ADVERTISEMENT

U17 Worlds

zzs006

Mar 27, 2017
Greco started yesterday, womens is next and men’s freestyle starts Friday I believe. US had a poor showing overall in greco but did get a world championship at 55kg from Jordyn Raney. Kid had a great tournament beating a bunch of tough kids. His semi match against Iran is must see. I’ll post it below. Heavyweight Sahakian took 5th and was the only other US wrestler to place in the top 5. PA kids Adam Waters and Sam Herring were on the team. Waters went 2-1 but didn’t get pulled into repechage while Herring went 0-1. I’ll keep posting updates as the tournament continues

Here is FLO’s men’s freestyle preview and predictions. Looks like a good US team with some great vets and a few new young guys. Team should be lead by returning silver medalist Christian Castillo, Marcus Blaze who beat Anthony Knox to make the team, Ben Davino who beat last years U17 silver medalist Jax Forrest to make the team, returning bronze medalist Zack Ryder, and Aeoden Sinclair. The US has done very well at U17’s recently and I expect it to continue this year.

Raney brothers are very solid. Great athletes and trained by Bo Nickals pops.
Other than they got DQ’d at world team trials for weighing in for each other, I hear good things about them. Winning greco worlds in not easy. These guys would look great in blue and white. Bring them both, one to wrestle and one to weigh in. Just joshing around.

This is Raneys QF win over the returning U17 champ from Uzbekistan

This is Raney’s semifinals match. Kid’s got a motor and some real determination.

And finally, his finals match versus India. TF’s the kid in pretty resounding fashion
i-like-this-kid-the-sea-beast.gif

Raney brothers are very solid. Great athletes and trained by Bo Nickals pops.
Other than they got DQ’d at world team trials for weighing in for each other, I hear good things about them. Winning greco worlds in not easy. These guys would look great in blue and white. Bring them both, one to wrestle and one to weigh in. Just joshing around.

This you?

Reactions: ZepGraffiti
Morgan Nicole Turner 43kg is a freaking phenom. She makes Mark Hall’s age level freestyle freakishness look well… less freakish. She is just that good and her technique is no where near what it will be when she finds out she’s gonna need it against tougher kids. She is the fastest wrestler I’ve ever seen (relative to age gender etc.) and her feel is breath taking. Brand new on the international scene she is just walking out and trashing kids. Go USA !

Reactions: zzs006
Morgan Nicole Turner 43kg is a freaking phenom. She makes Mark Hall’s age level freestyle freakishness look well… less freakish. She is just that good and her technique is no where near what it will be when she finds out she’s gonna need it against tougher kids. She is the fastest wrestler I’ve ever seen (relative to age gender etc.) and her feel is breath taking. Brand new on the international scene she is just walking out and trashing kids. Go USA !
She is definitely the next young phenom. Incredible athlete. So many young women getting into the sport it’s going to be fun watching how fast their wrestling develops. Turner is the first girl to place at the high school boys state tournament in Illinois which she did this past year, taking 3rd at 106 as a freshman. I recommend watching some of her matches if you get the chance

Wow, tenacious and lightening fast!

Last edited:
Morgan Turner wins gold!!!! Incredible match against Ezaka from Japan who also won silver last year at U17’s. Down 2-1 with :11 left and she gets a go behind for the winning td. Tons of action for a 3-2 match. Turner looked to have Ezaka dead to rights multiple times but she somehow scrambled out. Super impressive match and young lady.

Last edited:
Piper Fowler wins gold at 73kg beating Lotta Englich (great name!) from Germany 5-2!!! Was up 5-0 after turning Englich with a cradle but got caught on her back as Englich broke the cradle and was almost pinned. Super close but bridged out and held strong in par tarre for the last 10 seconds.

2 golds and 1 bronze for the US women today with Heather Crull winning bronze at 49kg. No one else made the finals but I believe that we still have 4 ladies with the ability to win bronze tomorrow.

Reactions: 7brwnpsu
Kenny, Blaze, Brock and Ryder in Semis! Stillwell 0-1 could still be pulled into repechange by Armenia. Bachmann who is representing PR but from PA District 1 (FCA) has had 2 huge come from behind victories to make the semis. Could hit Kenny in the finals. His younger brother Freddy is matched up against the USA wrestler Villanesor in rd 1 tomorrow

Last edited:
Ryder drops his semi 3-1 and his inexperience was on display here. Gave up 2 going for a wild head pinch while on the clock and then had a go behind in short time to win but rushed the finish looking for 4 and the Moldovan got away

Ryder drops his semi 3-1 and his inexperience was on display here. Gave up 2 going for a wild head pinch while on the clock and then had a go behind in short time to win but rushed the finish looking for 4 and the Moldovan got away
Inexperience? He is a returning bronze medalist.

Inexperience? He is a returning bronze medalist.
Looked like no more than an ill-advised attempt to
“go big or go home”

This mindset seemed to work out fine for BoNi

I’d rather see this than Jimmy Gulibon never trying a damn thing.

He should fit RIGHT in here, with the likes of RoHo, Sealey,Haines etc,these guys are FEARLESS and thats the kind of guy I wanna watch, win OR lose.

I said before but I'll say it again, I am extremely high on Ryder. I think he's going to be damn good. He's not going to be an offensive dynamite ever but I absolutely see him being in the Cenzo/Starocci mold (likely not that accomplished) where his defense makes him so tough to beat. The kid is also EXTREMELY young for his grade and Willie mentioned he just recently got more focused on wrestling (he was playing other sports around the year before) and now will be spending senior year at NLWC and M2.

I don't even take vhs comment as a shot for the record, SOMEONE good is going to not make the lineup so he's picking the kid who isn't as far long offensively. I disagree, I see a kid who had a few "doh" moments from guaranteeing himself Top 2 at worlds as @CSauertiegPSU said

Last edited:
Reactions: vhsalum
Odd man out?

I dont see Barr or either Mirasola at worlds, who is it you think will force Ryder out of line-up?
Levi Haines went 1-1 in his U17 world run, he then followed up by losing Super 32 a few months later in his senior year. He's definitely the odd man out with that kind of high school performance, can't imagine he ever does anything at PSU!

I said before but I'll say it again, I am extremely high on Ryder. I think he's going to be damn good. He's not going to be an offensive dynamite ever but I absolutely see him being in the Cenzo/Starocci mold (likely not that accomplished) where his defense makes him so tough to beat. The kid is also EXTREMELY young for his grade and Willie mentioned he just recently got more focused on wrestling (he was playing other sports around the year before) and now will be spending senior year at NLWC and M2.

I don't even take vhs comment as a shot for the record, SOMEONE good is going to not make the lineup so he's picking the kid who isn't as far long offensively. I disagree, I see a kid who had a few "doh" moments from guaranteeing himself Top 2 at worlds as @CSauertiegPSU said
It's also possible Barr and Facundo battle it out for 174. Definitely not a shot at Ryder.

And man - a year at NLWC/M2?? He's going to make so many gains. If he develops a consistent leg attack? Yeah, he's probably not getting beat out.

Reactions: Ja1339
The kid is not yet a high school senior.

He’ll be coached by McKnight and DT for a year before he starts at Penn State. He could GS + RS, if he elects to do so.

Reactions: vhsalum and Grass
Ryder only started wrestling FS at all during the summer of 2021 (Won Fargo as a neophyte)....

If all goes well, he'll be coming home tomorrow with a second UWW Age-group world medal!

As was said above, he is more Hidlay than Brooks in that he has a grinder type style....

But the kid is a winner; and he's gonna win A LOT in State College!

Blaze is so good and seems to be the kid no one talks about. We all talk about Knox, Jax, and Bassett but Blaze just keeps winning. He’s the kind of kid you want on your team. Anyone know if he is an Ohio State lean at the moment?

Reactions: vhsalum
Blaze is so good and seems to be the kid no one talks about. We all talk about Knox, Jax, and Bassett but Blaze just keeps winning. He’s the kind of kid you want on your team. Anyone know if he is an Ohio State lean at the moment?

No inside info, but I'd be more worried about Purdue since his older brother is already a Boilermaker commit!

Why does someone have to get left out? Ryder goes 74, Barr goes 84 (or vice versa), Mirasola and Mirasola to finish out.

Reactions: Zukovski
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT