ADVERTISEMENT

Match Thread Nebraska dual - Sun, Feb 18

As a Husker fan, I can agree with almost all of that. At 141 though, Bartlett was saved by the official. He waited until the TD was eminant, to stop the match for potential danger, as Bartlett was feigning knee injury. He seemed fine running off the mat just moments later.
what's your point your team still would have lost not to mention your guy did nothing till the last2 minutes or less!

Thoughts

1) best dual i've seen all year. that's what wrestling is about. both teams were active and offensive with perhaps the exception of Silas and Nash, who were just outgunned. on the down side, it makes me frustrated that we don't see more duals like this where two teams just throw down.

2) Davis just needs offense. the kid is a warrior. i love him. the good news is that (and i just said this on a pod w/ Basch) no one at 125 has much offense this year.

3) chill out on Bernie. Pinto is a horse and really different feel.

4) stop talking about manning. he's my friend.

5) anyone remember Charles' Chips?
Good post, seems to me you know wrestling 😉
Pinto was underrated in highschool. He was funky and strong. District 11 fans and coaches knew about him but he didn't get much coverage out of area .
Manning is what he is on the mat. From what I hear off the mat he's a good guy. How many more years before Snyder takes over.?
Charles Chips at one time had door to door service in Mt Bethel. Put the tan color can on front porch and they would deliver a fresh canister once a week.
We also had Stocker Brothers/ Lehigh Valley Dairy milk box on porch for delivery.
Different times.😕

Reactions: Slaters
As a Husker fan, I can agree with almost all of that. At 141 though, Bartlett was saved by the official. He waited until the TD was eminant, to stop the match for potential danger, as Bartlett was feigning knee injury. He seemed fine running off the mat just moments later.
Happened right in front of me-20 feet away-and I was concerned the the official waited too long to call PD. He was clearly hurting. Even with the best trainor in the country, it wouldn't surprise me if he sits out next Sunday. Anxious to see if anyone asks Cael about both him and MM on Tuesday. MM's initial reaction and immediate body language was also scary. Ribs and ab injuries tend to take some time to get right. Hoping for the best.

Happened right in front of me-20 feet away-and I was concerned the the official waited too long to call PD. He was clearly hurting. Even with the best trainor in the country, it wouldn't surprise me if he sits out next Sunday. Anxious to see if anyone asks Cael about both him and MM on Tuesday. MM's initial reaction and immediate body language was also scary. Ribs and ab injuries tend to take some time to get right. Hoping for the best.
Yeah, it seems likely both Bartlett & MM will be held out this weekend to rest.

Davis was in a 1-1 match (after a strong ride) against a slick opponent and his YOLO mentality gave up 7 which obviously broke him. He lost a 1 TD match to Ayala who went defensive at Carver. Yes - he should have lost to Kilkeary but that would be the only bad loss, a kid he has history with.

He is what he is, a tough true freshman taking his lumps. His win over Peterson was legitimate (controversial because the video didn't work but anyone watching live knows it wasn't a TD for Peterson) One thing I'll say the, the kid isn't short on confidence. He has wins over multiple tough opponents including Kaylor, DeAugustino, Berginc, Lujan x2, etc.

All in all, with 125 this year, he gives us a chance. I prefer him being written off honestly than him being talked about as one of the favorites, that might bring back some of his swagger.
Still like what I see out of Davis. I watched a lot of Davis matches his senior year and thought he was going to be a really good wrestler for us. It’s interesting to see how the roles change. In the beginning, he was the unknown guy and the hunter. Then with his success, he became the hunted. Now he can go back to being the hunter. I still think he is every bit a dangerous guy to have to go up against.

Thoughts

1) best dual i've seen all year. that's what wrestling is about. both teams were active and offensive with perhaps the exception of Silas and Nash, who were just outgunned. on the down side, it makes me frustrated that we don't see more duals like this where two teams just throw down.

2) Davis just needs offense. the kid is a warrior. i love him. the good news is that (and i just said this on a pod w/ Basch) no one at 125 has much offense this year.

3) chill out on Bernie. Pinto is a horse and really different feel.

4) stop talking about manning. he's my friend.

5) anyone remember Charles' Chips?
My parents used to have them delivered. Loved the can.

428633382_10159791926150812_7892404888874412387_n.jpg

I've watched Bartlett going back to HS and he's not the guy who fakes an injury to stop the clock or bail himself out of a bad position. And his reaction here seems pretty genuine.

I once had a rib pop, overlap and pop back in a match. Painful as you can imagine but just muscle / cartilage soreness. Was told it was somewhat common. Pain subsided in a few days; maybe a week. It was a long time ago but I don’t recall missing much time.

My family would usually get their sourdough pretzels in the brown can. If my parents were having guests over they would also get a tin of chips.
The company I started with had an intern program. We would get kids from IUP for the summers. Thier professor would come out to check the progress and have 4 cans delivered to our office every time.

MM looked like ribs. He got torked pretty good when
MM got his arm caught and Taylor torked him pretty good. I thought ribs or maybe muscles from shoulder to your back.
On that move when Taylor almost put Mitch on back was when Manning showed the most emotion of the night. I'm not saying when they were yelling at ref for a call. I'm saying the disappointment knowing his wrestler had to hit something big to win. Coaches know when their wrestler will get out wrestled but hope for pin or 7 point move.

Extremely impressed with both freshman - they wrestle tough, don't give an inch and fight to the last whistle. Saying they don't look like they will make it to SEMIs, is not a criticism. Both look like they have a solid shot at AA'ing (we're a bit spoiled with guys like Cenzo, Hall and Starocci) - heady stuff from trFR.

Bernie is, what Bernie is imo - definitely an AA caliber wrestler (as he's already proven), but not in the "Championship Tier" at his weight. His Neutral defense is a problem against the top guys at his weight. Additionally, he seems to have plateaued relative to improvement from prior years - I think the hope was that he would continue to get better in PSU room, but I'm not seeing it as all his losses look about the same - not terribly out-classed, but definitely out-classed in Neutral against the best guys he's faced - they beat him to the punch often and he has trouble defending his legs while trying to remain offensive minded.

Nagao is a complete rubix cube to me - his Neutral Offense was never "all that" (he looks slightly better there this year, but he has to learn much better "feel" - he has given up perfect position time-&-again on deep shoots and actually surrendered a TD when he's had superior position/leverage and lost it.... and has struggled to finish TDs from great position all year.). However, he's looked significantly worse relative to his greatest strength from last year - top position. Can't figure out what's going on with him, but overall he looks worse, than better last year and he was a marginal AA last year. Just don't see him making it past Blood Round the way he's wrestling. Just my opinion. Not trying to be critical - he's a very good wrestler, definitely AA caliber, but he's in a pack of 8-10 guys fighting for 4 AA spots imho.

Hard to say watching on TV - the Ref appears to be running in from side as Beau's leg is caught in a tangle of arms & legs and appears to be getting torqued. If Ref is yelling "Potentially Dangerous" and then blows his whistle, this will cause Beau to surrender the position to relieve stress on his knee knowing Ref has stopped action. You say TD was imminent when Ref stopped action, but that is not necessarily so as reaction time to Ref shouting "Potentially Dangerous" is less than a half second, so you seeing Beau let go of his defense and drop to his knees was not necessarily before the Ref's call.

Beau and Hardy were locked in a good scramble. When action was stopped, Beau had stopped wrestling. To think Hardy was going to score there if not for the PD requires a crystal ball. It could have just as easily ended up three for Beau if not for the PD.

I've watched Bartlett going back to HS and he's not the guy who fakes an injury to stop the clock or bail himself out of a bad position. And his reaction here seems pretty genuine.
Yeah, no way that Beau faked that. Plus, he didn’t have to take injury time: if the goal was to just avoid the takedown, the whistle accomplished that. Can I explain what in that position is PD? No. But PD should remain ultimately a subjective call in perpetuity, IMO.

Manning might be a nice guy off the mat, he seemed to be friendly with Penn State fans before and after. But I think his platinum standard of whining during competition has bled over to most of husker nation on this issue. Even Burroughs himself was driving the wambulance on twitter last night.

Last edited:

Aside from the fact that we all know Bartlett's not the type to feign injury and apart from the fact that this photo shows the leg being pulled in an odd direction and Beau's real discomfort with it (not to suggest that Hardy's doing anything nasty, inappropriate or illegal), wouldn't the match have still ended in a tie even had Bartlett not immediately escaped? Honest question because I don't know what the actual riding time was, what the match time was or how much riding time Beau had to give (I don't think it was a lot, but how much time would he have needed?). Had this match gone to sudden victory, is there any wrestling fan who wouldn't have laid money on Bartlett pulling out the win? It's just a silly argument, it was a potentially dangerous position, Bartlett didn't get "saved" by anybody and there's no guarantee that Hardy wins even IF he's awarded that takedown.

Last edited:
Aside from the fact that we all know Bartlett's not the type to feign injury and apart from the fact that this photo shows the leg being pulled in an odd direction and Beau's real discomfort with it (not to suggest that Hardy's doing anything nasty, inappropriate or illegal), wouldn't the match have still ended a tie even had Bartlett not immediately escaped? Honest question because I don't know what the actual riding time was, what the match time was or how much riding time Beau had to give (I don't think it was a lot, but how much time would he have needed?). Had this match gone to sudden victory, is there any wrestling fan who wouldn't have laid money on Bartlett pulling out the win? It's just a silly argument, it was a potentially dangerous position, Bartlett didn't get "saved" by anybody and there's no guarantee that Hardy wins even IF he's awarded that takedown.
Beau hadn’t yet locked riding time; a TD would have put Hardy up by one. But with 28 secs left, one would assume an escape was likely to tie it up. (Beau had escaped in 7 secs to start the 2nd period.)

Yeah, no way that Beau faked that. Plus, he didn’t have to take injury time: if the goal was to just avoid the takedown, the whistle accomplished that. Can I explain what in that position is PD? No. But PD should remain a subjective call in perpetuity, IMO.

Manning might be a nice guy off the mat, he seemed to be friendly with Penn State fans before and after. But I think his platinum standard of whining during competition has bled over to most of husker nation on this issue. Even Burroughs himself was driving the wambulance on twitter last night.
He’s bending the knee against the joint using his head to lock the knee and the arm to rotate the lower leg. Classic PD to keep the MCL from popping at the very least

Yeah, no way that Beau faked that. Plus, he didn’t have to take injury time: if the goal was to just avoid the takedown, the whistle accomplished that. Can I explain what in that position is PD? No. But PD should remain a subjective call in perpetuity, IMO.

I don’t know if anyone has noticed before but Burroughs pretty much bitches constantly. All the more reason I want Dake to retire him

I once had a rib pop, overlap and pop back in a match. Painful as you can imagine but just muscle / cartilage soreness. Was told it was somewhat common. Pain subsided in a few days; maybe a week. It was a long time ago but I don’t recall missing much time.

Yea, "bruised" ribs is painful, but goes away with time.

I think that "stalling" was more for Manning's benefit because he had his fist in the air so often. And, it was getting to him to the point that he was jabbering with the crowd. James Green was following Manning's lead.
Right in front of us making faces at the crowd as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: danoftw

Looks very similar to the Franek stoppage with Levi. Leg raised at ankle and being pulled out, head/shoulder blocking knee/hip.

Personally dont think either should have been stopped, but I get it. Knee injuries have ended countless seasons in this sport.

what do we think about bartlett getting injury time to bail him out of the go ahead takedown with 30 seconds left?

i’m sure he’s being pilloried like rathjen, right @RB-Old ? is bartlett the new desanto?
It was weird, but it wasn't go ahead at that point. It would have been tied with riding time. Beau could have gotten away, right?

Reactions: goldenanimal
Whether people think there should have been a stoppage or not is one thing but people who suggest Bartlett would feign an injury to get a whistle are idiots. He has been in multiple matches in his career where the opponent was in a scoring position that would have won them the match, when has he ever done anything like that?

With knees especially, you often see situations where a position can feel like an imminent knee injury that then isn't; the wrestler yells because he instinctively know that if the move continues down that path it's on will result in something serious, and the defensive wrestler has no control over its course, i.e., you can't roll with it or cede, like might be the case with a shoulder, where the defensive wrestler can go to his back. But the fact that it ultimately wasn't a serious knee injury isn't evidence of the claim that Bartlett's reaction wasn't genuine.

Looks very similar to the Franek stoppage with Levi. Leg raised at ankle and being pulled out, head/shoulder blocking knee/hip.

Personally dont think either should have been stopped, but I get it. Knee injuries have ended countless seasons in this sport.

That's nonsense - Haines' head was in Franek's side, not on his knee. Also, Haines had Franek's leg at the top of his calf not at ankle (clearly appeared to be working on near-side cradle as other arm was high and head driving into midsection). Both of Hardy's arms and his head are working on Bartlett's left leg exclusively one arm at waist, one arm on ankle and head directly on knee. Positions not even remotely similar in terms of threat to knee.

I went to match yesterday. Purchased some SRO tickets. Enjoyed standing more than being a sardine trying to sit. After match ended I went down to floor level. I saw Davis talking to a gentleman that I would guess was his father. Looking at size of Davis and his young features it looked like what you would see at a high school match. If I had to guess his inability to score recently is probably related that opponents and coaches have figured out some of his tendencies. Davis and coaches will adjust.
He has already been scouted and made adjustments. After Kilkeary was successful going upper body, two others have tried since and Davis was able to counter the position in both cases. After Ayala goes to one knee, Davis adjusted by taking the same position (1 knee) rather than trying to force a take-down from a weaker position...

Reactions: STAND with PRIDE
For how big Nash Hutmacher is ... his dad seems to be two times bigger with a big beard and a tattoo arm sleeve.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT