ADVERTISEMENT

2023 Senior worlds September 16-24

Weird stuff in the Valencia match, they gave Iran a point for a lost challenge even though Perry never challenged anything.

Went back and looked, Perry tripped over the wire walking up at the break and triggered the challenge. Glad it didn't matter.
It's pretty stupid that they can't realize that and cancel the challenge. I can't believe it but a brick is probably a better system.

Reactions: nerfstate
hope Perry has Z’s conditioning right -he’s in the hole.

They were holding quarters at the same time yesterday, guessing that round of 92s spread across the mats all get wrestled together, not right after the match ahead finishes.

The thing about the Perry non-challenge challenge is that he didn't appear to correct immediately, probably because it occurred at the break. But still--if he doesn't say something right away, how are the officials supposed to know? If Zahid wins the challenge is Perry going to say something then? Of course not. It's unfortunate and maybe the brick makes more sense but can't blame the officials for that.

Reactions: Ski and hlstone
Dake after he scored his first 8 points

Laundry Day Monday GIF by BuzzFeed

1st period Dake will win a World Championship. Not sure about 2nd period Dake. He had great movement, counters, and a killer gut in the first period. Looks to have gassed in the 2nd. Hope he gets a slightly longer break before his next one than Zahid did.

Does Dake have to starve himself for a week to make weight or something? He went up 8-0 right away and then shut it down.

Dake fully gassed in the second up 9-0, held on though 9-4 against Kaipanov (KAZ).

Reactions: danoftw
Does Dake have to starve himself for a week to make weight or something? He went up 8-0 right away and then shut it down.
I don't know what his cut is like, but he seemed to expend a ton of energy finishing the TD and getting the 3 guts. The KAZ guy had good defense and got to Dake's ankle. Looked almost 50/50 at one point. Then after the TD, he just used strength to force the 3 exposures. The last one, in particular, seemed like he really had to work for it. After that, he seemed like a different wrestler.

Guys like DT, Zain, Steveson, and JB use exceptional technique and perfect timing to seemingly score at will with minimal effort. While I am not saying Dake doesn't have exceptional technique (he does), he relies heavily on his superior strength, and when guys can match it, he runs into trouble.

I hate to say it, but Zahid never looked like he believed he'd win that bout. He has the skills. But his superpower is lateral quickness, and he did not seek that advantage. Certainly looked tired after his war vs Iran. NLWC could use a 92.... (I mean, maybe Morgan is him, I'd be delighted). At least w/ that loss, Iran will score no more points at 92. Maybe Z gets a shot at bronze.

Only caught the tail end but Higuchi (JPN) beat Harutyunyan (ARM) 16-14, which must've been fun.

Reactions: danoftw
Hope the review goes stefan's way--looked like 2 to me. Home town hero baby!

Last edited:
Dake vs Takatani now
  • Takatani circling with a front headlock but it's stalemated
  • Dake has looked for legs twice now, not really committed to anything though
  • Takatani on the clockatani. 1-0 Dake
  • Takatani in on a leg and he scores just before the break. 2-1
  • Takatani in again, gets two, but Dake reverses and now Dake leverages an armbar for exposure. 4-4 Takatani.
  • Dake a little wobbly on his feet. Takatani's gas tank looked full against Anthony Valencia last round.
  • Under a minute, now under thirty.
  • Dake with a double but only gets a step-out. Up 5-4.
  • Takatani gets to a leg, Dake looks to expose, time runs out. Challenge by Takatani but hard to see where he could've scored. Challenge lost, Dake moves onto semis. 6-4.

The one we all wanted to see is gonna happen. Wish I felt Dake was doing his best wrestling. But Sidakov has totally looked human too.

Dake vs Takatani now
  • Takatani circling with a front headlock but it's stalemated
  • Dake has looked for legs twice now, not really committed to anything though
  • Takatani on the clockatani. 1-0 Dake
  • Takatani in on a leg and he scores just before the break. 2-1
  • Takatani in again, gets two, but Dake reverses and now Dake leverages an armbar for exposure. 4-4 Takatani.
  • Dake a little wobbly on his feet. Takatani's gas tank looked full against Anthony Valencia last round.
  • Under a minute, now under thirty.
  • Dake with a double but only gets a step-out. Up 5-4.
  • Takatani gets to a leg, Dake looks to expose, time runs out. Challenge by Takatani but hard to see where he could've scored. Challenge lost, Dake moves onto semis. 6-4.
Dake looked much fresher in this match. The effort he expended on those early guts last match almost cost him. He wrestled this match much more efficiently.

Minor complaint. UWW's TV production crew is not good. They have all these camera guys getting closeups and closeups are fine but are far more appropriate when the action is stopped. Too often we're looking at someone's tattoo, or their coach yelling, when they're getting taken down.

Dake looked much fresher in this match. The effort he expended on those early guts last match almost cost him. He wrestled this match much more efficiently.
I'd say not much fresher. He'll get a break here though.

Reactions: liex26
Minor complaint. UWW's TV production crew is not good. They have all these camera guys getting closeups and closeups are fine but are far more appropriate when the action is stopped. Too often we're looking at someone's tattoo, or their coach yelling, when they're getting taken down.
Pyles has numerous tweets mentioning Flo has asked them to fix this, but I guess they aren't gonna.

Reactions: tikk10
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT