ADVERTISEMENT

2023 Senior worlds September 16-24

A bit of a downer of a session after yesterday, but this tourney appears to be "tough." lol. Micic's win is probably the highlight for me, which is weird because I haven't really been the biggest Micic fan.

Reactions: hlstone
Pyles has numerous tweets mentioning Flo has asked them to fix this, but I guess they aren't gonna.
Flo asking anybody to fix production issues ...

laughing-mj.gif

I'd say not much fresher. He'll get a break here though.
Agree...though he was much more evenly conditioned throughout his last match...more judicious in his energy expenditure. Interestingly, the gassing in the earlier match may have helped him wrestle smarter in his quarters match. If he had finished the tech in that earlier match, he may have gone “balls to the wall” against a better opponent.

Reactions: Ski
Minor complaint. UWW's TV production crew is not good. They have all these camera guys getting closeups and closeups are fine but are far more appropriate when the action is stopped. Too often we're looking at someone's tattoo, or their coach yelling, when they're getting taken down.
Yes. Very frustrating to watch at times. Zoom out and stay on the action! It's an obvious mistake they needed to adjust. I'm guessing some egos got in the way when asked to change it.

Minor complaint. UWW's TV production crew is not good. They have all these camera guys getting closeups and closeups are fine but are far more appropriate when the action is stopped. Too often we're looking at someone's tattoo, or their coach yelling, when they're getting taken down.
The Iranians are complaining on their board as well. Here's one of their comments:

Don’t know if anyone else gets this but one thing I don’t like about this years worlds is the way it’s shot. I’ve missed loads of action because the camera man’s shooting super close shots of the wrestlers faces like it’s a soap opera. Happened in the Yaz Amine match and Taha Zare. Really annoying. During the match I wanna be able to see the both wrestlers in frame so we can see all the setups and footwork.

Reactions: danoftw and tikk10
Pro Tip: today they're doing the Semis on 2 mats concurrently. (No finals yesterday allowed them to do them sequentially).

My bad, for a sec, I thought Dake had Sidakov in the semis. I must've conflated him w/ Sadulaev/Snyder's bracket. I know nothing about the greek guy he has--time to check @zzs006 writeup, I guess.
I didn’t even include him in my write up. He is this years Euro runner-up and last years Euro champ but otherwise doesn’t have great results. Went 0-2 at the Ibrahim Moustafa this year. He turned it on at the right time though

Reactions: danoftw and hlstone
Micic looking good. I don’t think that was 4 though. Should be leading either way though

I didn’t even include him in my write up. He is this years Euro runner-up and last years Euro champ but otherwise doesn’t have great results. Went 0-2 at the Ibrahim Moustafa this year. He turned it on at the right time though
You gotta love the world, w/ guys popping up from all over. Like our boy, Stevan! I think my wife must be cutting onions . . .

Dake up now! Sidakov vs Bayramov on the other mat. Bayramov is the guy that Keegan decked at U20’s

Dake v Kougiomtsid (GRE) semis
  • Dake gets a shot clock point and a step out point to lead 2-0 at the break.
  • Kougiomtsid gets a leg, Dake gives it, looking chest wrap, nice scramble by both but Dake prevails, up 4-0.
  • Same position, this time Kougiomtsid looks like he might score but Dake with great D, Kougiomtsid has to settle for a step out. 4-1.
  • :45 remaining.
  • Same position, Dake doesn't have the strength to complete the chest wrap though. But fends off Kougiomtsid's last ditch attempts. Ends 4-1, Dake onto the final against Sidakov.

2023 Dake more closely resembles D1 Dake where he does enough to win and cuts it pretty close sometimes. When Dake first emerged in freestyle he was tossing guys around. Maybe the cut has become too much. Remember, he nearly beat J'Den 7? years ago at 86kg.

So Iran is out at 57kg and 92kg. Pulled into repechage at 79kg and 74kg.

US is out at 57kg and 79kg. In the final at 74kg and pulled into repechage at 92kg

I still hate how Dake shuts things down and just depends on his otherworldly defense. When he attacks he is even better. He almost always wins the close matches but it sure does make me nervous
Sidakov wins a lot of tight ones at the wire too. It'd be funny if the final wound up being blown wide open.

Reactions: diggerpup
I still hate how Dake shuts things down and just depends on his otherworldly defense. When he attacks he is even better. He almost always wins the close matches but it sure does make me nervous
I used to feel that way. But I've come to just accept Dake usually knows what he is doing. He has shut down so many top guys over the years with his sound defense/positioning. Elite

Reactions: Ski and zzs006
Dake seems winded -wonder if it is the weight cut.... He is going to need to reach deep in the finals

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT