ADVERTISEMENT

Is Penn State Freshman Levi Haines a Title Contender at 157 Pounds?

157 seeding will be interesting with Humphreys unbeaten and Franek having only 1 loss (to Robb).

Could see Levi on O'Connor's side of the bracket even if he wins B10s.
If O’Connor is undefeated going into the national tournament does he get the 1 seed? Probably depends on if Robb wins the Big 10’s. If he does and both are undefeated I wonder who gets the 1. Does O’Connor being a national champion factor in especially since it was years ago and at a different weight? Could possibly have 3 undefeated guys going in with Humphreys probably not losing at his conference tournament

If O’Connor is undefeated going into the national tournament does he get the 1 seed? Probably depends on if Robb wins the Big 10’s. If he does and both are undefeated I wonder who gets the 1. Does O’Connor being a national champion factor in especially since it was years ago and at a different weight? Could possibly have 3 undefeated guys going in with Humphreys probably not losing at his conference tournament
We'll have a better idea with the next rankings. Robb was also 1 in RPI, though O'Connor and Humphreys did not have enough matches to qualify. (O'Connor does not, Humphreys might not until EIWAs.)

IMO O'Connor should get the 1 anyway. His bonus rate is 40% higher than Robb's, and against better competition.

Interestingly, Levi is 2 in RPI. Franek is 4.

Reactions: mcpat
I know the transitive property doesn’t work in wrestling but looking at results from other top competitors and it helps Levi’s case. Just last night Robb barely beat Gallagher and we all know what Levi did to him. Model beat Coleman and Levi majored Model. I know those results don’t mean much in regards to how Levi would do against Robb and Coleman but it is a data point in Levi’s favor. His win against Siebrecht seems to be getting better as the season goes on as well. Levi has handled everyone put in front of him after his slip up at the beginning of the season and has done so in a myriad of ways winning both very tight defensive battles and also by putting up a ton of points against top level wrestlers. I think his consistency especially as a very young true freshman might be the main thing I look at when putting him in the discussion as a favorite at 157. Most guys his age have up and down matches where even if they are winning you are never quite sure what you are going to get. This isn’t the case with Levi at all. He looks like an upperclassman with how he competes week in and week out. I of course wish he would have had the opportunity to wrestle more guys in the top 10 during the season but in my eyes he’s passed every test and continues to get better every time out. With his skill, competitiveness, composure, and the PSU staff coming up with game plans I think he can absolutely beat everyone at the weight. My only question is if he can string 4 win’s together in a row against the very best. I personally think he can. This second, gun to my head, I think he makes the finals but loses to O’Connor for the title
Based on what I saw from Robb last night, I don't think he beats Levi in the third. As far as meeting O'Connor in the finals, that will have a lot to do with how the bracket gets drawn.

If Haines beats Robb in the finals then Haines gers the 2 seed at nationals

O'Connor is damn good. SO is Andonian and so is Robb.

And so is Levi Haines. We shall see come March....

Reactions: mcpat
Our new crop of freshies>>>>> our new crop of posters😖

I drank 27 white claws last night and they still got under my skin
The dynasty of posters on this board is on par with the dynasty of wrestlers in this program. These posters on this board regularly beat Nico in the room.

Who has he wrestled? Hs kids basically. Not impressed.
B9316626042Z.1_20150316164618_000_G8RA855TP.1-0.jpg

IMHO, Levi is one of many high AA contenders but I wish he had wrestled more high level opponents. Lewan was a good test, but has lost now to Siebrecht, Saldate and Coleman this year. The coaches wouldn’t have pulled his redshirt if they didn’t think he was AA material. But calling him a potential favorite seems a bit much to me right now given his schedule.
You are right of course, but Levi will be pushed much harder, in his own wrestling room, than anybody he may face at NCAA’s. We’ll have to wait until March to see if he has progressed enough.

You are right of course, but Levi will be pushed much harder, in his own wrestling room, than anybody he may face at NCAA’s. We’ll have to wait until March to see if he has progressed enough.

Absolutely.

I’ve seen video clips of Haines rolling with SVN, Zain, Facundo, Carter, Nolf, Casey and Dake. I think I remember seeing him get his hands on ol’ Bekzod for that central Asian feel, too.

Last edited:
You guys think O'Conner can hang with Haines? Haines is getting better every week. Come tourney time he's gonna roll.
The Nationals is a fickle mistress.

In my book I have to list DT, Zain, Nolf and Bo all superior to Mark, Cenzo, Carter and Aaron as Freshmen, yet look what happened.

I can't list Levi as the favorite right now, which might actually be a good thing.

You guys think O'Conner can hang with Haines? Haines is getting better every week. Come tourney time he's gonna roll.
A lot of wrestlers can hang with Haines. Although both wins, Lewan and Cobe both hung with Haines to the point the match score could have been reversed. Many wrestlers can hang with Haines even someone as overrated at OConnor.

Also if you think OConnor is overrated. I have to wonder what you think of Beau Bartlett. A wrestler ranked top 5 with 0 significant wins. His best win is who? McNeil or Demilio.

A lot of wrestlers can hang with Haines. Although both wins, Lewan and Cobe both hung with Haines to the point the match score could have been reversed. Many wrestlers can hang with Haines even someone as overrated at OConnor.

Also if you think OConnor is overrated. I have to wonder what you think of Beau Bartlett. A wrestler ranked top 5 with 0 significant wins. His best win is who? McNeil or Demilio.

His best win is Kyle Parco, 2x AA.

Reactions: PSU_Pride_93
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT