ADVERTISEMENT

Bowl guru Palm has us back in the NY6

Jerry

May 29, 2001
Cotton versus Tulane.

He says only an LSU upset of Georgia might knock that off track.

His Playoff 4: Georgia, Michigan, TCU, USC...in that order. (Sorry, Psugo.)

Hard to argue with USC IF they win next weekend. They’ll be a conference champ with only one (1-point) road loss against a ranked opponent that they will have avenged in their conf championship game (if they win it).

Cotton versus Tulane.

He says only an LSU upset of Georgia might knock that off track.

His Playoff 4: Georgia, Michigan, TCU, USC...in that order. (Sorry, Psugo.)

If LSU knocks off UGa.... hysterical. LSU is mediocre and the SEC CCG is an awful game. LSU never should have been ranked 5 and they're fortunate to only have 3 losses at this point.

Reactions: cigarowl and psuno1
If we get the cotton it is a bit of a let down. There aren't even any undefeated or 1 loss highly ranked G5 teams. Maybe they'll move Tulane up to give the appearance of them belonging? But this team deserves to measure themselves against Bama or Clemson.

PSU versus Tulane is an awful draw for us. I’d rather not be in the NY6 and play Clemson Oregon or LSU.

We haven’t had a good bowl game in quite a while. Games like Memphis and Kentucky.

It’s a no win situation. If we win and we were just expected to. We lose and all hell breaks out about us being over rated

So we wont know who is playing in what bowl until the middle of next week?
Utah/USC play Friday--if Utah wins we'll be in the Rose against Utah
If USC win then we'll have to see what happens on Saturday
But definitely not the middle of next week--Sunday

Reactions: Obliviax
...and the saga of the foolish CFP and meaningless NY 6 rolls on.

Could a team possibly decline an NY6 bowl and accept another outside the NY6 if offered?

Ummmm....., we won't know which team goes to which Bowl until after the CCGs next week. The Final CFP Rankings aren't published until the Sunday afternoon after the CC Games.
The CCGs shouldn't be part of the playoff/bowl rankings. Teams should be rated based off of the 12-game regular season schedule. The CCGs should only be for bragging rights.

PSU versus Tulane is an awful draw for us. I’d rather not be in the NY6 and play Clemson Oregon or LSU.

We haven’t had a good bowl game in quite a while. Games like Memphis and Kentucky.

It’s a no win situation. If we win and we were just expected to. We lose and all hell breaks out about us being over rated
This is why the G5 should not be automatically in the NY6 bowls.

The CCGs shouldn't be part of the playoff/bowl rankings. Teams should be rated based off of the 12-game regular season schedule. The CCGs should only be for bragging rights.
Huh? What? So you think both TCU and USC should go to CFP 4-Team Invitational even if they both lost???

This year really highlights that point…do teams like UNC and Purdue really deserve to be in a championship game. A whole bunch of bad games next weekend.

UNC and Purdue...... what about a 3-loss LSU that is lucky they didn't lose to Auburn (and were bailed out by SEC Refs in that one).

Reactions: psuno1
This year really highlights that point…do teams like UNC and Purdue really deserve to be in a championship game. A whole bunch of bad games next weekend.
Agreed--Utah/USC and Kansas State/TCU are the only good games next week--and both are rematches

Cotton is fine with me...especially if the alternative is a 4-loss SEC team in the Citrus. As noted in another thread, there is no upside for us in that scenario.

Things get interesting if TCU & USC both losee

Then it's probably
1 Georgia vs. 4 Alabama
2 Michigan vs. 3 Ohio State

Rose: Utah vs Penn State
Orange: Clemson/UNC vs. Tennessee
Sugar: LSU (with 4 losses lol) vs K-State
Cotton: TCU vs. Tulane/G5

Somehow USC gets left out because of tie-ins

Maybe TCU stays at 4 in that scenario with
Rose the same
Orange: Clemson/UNC vs. Alabama
Sugar: Alabama vs. K-State
Cotton: USC vs. Tulane/G5

Huh? What? So you think both TCU and USC should go to CFP 4-Team Invitational even if they both lost???

Who gets in over them if they do lose?

OSU, I can see the argument there, but they will be a similar 1 loss team.

Then who? It's a bunch of 2 loss teams that aren't division winners. Do you want Bama put in over TCU? Over USC?

Reactions: doctornick
Cotton is fine with me...especially if the alternative is a 4-loss SEC team in the Citrus. As noted in another thread, there is no upside for us in that scenario.
Playing a G5 team is a no win situation--if you lose it's embarrassing--if you win it's meaningless

For those that care about bowls you need Ohio State and Michigan to get in the playoff so we play Utah

Reactions: SR108
Yes, assuming they are in the top 4 after the 12-game regular season. The CCGs are an EXTRA game that the rest of the teams don't get a chance to WIN or LOSE. It shouldn't wreck a perfect 12-0 season. If they playoff committee felt they should be there at the end of the regular season, they should stay there.

Then who? It's a bunch of 2 loss teams that aren't division winners. Do you want Bama put in over TCU? Over USC?
Yeah, Alabama definitely will be ahead of USC
TCU/Alabama is interesting though
There's no way Ohio State isn't 3 if USC and TCU lose. USC would have 2 losses.

Yes, assuming they are in the top 4 after the 12-game regular season. The CCGs are an EXTRA game that the rest of the teams don't get a chance to WIN or LOSE. It shouldn't wreck a perfect 12-0 season. If they playoff committee felt they should be there at the end of the regular season, they should stay there.
Blame the conferences for being money hungry though
A lot of people already think Ohio State and Alabama are better than TCU and USC so if they lose they'll be out.
Fair or not--this is why we need a legit playoff.

If we aren’t in the NY6, then we are playing an 8-4 SEC team like Ole Miss or Miss St in the Citrus. Is that better? I’d rather make the better bowl and play a nominally higher ranked team (particularly Tulane if they go 11-2) but is also easier to defeat.

Reactions: Jerry and psuno1

Yes he does. They beat ole miss on the road dont ya know.

Reactions: lazydave841
Meanwhile, Kevin Warren lobbies for Ohio State to make the playoff regardless. Link below.

Kevin says yesterday's game is a statement on "how strong Big-10 football is." Gag.

Sorry, Kevin. Not gonna happen unless USC or TCU loses their conference championship game.

But it does put us in a no-lose position: The Bucks get denied and the howls of outrage from the Big-10 front office will be sweet to hear; or the Bucks get in, and we go to the Rose Bowl.

If we aren’t in the NY6, then we are playing an 8-4 SEC team like Ole Miss or Miss St in the Citrus. Is that better? I’d rather make the better bowl and play a nominally higher ranked team (particularly Tulane if they go 11-2) but is also easier to defeat.
Yes, it would be better to play the SEC team--if we lose it's nothing--if we win "we beat an SEC team"
If we play Tulane and lose it's BAD. If we win "okay you beat a G5" team

It also highlights that the Conferences have wildly different CCG structures and it bastardizes the meaning of a "Conference Championship". They should probably stick with a Division-based model in an expanded playoff where an upset in CCG merely effects their seeding which is the way it should be.

Reactions: bmac710

If USC loses, they will have two losses and both to the same team in their conference, so they would obviously not be the best team in their conference and wouldn’t deserve a playoff bid.

There’s no no ny6 scenario that lets us matchup with Clemson or Oregon. In theory we could matchup with lsu in the citrus but someone would need to jump us to take the cotton slot and that is very unlikely since the teams most likely to do it would be kstate and Utah and wins by either likely send us to the rose.

Regardless playing LSU this year is a lose-lose. They’re going to have 4 losses. Beating them isn’t worth much and losing to them continues the sec superiority narrative. Pass.

Reactions: royboy and Jerry
If USC loses, they will have two losses and both to the same team in their conference, so they would obviously not be the best team in their conference and wouldn’t deserve a playoff bid.
But you don't need to be the "best team" in your conference to get in as we'll see if Ohio State gets in this year
I do think Georgia Michigan Ohio State Alabama would be funny and get us an expanded playoff next year

Reactions: TN Lion
There’s no no ny6 scenario that lets us matchup with Clemson or Oregon. In theory we could matchup with lsu in the citrus but someone would need to jump us to take the cotton slot and that is very unlikely since the teams most likely to do it would be kstate and Utah and wins by either likely send us to the rose.

Regardless playing LSU this year is a lose-lose. They’re going to have 4 losses. Beating them isn’t worth much and losing to them continues the sec superiority narrative. Pass.
Beating Tulane does what exactly?

Things get interesting if TCU & USC both losee

Then it's probably
1 Georgia vs. 4 Alabama
2 Michigan vs. 3 Ohio State

Rose: Utah vs Penn State
Orange: Clemson/UNC vs. Tennessee
Sugar: LSU (with 4 losses lol) vs K-State
Cotton: TCU vs. Tulane/G5

Somehow USC gets left out because of tie-ins

Maybe TCU stays at 4 in that scenario with
Rose the same
Orange: Clemson/UNC vs. Alabama
Sugar: Alabama vs. K-State
Cotton: USC vs. Tulane/G5
USC is undoubtedly in the NY6 over LSU in the first scenario. You think they’d rank 11-2 USC below 9-4 LSU when both just lost a CCG? USC would be in the Cotton.

That being said, I think TCU stays above Bama with a loss and goes to the CFP if both TCU and USC loses.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT