ADVERTISEMENT

B1G Tournament -- Session 2 Thread

That's cocky....we have Not performed well in this tournament
I'm sorry. At what weight did you step on the line? What weight is "Expert"? Every young man put their toe on the line and did the absolute best they could. I don't think it is cool to dump on them. " I am hoping and expect that............ improves their offense/defense/bonus point production" etc. is one way to post opinions without dismissing or demeaning. Anyone that spent any amount of time with young people knows they hurt when they lose. Putting them down hurts even more. They and their parents and friends also read. Do better. Damned proud of them all.

Lots of continuing talk about Beau and 133 next year. 133 is a loooong way down from 141 and 1/2. Who do we think we are, Oky St? There are no guarantees, and even if Beau could shrink down, noone has any idea what he might have left in the tank after getting there. If forced to bet, I survive he would fare worse, and finish lower. I would much rather he gain a couple of lbs of good weight and stay 141 next year.

Interestingly enough, zero talk about SVN. Hasn't anyone noticed a before/after pictures of his face in the past 2 years? I speculate he is a more natural 141 than 149, and gets horsed a bit by the most elite 149s. No, I do not think he and Beau should both go down next year.

I do think both are not quite let 'optimal' for their current weights and a small handful of lbs of good weight/muscle will help them peak where they are. Expect both to continue to get better next year, because of this factor, let alone increased skill.

Reactions: shirey20
Well, he is the one who underperformed today, he must be persecuted. So says the board.

FH1WVquWQAAPlMN

Lots of continuing talk about Beau and 133 next year. 133 is a loooong way down from 141 and 1/2. Who do we think we are, Oky St? There are no guarantees, and even if Beau could shrink down, noone has any idea what he might have left in the tank after getting there. If forced to bet, I survive he would fare worse, and finish lower. I would much rather he gain a couple of lbs of good weight and stay 141 next year.

Interestingly enough, zero talk about SVN. Hasn't anyone noticed a before/after pictures of his face in the past 2 years? I speculate he is a more natural 141 than 149, and gets horsed a bit by the most elite 149s. No, I do not think he and Beau should both go down next year.

I do think both are not quite let 'optimal' for their current weights and a small handful of lbs of good weight/muscle will help them peak where they are. Expect both to continue to get better next year, because of this factor, let alone increased skill.
I think they should both move down and no, that doesn't make you Oklahoma State.. both are clearly small for the weight.

Great tournament by the kids so far. Bartlett does have issue with lanky guys, the 3 freshman are doing very well maybe not what some here want but all 3 going to the big dance as freshman is great. Lets keep cheering for them to keep pushing forward and hope they can AA. They vets on the team just keep on winning, thats all we should hope for. Coaches are doing a great job with these young men.

Well I got yelled at when the round was over. Jacob Warner’s mom came and said I was disrespectful to her son for celebrating Dean’s win while looking right at her. Of course she was just a random Iowa fan to me, no clue who she was.

Oh well!
Max dean is to Jacob Warner as

RBY is to ——————-

(I’m pretty sure this is an actual sat analogies question)

Last edited:
Reactions: 86PSUPaul
He's easy to ignore or laugh at when he's proven wrong so much. I mean he literally said PSU is having a bad tournament meanwhile they have 6 in the finals and another two in the consolation semis. They are in position to win by 30 points over a very good Iowa team.

It's a fools errand to troll Penn State Wrestling.

Last edited:

The discussion of Beau to 133 is interesting. He still looks small and gets horsed at 141 (which makes qualifying for 149 even more impressive), so I guess it seems like a natural assumption that he could do it with the spot opening up next year. It would also solve a big lineup problem as well with the lack of elite lightweights next year with the uncertainty around Robbie’s health/future.

On the other hand, a big part of Cael’s success has been turning traditional wrestling axioms on their head. In our competitive days, coaches would ask what is the lowest weight you can get to without actually dying and push workouts in plastic suits to make it. It turns out that not putting kids through onerous weight cuts and not overtraining actually leaves the athletes in the best shape possible to win at the end of the season. Go figure, right?

Anyway, the point is, if Beau can make 133 comfortably, that would be awesome for him and the team, but Cael is not going to push him to suffer to make it. That’s just not the way we roll.

141 to 133 would be a huge cut. Hard too see it happening. That said, I see Beau often not hitting “his” moves because of his lack of length for 141. He loves cradles and tries them multiple times in every match, but often doesn’t have the arm length to get them. On takedowns, he often isn’t reaching the other leg when trying to finish.

I completely expect PSU to do well, likely win NCAA beyond AB/Kerk/Starocci.

But I feel like it will have to look a lot like Iowa’s 2021 win. Just a lot of guys who AA/R12, maybe a single winner. Nothing wrong with that. Lots of one takedown wins. But outside Levi, don’t see dynamic abilities in the other young guys.

We are very spoiled.
This is way too premature. Cael has elite recruiting classes coming on board, too. How do we know that about Barr, Sealy, Mirasola brothers, Kasak, etc?

Reactions: NittanyChris
The discussion of Beau to 133 is interesting. He still looks small and gets horsed at 141 (which makes qualifying for 149 even more impressive), so I guess it seems like a natural assumption that he could do it with the spot opening up next year. It would also solve a big lineup problem as well with the lack of elite lightweights next year with the uncertainty around Robbie’s health/future.

On the other hand, a big part of Cael’s success has been turning traditional wrestling axioms on their head. In our competitive days, coaches would ask what is the lowest weight you can get to without actually dying and push workouts in plastic suits to make it. It turns out that not putting kids through onerous weight cuts and not overtraining actually leaves the athletes in the best shape possible to win at the end of the season. Go figure, right?

Anyway, the point is, if Beau can make 133 comfortably, that would be awesome for him and the team, but Cael is not going to push him to suffer to make it. That’s just not the way we roll.
Who says he will suffer? Have you asked him or Cael? Me neither. We are all allowed to speculate and to give our opinions that's why it's a message board...and no...we are not having a great tournament. Our 125 pounder got hammered twice...we got no bonus in the semis from anyone other than Brooks...our 2nd seeded 141 pounder did not wrestle to seed, our 149 pounder went chalk, our 165 pounder wrestled poorly as a 5 seed and lost to an 11 seed....so no, in fact it has not been a great tournament for us.

This is way too premature. Cael has elite recruiting classes coming on board, too. How do we know that about Barr, Sealy, Mirasola brothers, Kasak, etc?
Probably premature.

But I also think it’s unrealistic to always have what we’ve been spoiled with the last decade re: transcendent talent.

We’ve had 50 years worth of great wrestlers in a decade and a few years. My post wasn’t meant to be attacking the young guys, they’ll all be several time AAs, likely champions as well. But stylistically, going to have to grind a lot of close matches to get there. How often have we had to say that as fans?

Reactions: mcpat
141 to 133 would be a huge cut. Hard too see it happening. That said, I see Beau often not hitting “his” moves because of his lack of length for 141. He loves cradles and tries them multiple times in every match, but often doesn’t have the arm length to get them. On takedowns, he often isn’t reaching the other leg when trying to finish.

Definitely a huge cut. I don’t see it but I’m me and Cael is Cael and Beau is Beau.

What I do notice is that Beau could probably learn to “settle” more. For the simple but productive move. Get away from these standing cradle attempts or eschewing an escape in lieu of a reversal attempt.

Reactions: mcpat
Who says he will suffer? Have you asked him or Cael? Me neither. We are all allowed to speculate and to give our opinions that's why it's a message board...and no...we are not having a great tournament. Our 125 pounder got hammered twice...we got no bonus in the semis from anyone other than Brooks...our 2nd seeded 141 pounder did not wrestle to seed, our 149 pounder went chalk, our 165 pounder wrestled poorly as a 5 seed and lost to an 11 seed....so no, in fact it has not been a great tournament for us.
When you say we are not having a great tournament, who are you comparing us to? Iowa? Nebraska? Who exactly are you comparing us to to make your opinion that we are not doing well?

I get ya...you want PERFECTION at every weight. If you don't get it, you criticize those keeping the team from being perfect. Is there a team throughout history that you are comparing us to? Was there a team you had in mind when you were putting PSU wrestlers down during last year's Big10 tourney ...the one that finished with a National Championship and 5 individual champs? You always seem to have problems with the teams Cael puts together. I'm just curious what team throughout history gives you reason to feel Cael isn't doing his job well enough for you.

It’s easy to see why so many people have you on ignore. LOL.

When you say we are not having a great tournament, who are you comparing us to? Iowa? Nebraska? Who exactly are you comparing us to to make your opinion that we are not doing well?

I get ya...you want PERFECTION at every weight. If you don't get it, you criticize those keeping the team from being perfect. Is there a team throughout history that you are comparing us to? Was there a team you had in mind when you were putting PSU wrestlers down during last year's Big10 tourney ...the one that finished with a National Championship and 5 individual champs? You always seem to have problems with the teams Cael puts together. I'm just curious what team throughout history gives you reason to feel Cael isn't doing his job well enough for you.
The comparison is to our seedings as a team. And we aren't doing as well as our seeds.

I think they should both move down and no, that doesn't make you Oklahoma State.. both are clearly small for the weight.

I remember he said he could make 133 if needed. But that was a couple years ago I believe.

That's a pretty big cut from 141-133. Unless he isn't cutting hardly anything to make 141.

As you said, Cael isn't going to make him cut. And I think the only way he tries 133 is if he gets bumped from the lineup at 141.

Reactions: dicemen99
I remember he said he could make 133 if needed. But that was a couple years ago I believe.

That's a pretty big cut from 141-133. Unless he isn't cutting hardly anything to make 141.

As you said, Cael isn't going to make him cut. And I think the only way he tries 133 is if he gets bumped from the lineup at 141.
Or if Cael wants him to.

Definitely a huge cut. I don’t see it but I’m me and Cael is Cael and Beau is Beau.

What I do notice is that Beau could probably learn to “settle” more. For the simple but productive move. Get away from these standing cradle attempts or eschewing an escape in lieu of a reversal attempt.
Beau has an ebullient personality and lights up a room when he enters. He’s got a ton of personality and confidence. It’s great that the world has people like this, but, a natural byproduct of this personality type is overconfidence. Beau probably feels like he can hit the cradle all the time, despite his relatively stocky build. Cael is never going to overtly try to change a kids personality. Getting Beau to “settle more” is one of Cael’s most difficult coaching challenges. Most often losing is the greatest teacher!

Reactions: AndEEss
Beau has an ebullient personality and lights up a room when he enters. He’s got a ton of personality and confidence. It’s great that the world has people like this, but, a natural byproduct of this personality type is overconfidence. Beau probably feels like he can hit the cradle all the time, despite his relatively stocky build. Cael is never going to overtly try to change a kids personality. Getting Beau to “settle more” is one of Cael’s most difficult coaching challenges. Most often losing is the greatest teacher!

When I reread my post I realized how “settle more” sounds anathema to PSU wrestling. But I agree with you and I’m excited to see how he continues to develop.

The comparison is to our seedings as a team. And we aren't doing as well as our seeds.
Hopefully next year Cael can figure out a way to have all our guys seeded last so you're happy they perform above seed. Tell you what, you stick to putting down the wrestlers and I think I'll continue to be ecstatic about the kids Cael puts on the mat and the entire process (including wrestlers not performing to seed) that gives us fans yet another National Championship. :)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT