ADVERTISEMENT

Football GAMEDAY THREAD: Penn State versus Illinois

We have 4 sacks so far this year. That’s not very good considering who we’ve played. Illinois converted a 3rd and forever. Shouldn’t happen.
PSU gave up 3rd and long a lot under Pry too. For some reason we insist on blitzing a lot which is fine if you can get to the QB. If not a big part of the field is left uncovered.

Now we're playing without Winston & Deluca which makes us even more exposed. I know the coaches like to have Reed attack the LOS but that seems reckless when we're missing those two players. JMO.

Reactions: RickinDayton
Our defense isn't the issue.

Do you see the score?

This is Illinois. We scored 7 points.

I respectfully disagree the D is not an issue. There’s very few 3 and outs, they allow other teams to extend drives/ run clock and flip the field way too often. They give up 3rd and long, have little discipline, and are a penalty machine.

I agree the O has issues tonight as well but they’ve had 4 possessions in the first half with 1 being a final 38 second possession before half. 1 TD, 1 missed FG, 1 punt, 1 clock run out at half. I don’t know why they abandoned the run at times.

It's frustrating to be tied 7-7 at the half, but I feel good about the outcome. The running game is working, and that's important. Drew looked a little ragged in the 2nd quarter...missed a few throws.

Meanwhile, the D only gave up 7 points after all...against a pretty good set of Illini skill players. If we hold them to 7 again in the 2nd half, the game's in the bag.

I see us controlling the game in the second half...possibly breaking it open...though as things stand, I wouldn't want to have given the 19 points.

Mark me down as negatory on the Rojas penalty. The offensive guy practically ran into Rojas who lifted his shoulder almost reflexively. No way is that a penalty, I don't care what the NBC "expert" says.

Nick is ready to pop one, run the football. Again. we couldn't get off the field on 3rd and long and it cost us field position, we were stuck deep in our end most of the half.

Reactions: psu00
This not a playoff type team let’s face it we are not very good at this point and I doubt we are going to improve all that much as the season goes on
I just hope they can win tonight. This effort will not see this team beating USC. OSU and they might lose a few more. Discipline is lacking on defense, tackling still suspect, and secondary coverage is questionable.

Reactions: psu00
It's frustrating to be tied 7-7 at the half, but I feel good about the outcome. The running game is working, and that's important. Drew looked a little ragged in the 2nd quarter...missed a few throws.

Meanwhile, the D only gave up 7 points after all...against a pretty good set of Illini skill players. If we hold them to 7 again in the 2nd half, the game's in the bag.

I see us controlling the game in the second half...possibly breaking it open...though as things stand, I wouldn't want to have given the 19 points.

Mark me down as negatory on the Rojas penalty. The offensive guy practically ran into Rojas who lifted his shoulder almost reflexively. No way is that a penalty, I don't care what the CBS "expert" says.
Why can't people just say it's a dumb rule instead of arguing the penalty which was called correctly?
Horrible rule--right call....both can be true. Just like the intentional grounding on Illinois
At least people are incorrectly mad about that call so they aren't complaining they aren't calling holding on either team

Reactions: RickinDayton
They cannot stop our run at all and we somehow have just 7 points.
Some of that is on the defense. We couldn't get stops and had to start from deep in our own end. We also only had 4 possessions that half. One was a TD, one was a missed FG. One was a 48 second drive to end the half.

The series before the missed FG was bad. Why not run more or throw into the end zone instead of crowded underneath routes
Allar needs to clean up mechanics crunch time situations

Defense just doesn’t have the playmakers

Didn't they struggle against both Indiana and Illinois that year?
Illinois' strength was their defense. PSU made mistakes on both sides of the ball on the road, but prevailed.

Paterno subbed freely against Indiana with a big lead, and the backup defense failed miserably to make the game much closer than it really was.

Illinois' strength was their defense. PSU made mistakes on both sides of the ball on the road, but prevailed.

Paterno subbed freely against Indiana with a big lead, and the backup defense failed miserably to make the game much closer than it really was.
Against Illinois though we scored 35 and only won by 4
I agree with Indian (bad mistake in hindsight by Joe) but Illinois was a battle like tonight

Final halftime thought. To me, Penn State felt like the better team. Definetely should've had more than 7 at half. Either way, think Penn State prevails here in the second half. Going to go 27-17.

Reactions: LandoComando
Wow, what a surprise.
I check out this board at halftime of a close game and the usual suspects are bitching about officiating.

I respectfully disagree the D is not an issue. There’s very few 3 and outs, they allow other teams to extend drives/ run clock and flip the field way too often. They give up 3rd and long, have little discipline, and are a penalty machine.

I agree the O has issues tonight as well but they’ve had 4 possessions in the first half with 1 being a final 38 second possession before half. 1 TD, 1 missed FG, 1 punt, 1 clock run out at half. I don’t know why they abandoned the run at times.
We gave up 7 pts.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT