ADVERTISEMENT

B1G Tournament -- Session 2 Thread

So maybe our wrestlers shouldn’t do so well during the season. That way, they wouldn’t be seeded so high and be so disappointing to you in the BIG tourney.
See..that's where you are wrong. It's okay to be disappointed when they under porform and thrilled when they over perform.

I'm hoping I'm wrong about Alex, but I'm the same guy that got trashed for saying that PSU missed on not offering Sasso a scholarship. I haven't heard much about that situation the last 4 years.
Everyone get trashed on this board except the little inner circle of about 6 or 7 posters and that's fine by me....I could care less. I'm all about Penn State wrestling and know more about its history and its origins than any of them.

I'm hoping I'm wrong about Alex, but I'm the same guy that got trashed for saying that PSU missed on not offering Sasso a scholarship. I haven't heard much about that situation the last 4 years.
If Sasso were at PSU he’d be a favorite to win it all at 157 this year.

Levi would be in RS and murdering the open tournament circuit.

Reactions: Callthestall
Everyone get trashed on this board except the little inner circle of about 6 or 7 posters and that's fine by me....I could care less. I'm all about Penn State wrestling and know more about its history and its origins than any of them.
Did you ever "hang out" in the room?

Did you ever "hang out" in the room?
Actually yeah. I was related to a great PSU wrestler in the late 70s under Coach Bill Koll as a kid. I wrestled for a local high school and started in junior Olympics. I was close to the program up through Coach Lorenzo also. So eat that. 😆

Lol. Please start a Penn State Wrestling History thread and teach us what you know.

Actually yeah. I was related to a great PSU wrestler in the late 70s under Coach Bill Koll as a kid. I wrestled for a local high school and started in junior Olympics. I was close to the program up through Coach Lorenzo also. So eat that. 😆
There it is Ladies and Gentlemen. Miles, aka Guns, used to tell this (almost exactly the same) story years ago. Identity confirmed!

Last edited:
Does anyone know what the issue was that caused Alex's opponent to quit last night?

Well I got yelled at when the round was over. Jacob Warner’s mom came and said I was disrespectful to her son for celebrating Dean’s win while looking right at her. Of course she was just a random Iowa fan to me, no clue who she was.

Oh well!

There is a statistical bias against the top teams with a lot of high seeds when measuring performance against seed. For example, in the extreme, if every one of your guys is the 1 seed, then you literally can’t overperform your seeds, and if even one guy loses at all, you’re underperforming. There is only downside, even though you’re likely completely dominating the tournament. Every tournament is going to have upsets. With a team with 7 top 2 seeds and 9 top 5, we’re going to be the team getting upset, and it’s nearly impossible for us to be upsetting anyone. Given this bias, it’s really disingenuous to compare our results to our seeding. The team is doing fine. If we win half of the weights and qualify 9 guys, it takes a real Debbie Downer to call that disappointing.
Agree 100%. I would be interested to see how many matches we wrestled yesterday as an "underdog." I wouldn't imagine it was more than a few. Without those types of matches, you literally cannot outperform your seed.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

I hate that I want to know who the 6 or 7 are.
That tells you what kind of PSU historian that guy is. Every single poster on this board has gotten trashed here. Even Willie. Even Roar. (That doesn't mean they deserved it.)

Well, maybe not John Brooks and Kerk Sr. At least not by the PSU posters here.

Agree 100%. I would be interested to see how many matches we wrestled yesterday as an "underdog." I wouldn't imagine it was more than a few. Without those types of matches, you literally cannot outperform your seed.
Outside of both of Steen’s matches, I think the only one was Van Ness vs Murin, which was 5 vs 4.

That tells you what kind of PSU historian that guy is. Every single poster on this board has gotten trashed here. Even Willie. Even Roar. (That doesn't mean they deserved it.)

Well, maybe not John Brooks and Kerk Sr. At least not by the PSU posters here.
But Willie puts bacon in carbonara.
and I heard likes pineapple on pizza..

The argument of someone who is wrong. The seeds show I'm correct.
No, but I can see your logic skills allow you to believe you are right about a lot of subjects that you are completely full of shit on. So please, shut up. Your idiocy could be contagious.

Last edited:
It’s a broken record re: Sasso. He has said he didn’t like Penn State so I hope he enjoys his Black Shirt and Ryan’s homilies

It’s a broken record re: Sasso. He has said he didn’t like Penn State so I hope he enjoys his Black Shirt and Ryan’s homilies
I personally never heard he said he didn't like Penn State. He really liked Ohio State when he went to camp out there when in high school. I don't blame any kid wanting to go to his choice of schools. I just thought PSU should of made a play for him for his talent. I think his one slip up in high school scared PSU away. Maybe he made the right choice. 5 time AA and academic AA. It's is old news now, I just was defending myself about my concern about Alex offense and someone was sarcastic on me making such a comment about the future. I know I was right about Sasso 5 years ago. Enough said .
Let's go win another NCAA Championship.

Reactions: Chickenman Testa
Who says he will suffer? Have you asked him or Cael? Me neither. We are all allowed to speculate and to give our opinions that's why it's a message board...and no...we are not having a great tournament. Our 125 pounder got hammered twice...we got no bonus in the semis from anyone other than Brooks...our 2nd seeded 141 pounder did not wrestle to seed, our 149 pounder went chalk, our 165 pounder wrestled poorly as a 5 seed and lost to an 11 seed....so no, in fact it has not been a great tournament for us.
And somehow, they are going to win the B1G title. Amazing with how remarkably poorly they have wrestled in this tournament.

Reactions: nitlion6
I personally never heard he said he didn't like Penn State. He really liked Ohio State when he went to camp out there when in high school. I don't blame any kid wanting to go to his choice of schools. I just thought PSU should of made a play for him for his talent. I think his one slip up in high school scared PSU away. Maybe he made the right choice. 5 time AA and academic AA. It's is old news now, I just was defending myself about my concern about Alex offense and someone was sarcastic on me making such a comment about the future. I know I was right about Sasso 5 years ago. Enough said .
That's the whole point of coaching. I'm sure Cael was observant enough to know what he was getting and what needed to change. The kids a freshman he will get better

Reactions: Callthestall
Agree with this. Can't remember which year it was but it was early in Sammy's career and I had a conversation with both ma and pa out at night at the hotel in Hershey. Mom absolutely loved tOSU. Dad was a big VT fan because of Robie, but also made a comment that they would have to consider PSU because they were the #1 team in the country in their back yard and the room was so good. At that point, PSU hadn't indicated their interest level, which is typical for PSU as Cael usually waits until later in their HS career. Then the next summer and early the next season Sammy ran into a couple of issues so it is highly likely that PSU still was being very cautious.

Obviously, Sammy put those issues in the rearview but tOSU and VT were clearly way ahead even if PSU came back late (don't know if they did or not). And PSU is not everyone's cup of tea anyway. As you stated, and I've stated before, the kid made the right choice in picking tOSU. It has worked out very well for him. No reason to lament about what could have been. What happened worked for Sasso and PSU has won a bunch of championships in the meantime.

Reactions: tikk10 and danoftw
Would eveyone stop saying we didn't wrestle well today. One wrestler under performed, one way over performed. The rest wrestled to seed. What am I missing other than unrealistic expectations?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT