ADVERTISEMENT

PSU - Ohio State Dual Thread

UFB!!
Match couldn't have gone much better!
133 - good scrambling by RBY. Would like to see more offense on his feet as he can make things happen when he starts moving! Encouraged by how he got off the bottom.
141 - Great job by Nick. The call shouldn't have been reversed as I see Joey's hand on his shoulder and not a complete wizzer. Wonder if he was gassing based on everything but a long bus ride.
149 - still think Berge sets up better. Verk does an outstanding job. I think one of the stall calls was bad, he shrugs and Jordan shoots him off the mat. The running off the mat stinks cause it is rarely called and he didn't push him off... Oh well.
157 - need to re-watch. Wondering if Hayes provoked the physical Nolf? What a joy to watch!!
165 - heart sank when I heard he was ill yesterday and may not go today... Cenzo is great!
174 - Wanted Hall to do more and he did. Would like to see him get some turns on top. Suspect Zahid will be seated 3rd.
185 - Mason is the perfect guy to send out there. Wanted to see him mix it upper body but the size diff was pretty good and why risk giving up 6. Not interested in how Shaq was going to do if his knee was still in a brace.
197 - Thought the match was going to be close, like the first 30 seconds. Bo is on a tear!
Hwt - Cassar is heading into the back stretch in great shape
125 - was worried about Malik's slickness and thought he would get at least one duck which he did

Summ - anyone surprised TanTom was on camera before the meet? Also looks very stressed out in the corner. Reminds me how he was yelling at Moore last year when Cassar was beating him. His kids like him, and they are all good kids so there must be something there. Cael was a little pumped tonight, anxious to rewatch the match and pick up some coaches and crowd shots.

UFB!!
133 - good scrambling by RBY. Would like to see more offense on his feet as he can make things happen when he starts moving! Encouraged by how he got off the bottom.
141 - Great job by Nick. The call shouldn't have been reversed as I see Joey's hand on his shoulder and not a complete wizzer. Wonder if he was gassing based on everything but a long bus ride.
149 - still think Berge sets up better. Verk does an outstanding job. I think one of the stall calls was bad, he shrugs and Jordan shoots him off the mat. The running off the mat stinks cause it is rarely called and he didn't push him off... Oh well.
157 - need to re-watch. Wondering if Hayes provoked the physical Nolf? What a joy to watch!!
165 - heart sank when I heard he was ill yesterday and may not go today... Cenzo is great!
174 - Wanted Hall to do more and he did. Would like to see him get some turns on top. Suspect Zahid will be seated 3rd.
185 - Mason is the perfect guy to send out there. Wanted to see him mix it upper body but the size diff was pretty good and why risk giving up 6. Not interested in how Shaq was going to do if his knee was still in a brace.
197 - Thought the match was going to be close, like the first 30 seconds. Bo is on a tear!
125 - was worried about Malik's slickness and thought he would get at least one duck which he did

Summ - anyone surprised TanTom was on camera before the meet? Also looks very stressed out in the corner. Reminds me how he was yelling at Moore last year when Cassar was beating him. His kids like him, and they are all good kids so there must be something there. Cael was a little pumped tonight, anxious to rewatch the match and pick up some coaches and crowd shots.
Agree on the reversal of Lee’s TD. You saw the same thing I did. I said at the time that McKenna didn’t have the whizzer in until after he was already taken down.

UFB!!

The stall call/point against Verkleeren (end of match) obviously should have been a no-call. It could have, and maybe should have been called against Jordan for running off the mat to gain a new whistle start.
Of course tonight wasn't the first time this year Penn State has had an official whose skill set was over matched by the match atmosphere.

Agree on the reversal of Lee’s TD. You saw the same thing I did. I said at the time that McKenna didn’t have the whizzer in until after he was already taken down.

I saw the same thing. It was pretty obvious his hand was clearly visible and not even close to being in a whizzer. Apparently "Indisputable Evidence" means that "If you ever want to work in Columbus again.....you will see what I say you see". Sad......not surprising....but Sad

51359056_2133328476733627_2206701630580064256_n.jpg

Got some new ink today. Combined some of my favorite things.Mrs. HG, my pup Barkley and PSU wrestling.... :)

Last edited:
51359056_2133328476733627_2206701630580064256_n.jpg

Got some new ink today. Combined some of my favorite things.Mrs. HG, my pup Barkley and PSU wrestling.... :)

Dang good thing you edited this post with clarification...…...Celebrating the PSU razor thin win...I am on my ? beer and I was thinking your favorite things were Dogs and Cats....sort of. :)

Wow. What stood out to me the most was the delta in our conditioning once again.

I see it every year at Nationals but we owned the third period in a hostile environment. McKenna may not stop running until next week, Nick broke him physically and mentally. The best back to back matches of Nick's career. Of course Bo didn't really need conditioning, but you have to be amazed. Moore is pretty impressive physically, and noodle arms was lightning quick on that cradle. Cassar was his usual raptor self, I wish he could learn to turn a few more guys but the rest of his total game is just so solid... that is except when he pins himself.

Verk was awesome but it's hard to beat a #3 and the ref at the same time. Schnupp admirable performance as well. Manville is just a fighter, giving 14 lbs to a #1 past national champion - are you serious?

Nolf my pre season favorite to for the Hodge was his usual self, but Bo is starting to pull away. I will still lobby for co-Hodge winners this year.

VJ should get sick more often. Mark Hall was so slick, he was allowing some moves just to display what he is capable of doing.

RBY...I am speechless. That performance sucked the air out of the whole arena before the dual had hardly begun.

As always, no matter the venue, no matter the opponent, no matter the injuries, trust in Cael. He is simply amazing.

Wow. What stood out to me the most was the delta in our conditioning once again.

I see it every year at Nationals but we owned the third period in a hostile environment.

As always, no matter the venue, no matter the opponent, no matter the injuries, trust in Cael. He is simply amazing.

A few years ago, I clearly remember half of this board up in arms, fretting, even complaining, that PSU always seemed to have the “smaller” kid at a given weight ...

Other teams had giant wrestlers with huge arms & cut bodies. And we looked tiny or even skinny. PSU have often been dwarfed by tOSU & OkieSt wrestlers

Well ...
I think we see Cael’s special sauce in action.

Our kids wrestle lighter. Don’t have to make huge weight cuts. It helps the gas tank. It helps set a break neck pace. It helps recovery week to week. It helps over the grueling long season.

Cael seems to favor “functional fitness” over bodybuilder muscles or shredded dudes.

Third period TDs.
PSU: 12
tOSU: 1

I think our skinny kids with the noodle arms are doing just fine. :rolleyes:

Not sure if we have many "Donnie Darko" fans, but TanTom's predual intro interview about 'Love and Fear' was a rip off of Jim Cunningham, the Patrick Swayze role of a bogus self-help character. How apropos.

https://giphy.com/gifs/donnie-darko-jake-gyllenhaal-4vuSijF31QfF6

https://goo.gl/images/GVaY7d

I think the boy being reference may have weighed in at 157lbs.

https://goo.gl/images/sr6V4f

I also think the PSU wrestlers collectively did the equivalent of inserting the lifeline exercise card during the 3rd period.

(Sorry that I couldn't get the images to embed, but trust me, I tried.)

Last edited:
Say what you will about Ryan, but, in his post match interview he was humble and extremely complimentary of PSU. As for his pre-match quotes about a 5-5 split and 18 points, well he is their coach and would not expect him to say anything other than that. He has spouted off on Twitter before about certain matches but for the most part he is pretty honest about how good of a team PSU is and the greatness of some of the PSU wrestlers.

Say what you will about Ryan, but, in his post match interview he was humble and extremely complimentary of PSU. As for his pre-match quotes about a 5-5 split and 18 points, well he is their coach and would not expect him to say anything other than that. He has spouted off on Twitter before about certain matches but for the most part he is pretty honest about how good of a team PSU is and the greatness of some of the PSU wrestlers.
Easy to be chastened when you’ve just got your head kicked in.

And he recruits and insists on classy kids. I too like a chuckle at his expense, but no shortage of admiration to counterbalance it.

I agree with everything you said and take a moment to realize how blessed we are as fans of PSU wrestling to watch these kids perform at this level and on top of that, they are just great humble young men that make you proud to be a fan of theirs! That includes the coaches, just a class act top to bottom.
Especially the latter part. How refreshing to watch a match and not have to be distracted by clownish antics

Why would a coach pre-match talk about a 5-5 split and needing 18 points. He just admitted that he expected 5 of his wrestlers to lose. That is some serious motivation expertise, sorry guys 5 of you are not good enough. That is just more pressure on everybody else when Pletcher lost. Everybody on both teams knows the deal, don't need the coach is point it out publicly.

Cael would say something like he expects all 10 guys to wrestle hard and compete.

Jake Ryan is somewhere acknowledging that's my dad, telling wrestlers they are not good enough.

I’ll say. Ryan referenced greatest of all time talking about Nolf, Joseph, Hall, and Nickal. PSU has set the bar so high and clearly their conditioning is lights out. No one out conditions Cael’s team. No one. January for wrestlers is worse than footballers winter workouts!

Reactions: diggerpup
I’ll say. Ryan referenced greatest of all time talking about Nolf, Joseph, Hall, and Nickal. PSU has set the bar so high and clearly their conditioning is lights out. No one out conditions Cael’s team. No one. January for wrestlers is worse than footballers winter workouts!

It's impressive to watch! Is it primarily through wrestling itself that these guys get so well conditioned? What is PSU doing that others are not?

Say what you will about Ohio State and Tom Ryan but I think they showed a lot of class. Every single wrestler that I saw, walked to the Penn State bench and shook the coaches' hands after each match. Ryan is sometimes a d*ck, but I think his kids show a lot of class.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT