ADVERTISEMENT

Match Thread Nebraska dual - Sun, Feb 18

Bernie is right there. He's just not 100%, 100% of the time.

Don't know about that - Bernie's Neutral Defense is marginal at best. He has trouble beating wrestlers with top-shelf defense because his Neutral Defense is not well suited to tight matches.

Rec is raucous today! Maybe the threat of the music is all they needed. Maybe the caliber of opponent helps. Maybe.
Yeah - I’m watching it on DVR and thought the same. When PSU isn’t winning by 20+ (without falls) the crowd is much more into it.

Even when winning by a ton, falls tend to make it loud.

Reactions: psualt
Driving home from NYC. Do you play Byers’ radio call of the match or wait till you get home and watch from your DVR not knowing?

I chose the latter. This time.

Reactions: hlstone
My 2 cents, davis is what we thought he is a solid potential aa but maybe a seat warmer for grease lightning next year, nagau is better than he has shown. Bartlett just keeps on beating the best in his Weight class, kasak will make a run at nationals, Levi is rounding into form, mitch the twitch is the 3rd best wrestler in his weight class, I like him vs kot but not vs Carr if that makes sense. Carter next topic, Bernie well he a point getter a nationals and keeps Josh in red shirt, Brooks next topic and ditto for Greg.

Is the bow and arrow that difficult of a move to perform? I watch Levi and Mitchell both ride real strong on top but neither one seems to try this move. What am I missing?

Reactions: dolecda
My 2 cents, davis is what we thought he is a solid potential aa but maybe a seat warmer for grease lightning next year, nagau is better than he has shown. Bartlett just keeps on beating the best in his Weight class, kasak will make a run at nationals, Levi is rounding into form, mitch the twitch is the 3rd best wrestler in his weight class, I like him vs kot but not vs Carr if that makes sense. Carter next topic, Bernie well he a point getter a nationals and keeps Josh in red shirt, Brooks next topic and ditto for Greg.

Don't disagree - 5 #1s and Messenbrink could all be finalists, really don't see any of them missing the SEMIs or finishing worse than 3rd. Davis, Nagao, Kasak and Truax could all AA, but also may not - not sure any of them will make the SEMIs and they'll need to wrestle through CONSI Bracket to AA; they look 50/50 as a group imo to AA, so I'll say 2 will AA, 2 won't.

Is the bow and arrow that difficult of a move to perform? I watch Levi and Mitchell both ride real strong on top but neither one seems to try this move. What am I missing?

It is a hard move - turking a leg above the knee and elevating such that the hips turn the shoulders is not easy. I'd say a cradle is the easiest pinning combo to accumulate pins with, but you need length. Truax is pretty good on top and has great length with those arms - surprised you don't see him getting some cradles.

Iowa deserves some credit, but Nebraska laid a big egg in that dual.

Edit - Nebby wrestled hard against PSU. Came out swinging, and very little in the way of stalling/blocking actions.

I think some teams approach their dual against PSU this year as their "superbowl" meet, put it all on the line, and overperform. Others do the opposite and just pray to limit bonus. The latter tend to leave embarrassed.

Reactions: hlstone
I think he has two on the season?
He is referring to the two controversial calls he got (opponents didn't get to be more specific) that many people including apparently the BigTen top referee think were wrongly not awarded.

J
Jeez….true freshman with a couple of losses and really good wins is a seat warmer.

Or…..he has podium potential when he grows a little bit. Learns from this year. He’s going to have hardware on the way to NCAA’s this year.

Frank Molinaro. 23-17 (or close to it) his first year! 7th place. Imagine this board if that were happening now.

Last edited:
Don't know about that - Bernie's Neutral Defense is marginal at best. He has trouble beating wrestlers with top-shelf defense because his Neutral Defense is not well suited to tight matches.
He has a dece
he has a decent sweep single and a pathetic left side ankle puck attempt. That’s it!!!! After seeing his limited arsenal anyone close to decent make adjustments rendering his offense impotent. In a room like psu not being able or willing to expand on this limited offense is very disappointing.

He has a dece

he has a decent sweep single and a pathetic left side ankle puck attempt. That’s it!!!! After seeing his limited arsenal anyone close to decent make adjustments rendering his offense impotent. In a room like psu not being able or willing to expand on this limited offense is very disappointing.
3 trips to NCAAs, three consolation finals appearances. 🤔

Don't disagree - 5 #1s and Messenbrink could all be finalists, really don't see any of them missing the SEMIs or finishing worse than 3rd. Davis, Nagao, Kasak and Truax could all AA, but also may not - not sure any of them will make the SEMIs and they'll need to wrestle through CONSI Bracket to AA; they look 50/50 as a group imo to AA, so I'll say 2 will AA, 2 won't.
I'm pretty impressed with kasak I truly believe he isn't done. He continues to get better and will be better prepared next time around. I'm interested in seeing where he places at big 10s

His foot was on the hard floor - he put it there intentionally.

Yea, the same Ref that called some for being pushed OB while in Neutral ties, but didn't call it other times, somehow didn't believe it was stalling to intentionally put your foot off the mat OB for the sole purpose of avoiding being taken down??? What Smith did was definitely Stalling as cited as an example in the Rulebook and should have been called as such.

As a photographer (with an art school background) I'm acutely aware of subliminal coding in images. I even wrote, way back when, a paper on Newport Ads doing much of the same thing that's happening in that Lion Cornhusker atrocity.

Newport-ejaculating-machine.jpg
giphy.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT