ADVERTISEMENT

Southern Scuffle Semis/Finals Thread

Maybe less concerned with zero takedowns in 6:30 than with the number of TD attempts. Preisch dictated pace throughout.

All credit to a really solid Preisch, who looks like an AA this year, but the guys Hall will soon be compared to--Taylor, Ruth, Nolf, Nickal--wouldn't be trailing a guy of Preisch's caliber with a minute remaining. Can't expect to dine out on cement mixers late against AAs all year long, as exciting as that is. I suspect that has more to do with the conditioning expectations of starters vs redshirts, which could change in a hurry.
Taylor as a true freshman lost to Cyler Sanderson twice. The second was a very close contest in the NLO and maybe by Jan 1st that year he would have beaten him in another very close match.
Ruth's freshman year I can not remember him wrestling anybody other than Quentin that was AA caliber and he lost.
Nolf is a freak of nature and did lose to Nebraska's Green.
Zain's freshman year he struggled mightily against Pitt's Edgar Bright.

So yeah 4 out of the 4 did struggle as true freshman competing against quality competition. Will not know for sure until the end of the year if this season's version of Preisch is Bright, Sanderson or Green. We already know he apparently is not bad.

Other than the fact we have heard of Mark Hall for 5 years or so and of course we are repeatedly told Taylor, Ruth, Nolf and Zain just showed up championship ready we probably have suffered collectively expecting the kid to just jump right in without any prerequisite development.

I haven't seen anything that makes me believe Hall is not in the same company as the 4 examples offered.

Sure. And they can lose without Hall, too. OSU just put 10 in the semis and 7 in the finals at the Scuffle. I'm not ready to give up on Rasheed, but I still worry about his cut.
Did you watch the OSU matches between the Cornell and now the scuffle impressed with Brock but hard to imagine that team beating is. Can't come up with that scenario

Taylor as a true freshman lost to Cyler Sanderson twice. The second was a very close contest in the NLO and maybe by Jan 1st that year he would have beaten him in another very close match.
Ruth's freshman year I can not remember him wrestling anybody other than Quentin that was AA caliber and he lost.

So yeah 4 out of the 4 did struggle as true freshman competing against quality competition. Will not know for sure until the end of the year if this season's version of Preisch is Bright, Sanderson or Green. We already know he apparently is not bad.

Other than the fact we have heard of Mark Hall for 5 years or so and of course we are repeatedly told Taylor, Ruth, Nolf and Zain just showed up championship ready we probably have suffered collectively expecting the kid to just jump right in without any prerequisite development.

I haven't seen anything that makes me believe Hall is not in the same company as the 4 examples offered.

Bolded - lost to Honeycutt

Also I wouldn't classify Zain as struggling against Bright. Might as well say he struggled against Krop or Dziewa too then.

Mark will be more than fine, but I'm glad he's on redshirt. Morelli or Rasheed will be ready to roll in March.

Agree.

And to further the point:

Zain nearly lost to BJ Clagon long AFTER he was a freshman.

And last I checked Nickal actually lost to Myles Martin in the wrong match to do it.

I could go on and on and on and on and on ......

There is absolutely ZERO concern about that match. Even if he lost....which he did not.

Are there things to work on? Sure. Ryan's block was effective but it won't be so much next time.

It's my experience that FS/GR phenoms have trouble with their mat game....especially if they aren't from PA where kids come out of womb with more forward pressure than others ;)

Reactions: diggerpup

Also I wouldn't classify Zain as struggling against Bright. Might as well say he struggled against Krop or Dziewa too then.

Mark will be more than fine, but I'm glad he's on redshirt. Morelli or Rasheed will be ready to roll in March.

I don't remember Ruth losing to Honeycutt his true frosh year. He did lose to Mike Letts of MD, who was a very good wrestler, but never made AA.

Reactions: JimNazium
Sure. And they can lose without Hall, too. OSU just put 10 in the semis and 7 in the finals at the Scuffle. I'm not ready to give up on Rasheed, but I still worry about his cut.
A Penn State-less and tOSU-less Scuffle. Quite different, if those two teams are there.

Did you watch the OSU matches between the Cornell and now the scuffle impressed with Brock but hard to imagine that team beating is. Can't come up with that scenario

Assuming a good tournament
125 low AA
133 finalist
141 finalist
149 4th or 5th
157 finalist to 5th
165 low AA
174 top 4
184 top 6
197 4th to 8th
Hwt possible 7th 8th

10 possible AA, 3 finalists with 2 of them champions - that can add up to a ton of points.

125 low AA
133 finalist
141 finalist
149 4th or 5th
157 finalist to 5th
165 low AA
174 top 4
184 top 6
197 4th to 8th
Hwt possible 7th 8th

10 possible AA, 3 finalists with 2 of them champions - that can add up to a ton of points.

Yep. The hope is that it doesn't all come together like some of those Dardanes Minnesota teams, but you never know. I also think Collica has finalist potential.

In all the excitement, you guys seemed to report different things.
Calmed now, could someone please give us a play-by-play for the entire match.

Where are our Walter Cronkites !!

In all the excitement, you guys seemed to report different things.
Calmed now, could someone please give us a play-by-play for the entire match.

Where are our Walter Cronkites !!
P1: No score.
P2: Hall chooses bottom. E1 Hall. T2 Preisch, SW Preisch.
P3: Preisch takes bottom. E1 Preisch. T2 Hall. Fall Hall.
Preisch had 6 seconds RT advantage, before the fall.

Reactions: androcles
125 low AA
133 finalist
141 finalist
149 4th or 5th
157 finalist to 5th
165 low AA
174 top 4
184 top 6
197 4th to 8th
Hwt possible 7th 8th

Yep those are good results if they could get them, I just don't see it though. I hope this doesn't bring on too much ridicule but I see us getting 10 AA before they do

Missed the joke?
No. I was trying to play along. Maybe hoping someone could pickup an enthusiasm for the more spectacular. Who knows, when he (our resident enthusiasm leader) is the room he could teach it.

Last edited:
Yep those are good results if they could get them, I just don't see it though. I hope this doesn't bring on too much ridicule but I see us getting 10 AA before they do

They have 7 guys in the SS finals, so I don't think it is unreasonable to say they have a good chance of having the same number of guys place at nationals. If we use that as a basis for comparison, that's still a very good team. I do think we have the horses to beat them, but everyone is going to have to bring their A game to do it.

Thanks for summary, and I don't disagree with anything you said. To be clear, my point wasn't that Hall isn't in that same company because he's not majoring guys Taylor Ruth et al would've majored, it's the same one you made, that none of those guys were bonusing every AA guy in their TRFR year either, and that, like them, Hall will transform into something far dominant given the extra year. I do think he can win a NC this year though. Just not certain of it.

Reactions: nitlion6

Pretty sure in the dual at BJC he (Zain wrestling Bright) was taken down in the first and riden for a bit. Also (going strictly on memory) I think he was trailing going in the third period.

Last edited:
Thanks for summary, and I don't disagree with anything you said. To be clear, my point wasn't that Hall isn't in that same company because he's not majoring guys Taylor Ruth et al would've majored, it's the same one you made, that none of those guys were bonusing every AA guy in their TRFR year either, and that, like them, Hall will transform into something far dominant given the extra year. I do think he can win a NC this year though. Just not certain of it.
Similar thoughts. I do believe he could win this year. At year's end if everybody wrestles their best match I think the only threat is Valencia. Next year he doesn't necessarily need his best match to beat anybody, and his best is Nolf or Zain like.

When comparing Hall to Nolf, Zain, Ruth, Taylor, etc we need to remember he's 20......as a true freshman and with the amount of international and training center experience he has its not apples to apples comparing his "true" frosh year to the others....
20 or not. This is his first time in an enviroment that has him training DAILY with other elite athletes and world class coaching. He is currently in the middle of his steepest learning curve.

I don't remember Ruth losing to Honeycutt his true frosh year. He did lose to Mike Letts of MD, who was a very good wrestler, but never made AA.
I forgot about Honeycutt. He was redshirting and beat both Quentin and Ed at the NLO.

I'm anxious to see who wins between Smith v Kutler at 57. I was disappointed when Jordan didn't go against Nolf. The Lehigh folks are pretty positive about him.

I forgot about Honeycutt. He was redshirting and beat both Quentin and Ed at the NLO.

And the following season, at NCAAs, quarterfinals, 1-seed Honeycutt was defeated by ....

..... 9-seed Quentin Wright.

And Grant Gambrall was up next for Q.

Reactions: nitlion6
Suriano better not pick bottom....Ethan is GREAT with legs...Fakes a crap ride and throws in legs...Best way for Nick is on his feet.....
Yeah, I have no idea how Nick could prepare for Lizak's leg riding.

zainosujpg-d3babd72ed9310c3.jpg

Kaid won by injury default Parker looked good till he hurt his knee

Had a hard time following due to the rose bowl, can't multi task as good as I thought I could

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT