ADVERTISEMENT

Match Thread Nebraska dual - Sun, Feb 18

Whether people think there should have been a stoppage or not is one thing but people who suggest Bartlett would feign an injury to get a whistle are idiots. He has been in multiple matches in his career where the opponent was in a scoring position that would have won them the match, when has he ever done anything like that?
as opposed to rathjen?

i’m not actually accusing beau of anything. just pointing out how stupid the people accusing rathjen of doing it a couple hours earlier are.

428633382_10159791926150812_7892404888874412387_n.jpg

I've watched Bartlett going back to HS and he's not the guy who fakes an injury to stop the clock or bail himself out of a bad position. And his reaction here seems pretty genuine.
as opposed to rathjen? i mean desanto cried out in the exact same way too.

Sorochinsky is one of the best in the business and anything but a PSU homer. I used to dislike him, but I grew to appreciate him. One of my buddies is an official and he thinks very highly of him.
Byers is clearly not a fan

Reactions: Ski
Loved the smile on Cael’s face when Carter mentions “if things escalate off the mat I’ll be right there”.
OMG…That cracked me up. The smirk on Cael’s face was priceless.

Gawd, I love Carter!!!

Heck, even an Amine agrees with most of us:

I understand the principle Amine is applying here, but think he's 100% wrong.

This knee angle occurs in almost every college wrestling match. If we are going to apply this standard for PD, we'd see 5+ PD stoppages every single match at least. It's not sustainable.

But there's a much bigger issue at hand here. By calling PD in these situations, we are incentivizing wrestlers to put themselves in danger. That is not how you protect athletes.

Hardy gained a positional advantage. Bartlett chose to try to stay square, putting his knee at that angle, instead of conceding the takedown. He was rewarded for putting himself in danger. Bad!

Zargo gained a positional advantage. Rathjen chose to put his knee in bad position instead of wrestling out of a position that would be worse, but safer on his knee. He was rewarded for this. Bad!

Haines gained a positional advantage. Instead of 1) looking into a cradle or 2) conceding the takedown, Franek maintained his position and allowed his knee to be put in bad position. He was rewarded for this. Bad!

Caliendo gained a positional advantage. Instead of wrestling from a more traditional defense, Mesenbrink jumped over top and put his knee in horrible position on purpose. He was rewarded for this. Bad!

The examples could go on and on, with every team in the country on the positive and negative end of the outcome. There's no bias here. PD should be reserved for positions that are truly dangerous, meaning positions where athletes are not able to relieve the pressure of the dangerous situations they are in. That's how you protect athletes. You keep them from purposely risking injury for short term reward!

Reactions: jmadden1998
Sorochinsky is one of the best in the business and anything but a PSU homer. I used to dislike him, but I grew to appreciate him. One of my buddies is an official and he thinks very highly of him.

His Stall Calls were absurdly inconsistent - three different times he called PSU wrestlers for stalling for being pushed out by Nebraska wrestlers who also intentionally took themselves out of bounds while intentionally taking themselves and the PSU wrestler OB (the Nebraska wrestlers did not shoot, nor did the PSU wrestlers do anything to "avoid being taken down" on the calls). Then he called "continuing action" multiple times (i.e., no stall call) when Nebraska wrestlers walked themselves backward OB while in a tie with the PSU wrestler who was pushing forward and taking ground???

He also failed to call Stalling on Nebraska's Smith who intentionally put his foot off the mat to get a restart and "avoid being taken down" while in the grasp after a deep shot - that is supposed to be an automatic Stall Call. Then he failed to call Stalling on Taylor who intentionally took himself OB walking backwards while dragging Messenbrink OB with him - who Taylor could not return to the mat and was struggling to move forward toward Center-Mat - with the sole intent of getting a restart to maintain Top Position. This type of action by Taylor is cited in Rulebook as an automatic stall call (top wrestler intentionally fleeing mat and taking opponent with them for sole purpose of getting restart and maintaining top position) - no call???

Also, the three pushout calls against PSU wrestlers very strange as Folk does not have a pushout rule like Free and none of the calls were associated with defensive reactions by PSU wrestlers to avoid a TD (unlike Smith non-call)??? Also, Folk rule says the wrestler intentionally taking both himself and other wrestler OB on a non-shot is the party guilty of stalling (it is diametric opposite of Free in this regard), so his calls were bizzare and inconsistent when taken in aggregate.

This knee angle occurs in almost every college wrestling match. If we are going to apply this standard for PD, we'd see 5+ PD stoppages every single match at least. It's not sustainable.

But there's a much bigger issue at hand here. By calling PD in these situations, we are incentivizing wrestlers to put themselves in danger. That is not how you protect athletes.

Hardy gained a positional advantage. Bartlett chose to try to stay square, putting his knee at that angle, instead of conceding the takedown. He was rewarded for putting himself in danger. Bad!

Zargo gained a positional advantage. Rathjen chose to put his knee in bad position instead of wrestling out of a position that would be worse, but safer on his knee. He was rewarded for this. Bad!

Haines gained a positional advantage. Instead of 1) looking into a cradle or 2) conceding the takedown, Franek maintained his position and allowed his knee to be put in bad position. He was rewarded for this. Bad!

Caliendo gained a positional advantage. Instead of wrestling from a more traditional defense, Mesenbrink jumped over top and put his knee in horrible position on purpose. He was rewarded for this. Bad!

The examples could go on and on, with every team in the country on the positive and negative end of the outcome. There's no bias here. PD should be reserved for positions that are truly dangerous, meaning positions where athletes are not able to relieve the pressure of the dangerous situations they are in. That's how you protect athletes. You keep them from purposely risking injury for short term reward!
I understand your point, and it's well made. I still think Refs should try their best to prevent injury, and should have a lot of leeway in using their judgement thus. I'm having a hard time picturing a change such as what you seem to be proposing. Will we allow coaches to throw a brick to see if the kid could bail on a bad position or not? Should we hire mat-side ortho docs to help interpret the positions in slow-mo?

Simply not true, you don't have situations where wrestler's head is directly on knee and he is torquing leg by pulling on ankle in direction leg does not bend, 5 times a match.

LOL when your wrestling you don't know what angle any of your body will be in I doubt many wrestlers would do that on purpose!

I got last second tickets and made it to the dual. I thought we gave a solid effort at every weight. The results weren't what I hoped for at 125, but, it wasn't for lack of effort.

Rec Hall had a nice atmosphere yesterday. Why do the least knowledgeable fans seem to be the loudest? The loudest two guys in our section clearly didn't know much about wrestling and couldn't pronounce some of our guys names. That isn't just a complaint from this dual, but, from many of my trips to Rec Hall. Listen, I don't expect all fans to be wrestling nuts like me and many others on this forum, but, if you aren't that knowledgeable, why be so loud and proud?

Anyway, some quick thoughts per weight class:

125 - The score isn't a reflection of the match. He got caught in a bad situation and gave up the major by not giving up and "going for the gusto"

133 - Solid effort by Shunk in a match where he was simply out-gunned

141 - I absolutely loved seeing Beau aggressive right off the whistle. Great performance against a really good wrestler

149 - I continue to be incredibly impressed with Kasak. He gets better and better every single match, and he is extremely strong, which is impressive considering some were worried about whether he could handle coming up to 149.

157 - Haines is turning it on at the right time. He is going to be extremely hard to score on. His reaction combined with his hips are tough to get past.

165 - He is going to give up some takedowns with his in your face style (like Nolf) and he definitely tweaked something in his ribs early, but, he just keeps going and going and going like the Energizer bunny. Even with a regular decision, he is must see TV.

174 - I think Carter is over whatever bug he had. He looked like his always dominant self.

184 - I actually loved the fight in Bernie. Pinto is a beast. The fact that Bernie was so close at the end was a good thing in my book. On most kids, he gets that takedown.

197 - Brooks is a joy to watch with his flawless technique. He is all class all the time too.

285 - I actually don't mind the strategy that Kerkvliet took with the riding. First, the only way we lose the dual is if he gets caught and pinned, which wasn't going to happen with him on top. Second, Hut is a big boy, and I wouldn't want to see him get an injury. It was intelligent and dominating.

Great stuff and I had a good time. I LOOK FORWARD to watching their next match, BIG's and the show in KC!
Glad the tix worked out

Simply not true, you don't have situations where wrestler's head is directly on knee and he is torquing leg by pulling on ankle in direction leg does not bend, 5 times a match.
May I introduce to you the move called "head-inside single leg?"

I understand your point, and it's well made. I still think Refs should try their best to prevent injury, and should have a lot of leeway in using their judgement thus. I'm having a hard time picturing a change such as what you seem to be proposing. Will we allow coaches to throw a brick to see if the kid could bail on a bad position or not? Should we hire mat-side ortho docs to help interpret the positions in slow-mo?
The change I'm calling for would be to not call PD the millisecond after Bartlett's knee is 30 degrees out of joint. That did nothing to prevent any sort of injury. By the time the whistle blew, the pressure was already alleviated by Hardy progressing to cover.

IMO, this is usually called correctly actually. It's only been the last few weeks, we've seen some really bad PD calls. I can't remember whistles this quick before. Officials are anticipating bad positions and blowing them dead before they actually materialize, which is bad!

May I introduce to you the move called "head-inside single leg?"
I feel like any kid who starts screaming on a head inside single leg would get a PD call.

Look I think everyone knows what you’re saying and probably thinks it shouldn’t be blown. But they’re always blowing that dead in 2024 when a wrestler starts screaming in pain (and have for years).

It’s like complaining that the NFL throws flags for unavoidable head hits. It’s just what’s going to happen now, accept and move on.

Hard to say watching on TV - the Ref appears to be running in from side as Beau's leg is caught in a tangle of arms & legs and appears to be getting torqued. If Ref is yelling "Potentially Dangerous" and then blows his whistle, this will cause Beau to surrender the position to relieve stress on his knee knowing Ref has stopped action. You say TD was imminent when Ref stopped action, but that is not necessarily so as reaction time to Ref shouting "Potentially Dangerous" is less than a half second, so you seeing Beau let go of his defense and drop to his knees was not necessarily before the Ref's call.
If Ref is yelling "Potentially Dangerous" and then blows his whistle, then he shouldn't be a ref.

That's a lot of syllables getting in the way of injury prevention.

how about when a kid shoots for the TD and the other grabs his leg or knee etc etc they can turn and twist the leg or knee anyway they want that could cause an injury!

Rec Hall had a nice atmosphere yesterday. Why do the least knowledgeable fans seem to be the loudest? The loudest two guys in our section clearly didn't know much about wrestling and couldn't pronounce some of our guys names. That isn't just a complaint from this dual, but, from many of my trips to Rec Hall. Listen, I don't expect all fans to be wrestling nuts like me and many others on this forum, but, if you aren't that knowledgeable, why be so loud and proud?
There was a really loud guy behind us in N4U who loved to call out for "stalling" incessantly. I think it was a refugee from Iowa.

One match he was calling for stalling, I kid you not, less than 5 seconds into the first period of one match. SMH.

what do we think about bartlett getting injury time to bail him out of the go ahead takedown with 30 seconds left?

i’m sure he’s being pilloried like rathjen, right @RB-Old ? is bartlett the new desanto?
Using the right leg as a lever against the knee is closer to Baylor Fernandes than to Levi.

Do you really want to continue the comparison?

what do we think about bartlett getting injury time to bail him out of the go ahead takedown with 30 seconds left?

i’m sure he’s being pilloried like rathjen, right @RB-Old ? is bartlett the new desanto?
O.t. How good is Henry Reilly?

Edit: Meant to ask Madden1999

Last edited:
I once had a rib pop, overlap and pop back in a match. Painful as you can imagine but just muscle / cartilage soreness. Was told it was somewhat common. Pain subsided in a few days; maybe a week. It was a long time ago but I don’t recall missing much time.
I tore cartilage in my ribs and could barely breathe let alone move a number of days. Took awhile to completely heal. Lots of pain and not much you can do to heal it quicker

OMG…That cracked me up. The smirk on Cael’s face was priceless.

Gawd, I love Carter!!!
If it would of been a Hawk Tnt would both spank their guy on the butt. That always seems a little cringe now a days. I know, I know...

Reactions: danoftw
With DeSanto it wasn't a knee and DeSanto had earned a lot of skepticism by that point.
It was a knee with Desanto and he missed the next two duals and can you point to Desanto faking an injury before then?

Using the right leg as a lever against the knee is closer to Baylor Fernandes than to Levi.

You can't be serious...shelfing / hooking / blocking the leg is one of the most fundamental single leg finishes in wrestling.

Why is it so hard to admit you got the benefit of a bad call? It doesn't mean Bartlett would have lost. I know for 100% certain that his board would have been fuming if the singlets were switched.

I'm fine with people saying they think the ref made a mistake in calling PD. That's normal venting, and misconception of a situation in real time is bound to happen. Maybe he was quick on the whistle--but he did his most important job and protected the athletes. What starts to annoy me is when people start thinking it's a conspiracy, or that the sport is failing because of widespread incompetence. The refs are pros--not above reproach, but I think wrestling fans love to talk about the falling sky when in fact these guys are typically doing a very difficult job very well.

Last edited:

2:10 (Davis)
20:00 (Bartlett)
53:20 (MM)
1:03:30 (Starocci)
1:12:00 (Truax)
1:25:00 (AB)

That's 6 PSU wrestlers who used their leg as a lever against the knee to shelf and/or prevent an opponent from facing a single leg in this dual. Why? Because that's what you're supposed to do!

Comparing Hardy to Fernandes is embarrassing.

Did anyone else think Bernie has a solid chance against Pinto on B1Gs day 2 2nd match or afterwards? Pinto was gassing yesterday and 2 or 3 consecutive days of weigh-ins will take a toll on a big guy like him.
Bernie was in on several good shots and could not finish. Needs to work on closing those positions out.

Imagine if someone in that room taught him the bow and arrow for crying out loud! Every match he finishes with 3+ mins of riding time minimum. Stop working the wrists and go for some Zain pain.

Nagao and Truax - sam ting
Every kid on the team should have the bow and arrow in their tool box. ... I just don't get it???

Have you considered that successfully executing the B&A is harder than it looks? There’s a reason that move is universally associated with Zain. He’s the only one in recent memory to truly master it, and even he couldn’t always hit it.

Plus, what Chickenman says below:

The bow and arrow looks to be getting phased out. They start a count the second you grab the foot so what’s the point in using it right now.

Reactions: wrestlingfan22

Same thing happens in upper body turns/half nelson, where the bottom wrestler won't go over and situation ends in PD.

Reactions: js8793
Have you considered that successfully executing the B&A is harder than it looks? There’s a reason that move is universally associated with Zain. He’s the only one in recent memory to truly master it, and even he couldn’t always hit it.

Plus, what Chickenman says below:
Yea the B&A is incredibly hard to hit from normal top bottom because it is not a quick transition from other moves, it includes grabbing onto a leg with the new 5 count rules and it can very easily be called PD

By calling PD in these situations, we are incentivizing wrestlers to put themselves in danger.

This is not a sensical take IMO. Wrestlers are looking to escape, stalemate, or score. Surely it is less than 1% of wrestlers who think, “I’m gonna risk injury and put myself in danger here to get a PD call.”

And despite your list of recent examples of “bad” PD calls, PD calls really don’t get called that often for this to be an issue. And when they do, I’m in favor of deferring to the ref on the mat who is seeing and hearing data points I don’t have, including history with specific wrestlers. I say err on the side of caution and prematurely call PD ever time rather than run the risk of torching a wrestler’s season, or worse, their career.

Did anyone else think Bernie has a solid chance against Pinto on B1Gs day 2 2nd match or afterwards? Pinto was gassing yesterday and 2 or 3 consecutive days of weigh-ins will take a toll on a big guy like him.
Last night (before the third period) Bernie was one and done on his shots. Pinto on the other hand was chain wrestling while also overpowering Bernie on those two takedowns. No hesitation! Just kept moving.

In the third, Bernie went from the single to double to body lock and even though he didn’t score on the series, it was some of his best wrestling and opened him up for the TD that got it to the opportunity to steal a win at the end.

I believe Beau is a clean wrestler. I believe he was in pain. I believe the leg was being pulled in an unnatural position. I’ve watched Beau wrestle 80-some college matches and I’ve never before seen him stop wrestling in a scramble. I believe the ref stopped it before something bad happened and I’m thankful he did. If you’re an Iowa fan and you want to be upset that ADS wasn’t given the same benefit of the doubt from some on this board, there are a couple hundred guys posting on another board that will prob agree with you. Please consider going there to discuss it further with them.

There was a really loud guy behind us in N4U who loved to call out for "stalling" incessantly. I think it was a refugee from Iowa.

One match he was calling for stalling, I kid you not, less than 5 seconds into the first period of one match. SMH.
That was probably me. I cant remember which match it was, but the Nebraska kid backed up 3 steps right off the whistle. That is stalling. 🤷‍♂️

Thoughts

1) best dual i've seen all year. that's what wrestling is about. both teams were active and offensive with perhaps the exception of Silas and Nash, who were just outgunned. on the down side, it makes me frustrated that we don't see more duals like this where two teams just throw down.

2) Davis just needs offense. the kid is a warrior. i love him. the good news is that (and i just said this on a pod w/ Basch) no one at 125 has much offense this year.

3) chill out on Bernie. Pinto is a horse and really different feel.

4) stop talking about manning. he's my friend.

5) anyone remember Charles' Chips?
Charles Chips…ah the good old days!! Yellowish/beige can (from a guy who is colorblind).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT