ADVERTISEMENT

U20 and U23 Trials Thread

Steen goes down to Figs 10-0 in the consi-semis.

Evans moves on with 12-2 tech in the consi of 32.

Reactions: danoftw
Allred at 92kg from Nebraska isn't much on defense but he sure puts up the points

13 -10
15-12
10-2 before he pins in the finals

Really tough loss for Barr. I thought that last sequence could’ve been scored 2-2. Good match though.

I asked earlier and didn’t see a response. Are there only 2 kids entered at 97kg? That’s what the bracket says in flo but that seems weird. No Christian Carroll listed either

Correct, only 2(plus Kueter). Not sure why Carroll didn't wrestle.

Reactions: zzs006
Correct, only 2(plus Kueter). Not sure why Carroll didn't wrestle.
Thank you. He made the Greco team so maybe he just wants to concentrate on that but I was really looking forward to seeing him vs Kueter. They are 1-1 against each other so I was hoping for a rubber match

Reactions: jrod65
Thank you. He made the Greco team so maybe he just wants to concentrate on that but I was really looking forward to seeing him vs Kueter. They are 1-1 against each other so I was hoping for a rubber match

Wanted to see that one too, but Pettigrew is a stud as well. He and Kueter just recently wrestled at Vegas, with Kueter winning by a point.

U20 1st round in best of 3 at 57kgs
Volk over Spratley 4-2

U20 1st round in best of 3 at 61kgs
Mendez over Bouzakis 14-6 after Nic shot out to 6-0 lead.

U20 1st round in best of 3 at 65kgs
Young over Cornella 4-3

U20 1st round in best of 3 at 70kgs
Messenbrink over Haines 2-2

U20 1st round in best of 3 at 74kgs
Facundo over Thomson 10-0 in 1st period

U20 1st round in best of 3 at 79kgs
Thompson over Augustine 3-1

gotta go.

Last edited:
Facundo looked incredible. Really looking forward to how he does at worlds. The guys who do well at junior worlds usually come in and have a great folkstyle season right afterwards. I’m excited for Facundo

Reactions: diggerpup
I'm loathe to play doctor usually, but this was pretty clearly shoulder and only shoulder--though from the awkward way Robbie's arm was draped after, it could look like he was holding his knee, but I think that's just because his shoulder was dislocated and he couldn't move his arm.
Judging by ice pack on SHOULDER, yes. The “knee“ suggestion was ridiculous.

If Carr does move up as rumored, Haines could score a LOT at 157 this year.

When I look at WS, sure, Andonian is always a threat to throw you on your head and O’Connor is a former champ at 149. But there are a lot of guys in the top 8 he can beat.

If Carr does move up as rumored, Haines could score a LOT at 157 this year.

When I look at WS, sure, Andonian is always a threat to throw you on your head and O’Connor is a former champ at 149. But there are a lot of guys in the top 8 he can beat.
now he's down 0-5 and he needs this one to continue.

Flo guys observe Haines looks much more sluggish on his feet than he did earlier in the tournament.

And Alex back on Team USA! This guy had nothing for him. His duck under is still something fun to watch.

Reactions: Maddog
If you told me Levi would tech Henson, Williams and Garvin back to back to back ... I'd say hell of a weekend. He was pretty spent and Mesenbrink is a great wrestler. Despite the fact I can't stand him, hard to deny Askren has his kids ready. Levi is a much better folk wrestler also than free IMO.

Similarly, Josh beat Singleton and Rowley was a great weekend, he still has some time in HS and Thompson is tough.

Facundo did his thing, I expected him to 10-0 the challenge tournament winner back to back. Since they released the junior fields, I didn't think anyone in the field could touch him. Last year 74KG was ridiculous, this year, it was all Alex. Will be fun watching him at Worlds.

Facundo on another level than these guys. That duck was so pretty. Seemed to get to legs at ease in both matches. I think he medals at worlds.

Reactions: hlstone
PSU doesn't need Haines to win this year, I'd love to see him but a RS season will turn him into a destroyer of worlds for 23-24

Reactions: AndEEss
PSU doesn't need Haines to win this year, I'd love to see him but a RS season will turn him into a destroyer of worlds for 23-24
Disagree completely. Sadly, Robbie Howard just can’t stay healthy. One more big injury, a transfer to another school and it’s up for grabs. Of course, Levi would benefit from a RS year. Who wouldn’t? However, 157 is a really weak weight and if Levi is ready and willing, I say let him wrestle!

Disagree completely. Sadly, Robbie Howard just can’t stay healthy. One more big injury, a transfer to another school and it’s up for grabs. Of course, Levi would benefit from a RS year. Who wouldn’t? However, 157 is a really weak weight and if Levi is ready and willing, I say let him wrestle!
I go back and forth on it. I think he would definitely AA next year and I’d love to see him compete. If he redshirts though I think he can be a 4 time champ. We probably don’t need his points next season but might need them in a future season. I’m sure Cael will make the right choice even if us in the peanut gallery don’t agree.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT