ADVERTISEMENT

Noteworthy Results & Goldfish Games: Feb 3-6

I always told the guys over on HR that I don’t expect them to ever like me because they don’t even like each other. Lol
@johnstownsteel another thread, that I chose not to comment in, had a great suggestion for you and future HR names, take the greatest hits of posters and make them into your new monikers, donstownsteel, goblintownaluminum, gripstowntin, ironbirdsolder, etc…

istherevodkatownwhitemetal….. too much?

Last edited:
If you can't beat 'em, club 'em.

Some Iowa fans - not just on the forum - are very worked about Gomez making the "keep chirping" hand gesture as he left the mat. I don't get it. The crowd was all over him for avoiding action in the final seconds (something every wrestler leading by 1 or 2 does and that every opposing fan base boos). The hand gesture was the perfect response and he walked straight off the mat when doing it. If that gets you that worked up, you've got to go to anger management therapy.

Some Iowa fans - not just on the forum - are very worked about Gomez making the "keep chirping" hand gesture as he left the mat. I don't get it. The crowd was all over him for avoiding action in the final seconds (something every wrestler leading by 1 or 2 does and that every opposing fan base boos). The hand gesture was the perfect response and he walked straight off the mat when doing it. If that gets you that worked up, you've got to go to anger management therapy.
Those types hate losing more than they love winning. Anger thus becomes the prevailing mindset.

@johnstownsteel another thread, that I chose not to comment in, had a great suggestion for you and future HR names, take the greatest hits of posters and make them into your new monikers, donstownsteel, goblintownaluminum, gripstowntin, ironbirdsolder, etc…

istherevodkatownwhitemetal….. too much?

Could combine HR handles:
is_there_vodka_in_ironbird
is_there_vodka_in_donhawkeye
is_there_vodka_in_MVPFAN
is_there_vodka_in_gobblin
is_there_vodka_in_grip
is_there_vodka_in_weh8statehawk
is_there_vodka_in_mitchll
is_there_vodka_in_jrjt

Etc.

2nd time in last few weeks Rutgers just absolutely choked. Favored against MSU and tOSU coming into the last 3 bouts and Poznanski and Bulsak come up small. Wow

Maybe some overreacted to Max almost losing to Hoffman when he got hurt clearly in the process

Reactions: mcpat
Okie St - Mizzou up shortly.
Started at 141.

Gfeller-Edmond up now. Edmonds smokes him with a sweet blast double to take 2-0 lead in first. Then Gfeller reverses, just barely misses backs. 2-2. Escape Edmond off restart, 3-2. End of first period.

Edmond takes bottom, escapes right away, 4-2. TD Gfeller, 4-4. Gfeller turns him, gets double chicken-wing, and sticks him just before period ends. Exciting match while it lasted.

Dual tied 6-6 after 3 matches. Wittlake - O’Toole up now. TD O’Toole, 2-0 w/ minute left in first. Escape Wittlake on a roll, 2-1. Period ends. Wittlake takes bottom. Escape Wittlake, 2-2. Period ends that way. O’Toole takes bottom to start the 3rd. Escapes, 3-2. 1:00 left. Wittlake in on leg but can’t convert. O’Toole wins 3-2.

And, I’m out — gotta get something done today.

Last edited:
The end of that Mizzou vs Oklahoma State was pure excitement, holy cow! Watch that Noah Surtin match if you can, that kid threw the kitchen, laundry and garage sink out there trying to get a fall for his team. All heart and guts...... He got a mixer late to get the pin, Fix could "only" get a tech and Mizzou won by one.

Mizzou was down 15-6 with after 6 matches. Then got a decision from Rocky Elam and falls from Zach Elam and Noah Surtin to go up 21-15. Fix needed a pin to go to criteria but had to settle for a tech fall. Mizzou wins 21-20

2nd time in last few weeks Rutgers just absolutely choked. Favored against MSU and tOSU coming into the last 3 bouts and Poznanski and Bulsak come up small. Wow
Is this is where Goodale steps up to the mic and declares "Come to Rutgers, when rubber meets road we come up small. It's what we do!!!"?

Matter, what say you?

Reactions: danoftw and pish69
Gable Steveson just brutalized Purdue's Woulfe today. Barely missed the first period fall and then TF. GS initially chose bottom to start the 2nd but realized an escape would secure the TF so went neutral start, clearly with bad intentions of additional mauling. Purdue bench unhappy with the last second position change.

Made me wonder if the rules don't let a wrestler change his mind on starting position once the selection is clearly made. In this case, GS actually got down on all fours to start then changed his mind and stood for the neutral start. Can any of our resident experts elucidate the rule on this?

Gable Steveson just brutalized Purdue's Woulfe today. Barely missed the first period fall and then TF. GS initially chose bottom to start the 2nd but realized an escape would secure the TF so went neutral start, clearly with bad intentions of additional mauling. Purdue bench unhappy with the last second position change.

Made me wonder if the rules don't let a wrestler change his mind on starting position once the selection is clearly made. In this case, GS actually got down on all fours to start then changed his mind and stood for the neutral start. Can any of our resident experts elucidate the rule on this?
Rule says that once the official acknowledges a choice, the choice cannot be changed. If Steveson didn't signal he was taking down, then the official didn't ack it. Just getting down on all fours isn't technically sufficient to indicate choice (as weird as that seems).

I liked the Frank Molinaro gesture toward Iowa fans.

Rule says that once the official acknowledges a choice, the choice cannot be changed. If Steveson didn't signal he was taking down, then the official didn't ack it. Just getting down on all fours isn't technically sufficient to indicate choice (as weird as that seems).
No means no lmfao

a60797b3748cafd2dac03cef4d7c6ab8--tatoo-art-art-quotes.jpg

These are the same people who are fine with Desanto's antics.

Pretty good statement. High road, in his own voice rather than the pr department, but spot on.

interesting post in the thread from a person whose profile suggests they’re an ia based reporter, saying they have a vid clip but won’t share it. Huh? Either report it, if you’re a reporter, or share it with the admin so they can investigate it if you’re so beholden to them that you don’t want to burn your sources.

Last edited:
nteresting post in the thread from a person whose profile suggests they’re an ia based reporter, saying they have a vid clip but won’t share it. Huh? Either report it, if you’re a reporter, or share it with the admin so they can investigate it if you’re so beholden to them that you don’t want to burn your sources.
I have some really big injury information about a top wrestler...but I can't tell anyone here. I just want you all to know that I know something you don't. :rolleyes:
giphy.gif

Reactions: crablegs1
"They" and "them" aren't an entire fanbase. The person that threw the soda should face consequences as should anyone that crossed the line with Gomez. We have crazies too.
You are correct that this one person is not representative of the entire fan base. However, the culture of that fan base is one that is happy to berate opposing coaches, athletes, and officials on a regular basis. It is a culture that is even embraced by the coaching staff.

When that is the accepted norm for a fan base, you’re more likely to have people that cross the line.

"They" and "them" aren't an entire fanbase. The person that threw the soda should face consequences as should anyone that crossed the line with Gomez. We have crazies too.
Booing injured players at the football game. Throwing a beer can at another football game. Throwing a bottle at Starocci. Racist remarks at the ISU wrestler. Taking the high road is nice, but give me concrete examples of our fans acting this way (in the last 5 years to be generous. All the above events happened in the last 5 months). I'll wait.

You are correct that this one person is not representative of the entire fan base. However, the culture of that fan base is one that is happy to berate opposing coaches, athletes, and officials on a regular basis. It is a culture that is even embraced by the coaching staff.

When that is the accepted norm for a fan base, you’re more likely to have people that cross the line.
Whether we're talking on the mat or coaching, the Brands' brand seems to be to get as close to the line of what one could charitably call "acceptable intensity" as possible. When that is leading the general culture at a program, it isn't exactly shocking when lines get crossed, whether it's Turk turning the end of the match into a shoving contest (an aspect that has been completely ignored in all this) or fans making inappropriate comments.

Last edited:
Booing injured players at the football game. Throwing a beer can at another football game. Throwing a bottle at Starocci. Racist remarks at the ISU wrestler. Taking the high road is nice, but give me concrete examples of our fans acting this way (in the last 5 years to be generous. All the above events happened in the last 5 months). I'll wait.
I have not personally seen a PSU fan use racist language or throw objects heavier than a marshmallow, but in fairness, probably the vast majority of Hawk fans have not as well.
I have witnessed our fans harassing opposing fans which I found to be embarrassing to the point where I have apologized on PSU's behalf. But it never reached the point of needing security to eject someone. We all have our bozos. I have not been to any event in Iowa City so I have no first hand knowledge. But from what I have seen on TV it seems like they embrace the be hard on opposing teams/fans mentality. Sometimes that enables the bozos to take it across the line sometimes. I think the University is handling it to the best of their ability.
BTW, the Hawkeye fan shown on twitter is also a victim in this shite show. He is a real person that was 100% innocent that was vilified on social media and even the local Iowa newspaper. I have exchanged a back and forth with him and he seems like a good guy that could be any one of us. He shouldn't be forgotten either.

a good guy that could be any one of us.

Although I believe I understand your sentiment (a good guy could be falsely implicated after another's misdeed), I have to respectfully disagree in this instance.

There are many of "us" who are able to maintain a calm state of mind and would not directly engage an opposing team's wrestler regardless of whether he was signaling to the crowd with a 'chirping' gesture.

Reactions: Nitt Fan
BTW, the Hawkeye fan shown on twitter is also a victim in this shite show. He is a real person that was 100% innocent that was vilified on social media and even the local Iowa newspaper. I have exchanged a back and forth with him and he seems like a good guy that could be any one of us. He shouldn't be forgotten either.
Gomez came out with a statement and said it wasn’t that guy. He is more of a symbol than anything.

Reactions: Aardvark86
Although I believe I understand your sentiment (a good guy could be falsely implicated after another's misdeed), I have to respectfully disagree in this instance.

There are many of "us" who are able to maintain a calm state of mind and would not directly engage an opposing teams wrestler regardless of whether he was signaling to the crowd with a 'chirping' gesture.
I get it, and I don't expect that you would catch a photo of me in that pose. (you could very likely catch me in other embarrassing situations) But there are probably other posters here that could get caught up in the moment and find themselves in a similar situation. I do know that he said nothing offensive. What he said was "Murin is gonna get you in Lincoln". I'm sure many here have said worse.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT