian - you have to keep them off the hook and if they do get there - you have to get them off and attack immediately.

Hopefully Nick didn't ruin his chance for a medal by separating Amouzad's shoulder when he ran that arm bar. Amouzad didn't appear to be favoring it afterwards but he was completely gassed. He'll have some time before the next match.

Nick almost decks him at the end but didn't get it. Loses 7-4.

Also, great sportsmanship from Nick Lee. Iranians like that and they might actually cheer for him in repechage.

My brother and I were talking about the UWW "touch" fall, and how it usually takes 20+ seconds, a commitee meeting, and a "last call, you sure?" stare to call.

Played right into Iran's hands here. Sure hope that Amouzad can recover and win his Semi now, would hate for the "zain effect" to translate here.
Touch falls don't exist anymore and the judge HAS to confirm any falls. It's a better product than a touch fall, i think.

Reactions: 7brwnpsu and js8793
Snyder gives up a four off a chest wrap going oob to Tazhudinov (BRN), trails 4-0 in his quarter.
  • Snyder gives up a step out that could've been two more at the edge; and it was. 6-0.
  • Snyder in on legs and gets flipped! 10-0. Challenge.
  • Snyder loses 11-0. Tazhudinov had an answer for everything. Wow.

Yup. Right side under hook to a throw by each time.
This your first time watching that Iranian? Everybody knows what's coming. Nobody can stop it. He's that good. His last loss was 2021 worlds when he was wrestling seniors as a junior. He's their next big star.

Reactions: vhsalum
Touch falls don't exist anymore and the judge HAS to confirm any falls. It's a better product than a touch fall, i think.
I don't disagree--but didn't realize it was codified. I'm not sure I like the judge confirmation--the ref on the mat will typically always have the best vantage.

Welp, people need to be accurate with their exclamations, hah. Sad looks beatable, clearly

Wow, with 10 seconds left, Sadulaev stuffs IRI's shot and plows through him with underhooks. Takes him to his back where IRI doesn't even fight. Sadulaev with the fall. Both are exhausted.

Reactions: danoftw
I'm in shock that just happend to Snyder. This was the year to beat Sadulaev aswell. One of the only bad matches I've watched the USA wrestle here

Correct me if I'm wrong, Sadulaev has to lose in the semis for Kyle to medal??
Yep--Tazhudinov, the guy who just beat Snyder, needs to beat Sadulaev for Snyder to survive. It doesn't seem impossible given how good Tazhudinov just looked and how iffy Sadulaev has looked.

The Snyder/Sudulaev match could still happen. It just won't be for gold.

If Amouzad beats Musukaev, Nick will be in repechage and have to beat one guy before he sees Musukaev for bronze.

Yep--Tazhudinov, the guy who just beat Snyder, needs to beat Sadulaev for Snyder to survive. It doesn't seem impossible given how good Tazhudinov just looked and how iffy Sadulaev has looked.
Tazhudinov is dagestani and trains in the same club. Not gonna happen. Russian transfers don't beat Russians at worlds. This would be a major change in policy.

Taz is legit though. Next big thing. Only 20 and beat Goleij handily at Asians.

Reactions: tikk10
Also, Rivera's route to the semi-finals shows you the advantages of wrestling in a good number of Ranking Series events. Unless you're a Dake or Taylor type, and it just doesn't matter, accumulating points through those events can provide you with a pretty smooth ride to the semis.

Reactions: nerfstate
Tazhudinov is dagestani and trains in the same club. Not gonna happen. Russian transfers don't beat Russians at worlds. This would be a major change in policy.

Taz is legit though. Next big thing. Only 20 and beat Goleij handily at Asians.
... yeah....

Reactions: danoftw
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT