ADVERTISEMENT

2024-25 PSU Lineup (The Dynasty Continues)

This is where I stand as well. If Facundo can make 157, then have at it and may the best man win. I get that Kasak looks like the easiest path to a starting spot between him, MM, Levi. or Starocci (where the other three are favorites to at least make the finals if not win it all), but I share your opinion that the cut would give a full feed Kasak the advantage in a wrestleoff, but we'll see, I guess. Getting the most out of guys by not subjecting them to strength-sapping cuts is one of the key parts of Cael's revolution of the sport.

It's also worth mentioning that Facundo is better at freestyle than folkstyle. It will be a challenge for him to defeat Kasak, who placed 3rd at NCAA's last year.

I think it's great he is trying, but he will have his work cut out for him.

Last edited:
Reactions: Antaeus
It's also worth mentioning that Facundo is better at freestyle than folkstyle. It will be a challenge for him to defeat Kasak, who placed 3rd at NCAA's last year.

I think it's great he is trying, but he will have his work cut out for him.
Yeah, he's in a really tough spot where doing a steep cut to face a returning 3rd place finisher on full feed is your best shot at a lineup spot, but it is what it is at PSU. Unfortunately, I think that this is his last year at PSU before he portals out to greener pastures where he will have a chance to AA and possibly challenge MM for the title at nationals next year. We'll see, though. Facundo is also a top tier elite wrestler, so you never know how this will shake out. I wouldn't bet against him in anything resembling normal competition, which the PSU room clearly is not.

Yeah, he's in a really tough spot where doing a steep cut to face a returning 3rd place finisher on full feed is your best shot at a lineup spot, but it is what it is at PSU. Unfortunately, I think that this is his last year at PSU before he portals out to greener pastures where he will have a chance to AA and possibly challenge MM for the title at nationals next year. We'll see, though. Facundo is also a top tier elite wrestler, so you never know how this will shake out. I wouldn't bet against him in anything resembling normal competition, which the PSU room clearly is not.
If he does portal you have to imagine Michigan would be the front runner

Reactions: wrestlingfan22
Facundo is so hard to get a read on, his best weight appears to be 165/74kg and I am curious what he ends up doing. I agree that he probably spends this year getting spot starts but is on the bench for the postseason. I would guess he stays with NLWC through the US Open freestyle cycle but then transfers out. Michigan makes a lot of sense IMO as a destination, he is from there and they will have a hole at 174. Him and BeauMan can cover 165/174.

How much if any was his cut when he was 165
It was said that he was taking a red shirt to bulk up. does anyone know if he had trouble adding the weight? Maybe he just could not put on muscle that was needed to move up. What did he weight in at the Olympic trials?

Yeah, I think Alex's performance at Nationals was a perfect negative storm, not so different from Braeden Davis last year. Most give Braeden a pass because he was a true freshman. In both cases, they underachieved and in both cases had the bracket been a little different or had they wrestled a little more aggressively, I think an AA would have been assured.

What seems abundantly clear is Alex's natural wrestling weight is probably 165, and a bump up would be a nice thick 174. The only problem being MM and Levi are simply better hammers that he can't beat. Who can?

That leaves this brutal drop to 157 as his last viable option to break into the starting lineup. I don't see this as a path to success, even if he were able to beat Kasak. All things considered equal, my money will almost always favor a weight gainer over a very steep cutter.

It was said that he was taking a red shirt to bulk up. does anyone know if he had trouble adding the weight? Maybe he just could not put on muscle that was needed to move up. What did he weight in at the Olympic trials?
Olympic Trials (when he beat Levi) he would have weighed in at 74kg/163. He won Pan Ams at 79kg/174 (against weak competition)

Like I said, I expect Facundo and Nagao to go in the Fall. The option to redshirt Kasak and Davis exist.

I imagine Cael will want to make the final lineup decision by January before the Big Ten duals.

Kasak and Davis can wrestle opens to get their matches while unattached (the 5 free dates is just for true freshman)

Like I said, I expect Facundo and Nagao to go in the Fall. The option to redshirt Kasak and Davis exist.

I imagine Cael will want to make the final lineup decision by January before the Big Ten duals.

Kasak and Davis can wrestle opens to get their matches while unattached (the 5 free dates is just for true freshman)
I think Nagao may also be sitting to start the year if he is as injured as people have said. Give him the option to recover and potentially get a medical year. Maybe Garcia gets the 133 action to start the year

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT