ADVERTISEMENT

U17 Worlds

The ending of that Kenny match is crazy. Poor Iranian went from the joy of victory to the agony of defeat in a split second when the challenge came back. Good scrambles in the last 30 seconds which were tough to score

Reactions: wrestlingfan22
Why does someone have to get left out? Ryder goes 74, Barr goes 84 (or vice versa), Mirasola and Mirasola to finish out.

But you're forgetting the Levi, Mesenbrink, Facundo jam up. One of them will be taking a redshirt this year - so you're not exactly getting rid of the problem.

Between 157-285 you have 8 wrestlers for 6 weights (that are all top ten recruits)

Haines SO
Sealey high school senior
Mesenbrink FR
Facundo SO
Barr FR
Ryder high school senior
Mirasola high school senior

Last edited:
But you're forgetting the Levi, Mesenbrink, Facundo jam up. One of them will be taking a redshirt this year - so you're not exactly getting rid of the problem.

Between 157-285 you have 7 wrestlers for 6 weights (that are all top ten recruits)

Haines SO
Mesenbrink FR
Facundo SO
Barr FR
Ryder high school senior
How about Sealy

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
How about Sealy
oh my god... yep. As a hawk fan. I am in genuine anger.

Complaining John Oliver GIF

Blaze is so good and seems to be the kid no one talks about. We all talk about Knox, Jax, and Bassett but Blaze just keeps winning. He’s the kind of kid you want on your team. Anyone know if he is an Ohio State lean at the moment?
I really like this Blaze kid. How did he do at Super 32 and Ironman. Sometimes kids are just better in FS. He is dynamic I think he would be good at any style, even Beach or sumo.

I really like this Blaze kid. How did he do at Super 32 and Ironman. Sometimes kids are just better in FS. He is dynamic I think he would be good at any style, even Beach or sumo.
His FS wins are definitely better than Folk

7th at Super 32
3rd at Ironman

Reactions: hlstone

Between 157-285 you have 7 wrestlers for 6 weights (that are all top ten recruits)

Haines SO
Mesenbrink FR
Facundo SO
Barr FR
Ryder high school senior
What is the success rate (maybe as measured by AA finishes) of top 10 recruits? For a while I was thinking around 60%. Higher under Cael. Very unfortunately, people get hurt, or leave, or have personal issues (think Teasdale, Suriano, etc). I want them all to be 4x’ers somewhere, but I suspect it will all work itself out.

What is the success rate (maybe as measured by AA finishes) of top 10 recruits? For a while I was thinking around 60%. Higher under Cael. Very unfortunately, people get hurt, or leave, or have personal issues (think Teasdale, Suriano, etc). I want them all to be 4x’ers somewhere, but I suspect it will all work itself out.
At Penn State, from 157 to 197, near 99%. The other weights it’s probably 75%.

3rd at Ironman behind Lilledahl and Forrest.
That was a crazy weight. I just looked up super 32. He wrestled the last two years. Lost to Kilkreary 1-0 twice.
He is a killer but doesn’t seem to score a ton. He wins in those four minute matches. Hard to tell if 6-7 minute matches will help him or hurt him

That was a crazy weight. I just looked up super 32. He wrestled the last two years. Lost to Kilkreary 1-0 twice.
He is a killer but doesn’t seem to score a ton. He wins in those four minute matches. Hard to tell if 6-7 minute matches will help him or hurt him
That Ironman weight was so good. Lilledahl won with Jax 2nd, Blaze 3rd, DeLuca 4th, Jordyn Raney 5th, and Kael Lauridsen 6th. Lot of top kids right there.

I must say I laughed a bit here reading a poster declaring Ryder’s career over and odd man out for losing a match today at worlds prior to being a high school
Senior , u guys serious? This gotta be some trolling
What made it funny for me was the reasoning being that he struggles offensively.. yet we've all had concerns that the two guys (Facundo and Barr) that will supposedly keep him on the bench...struggle offensively.

Reactions: jschrantz
The book has not yet been fully written on Facundo. But Manville brings the % less than 99. But still greater than 83%.
Those are definitely the 2 that come to mind. Facundo obviously has 3 more chances to AA.

Manville is a hard one to answer. He didn’t live up to the NCAA projections, but it wasn’t like he was a hole in the lineup either. He lost out on a starting spot to National Champions. Plus he made a senior level Greco team while at PSU.

Reactions: mcpat and hlstone
I think Pierson will end up being the best of the three brothers, unless his parents moved to Arizona.

Christian Castillo goes down first match to India 5-4. Was 4-2 late but tried to just hang on his lead and got taken down on the edge with:10 left to lose.

• Wow
Reactions: danoftw and hlstone
Ben Davino loses first round to Abbasov of AZE 5-0. Abbasov has a beard and looks like a grown man. He’s very good as well. I won’t be surprised if he makes the final and pulls Davino back in

Reactions: danoftw and hlstone
The kid that beat Davino looked 20. There are a lot of kids with beards in this U17 tournament. My son is a 17 year old wrestler and none of his friends or team mates or opponents have beards. Just saying...

Aeoden Sinclair loses 5-3 to Iran

Ignacio Villasenor wins by tech against India and is in the semis.

LaDarion Lockett has won twice and is in the quarterfinals

Reactions: danoftw
Lockett with a nice 8-0 win over KAZ to make the semis. He is so quick and super dynamic. Very fun to watch wrestle

Between 157-285 you have 8 wrestlers for 6 weights (that are all top ten recruits)

Haines SO
Mesenbrink FR
Facundo SO
Barr FR
Ryder high school senior
So, in other words, we're doomed. ;)

Haines SO
Mesenbrink FR
Facundo SO
Barr FR
Ryder high school senior
More likely is five guys competing for three weights.

Of those listed above, the projections for 184 thru 285 are pretty straightforward. 184 will be either Ryder or Barr, with the other guy in the mix at 174. Connor Mirasola is the only guy who projects at 197, and Cole Mirasola projects as a smaller (maybe 230-240 lb?) heavyweight.

Where is gets messy is 157 thru 174, with the remaining four guys (Sealey, Haines, Mesenbrink, Facundo) plus either Barr or Ryder. Lots of questions to be sorted out here in the next couple years. But, overall, a good problem to have.

More likely is five guys competing for three weights.

Of those listed above, the projections for 184 thru 285 are pretty straightforward. 184 will be either Ryder or Barr, with the other guy in the mix at 174. Connor Mirasola is the only guy who projects at 197, and Cole Mirasola projects as a smaller (maybe 230-240 lb?) heavyweight.

Where is gets messy is 157 thru 174, with the remaining four guys (Sealey, Haines, Mesenbrink, Facundo) plus either Barr or Ryder. Lots of questions to be sorted out here in the next couple years. But, overall, a good problem to have.

I am starting to look at this situation a little differently. Cael has a nack for picking out the best collegiate talent despite their consensus P4P highschool class ranking in any year.

Looking ahead we have

Howard - Liledahl - Gibson
Nagao - Davis
SVN - Kasak
Haynes - Sealy - Gibson
Facundo - Mesenbrink
Ryder - Barr

Toss in a PJ Duke, Gaj, Rath or Knox for good measure.

Odds are that ultimately we keep who proves to be the very best at each weight. Going 2+ deep at a weight class for a year where someone clearly separates himself, will be something new at this scale in the program, but nonetheless exciting for the team and fans.

NIL and the Portal, plus a RS year under Cael will ensure a win-win for everyone. As long as I don't have to see one of our kids in black and yellow, it's all good

Last edited:
The US finishes second behind Iran officially but would have been third behind Russia as well. We had the same number of medals as Iran but scored zero points at 51kg, 60kg and 110kg. I wouldn’t have believed that both Christian Castillo and Ben Davino came home without scoring a single team point. Not bad overall though. 3 golds and 3 bronze

The US finishes second behind Iran officially but would have been third behind Russia as well. We had the same number of medals as Iran but scored zero points at 51kg, 60kg and 110kg. I wouldn’t have believed that both Christian Castillo and Ben Davino came home without scoring a single team point. Not bad overall though. 3 golds and 3 bronze
If you told me Davino and Castillo wouldn’t score a point, I would have lost my farm on that bet.

My thoughts: Blaze is the real deal. Just when we thought that group of Forest, Lilledhal, Desmond, Knox, Raney’s, Cortez, Davino Perry, Deluca, Bassett,, this guy comes out of center field and wins a world title.

Bachman is a machine. Faith academy had arguably the best fargo of any school in the country and that wasn’t including their best two wrestlers who were repping PR. Their coach has to be licking his chops getting these two in. I don’t see anyone touching Joe next year in PIAA. He could be a four timer and his brother is pretty talented himself. My friend who lives out their way said their dad was telling him, Joey never lost to Paul Kenny and beat him 12 times. How do we get these two to come back and rep the USA

Think Cael has gone "beast" mode with recruiting and his plan. Gonna out do his 4 in a rows and go 5. Will go down as creator of the greatest sports dynasty in ANY sport. Am I talking foolishness? I don't drink much but decided to sit on the porch tonight, pound Buds and eat my steak so if you say I am.... I'm certainly not gonna put up much of a fuss.... lol

If you told me Davino and Castillo wouldn’t score a point, I would have lost my farm on that bet.

My thoughts: Blaze is the real deal. Just when we thought that group of Forest, Lilledhal, Desmond, Knox, Raney’s, Cortez, Davino Perry, Deluca, Bassett,, this guy comes out of center field and wins a world title.

Bachman is a machine. Faith academy had arguably the best fargo of any school in the country and that wasn’t including their best two wrestlers who were repping PR. Their coach has to be licking his chops getting these two in. I don’t see anyone touching Joe next year in PIAA. He could be a four timer and his brother is pretty talented himself. My friend who lives out their way said their dad was telling him, Joey never lost to Paul Kenny and beat him 12 times. How do we get these two to come back and rep the USA
Joe Bachmann is no doubt very good but he lost to Dom Deputy earlier this summer and Deputy took 6th at the US open with Kenny winning the weight. Deputy lost to Munnaretto and got teched by Sledzianowski. Both good guys but Kenny beat them both at the open. Styles make matches so maybe Bachmann matches up well with Kenny or maybe Kenny has made a jump. Either way, he’s a world champion.

Wait Deputy beat Bachman? Freestyle or Folkstyle? This is surprising. Willie had Bachman #1 in the land. How would he do against Seidel

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT