ADVERTISEMENT

PSU - tOSU Dual Thread

NEo.....kid is a freak!
He might have more firepower an the other NATO. Seems like a very nice young man
Seems to me Ryan sitting BoJo only serves as extra positive PR for the dominant team. Impressionable young recruits watching with their mouths agape. :D
Complete joke. Making sure Hall doesn't get to see Bo until it matters. So weird because OSU has some guys who really honor the sport in how they conduct themselves, how hard they wrestle and how great they are.

Last edited:
Reactions: hlstone
Mark Hall, showing his lack of variety, with about 6 different moves and a freaking cement mixer for a pin. Yep, not enough variety...

Reactions: Brian LB-U
Snyder just kicked the snot out of the world's best over in Russia, but I guess it is reasonable to expect a college wrestler in his first competitive season to do better than everybody else on the planet.
Well... yes.;) He is wearing the Blue and White.

I know this is very critical because Snyder is bad ass mfer but 3X CA state champ you outweigh guy by 50 pounds and you have no neutralizing defense against ankle picks ....I was expecting a little better out of Nick...as much as I like him.
Dope post hall of fame.

Note: Ryan sitting BoJo is NOT the same thing as Brands sitting Clark: BoJo, in fact DID go against Meyer the week before, while Clark is trying to wrestle with a god damn bowling hand and a giant black sling.

Not the same thing. Ryan showed no stones and did it solely to protect BoJo's seed. That SHOULD be taken into account when the rankings come down next week, but it won't.

Beyers' post-match interview of Coach Cody Sanderson.

Below is a summary of the questions and answers; certainly not exact quotes:

Q: Team looked ready to go
- yeah, they did. Tough team (Ohio State) and tough crowd

Q: Talk about Gulibon
- we no what he can do, to see him go out and get after it, get riding time, it's rewarding as a coach

Q: great win by Suriano
- yeah, he did what we needed him to do to start the dual. Did a great job to get the TF

Q: Micah Jordan is a great wrestler, but Zain took control in the 2nd
- Zain, he's just tough. DOn't think that's his best -- maybe 70%, but he got the TF

Q: Nolf, you know he'll find the way
- didn't like the position he put himself in, but he told me he would pin the guy

Q: Joseph
- some things we need to work on, little things. Overall picture is really positive

Q: Mark Hall
- you could see he was disappointed to not wrestle BoJo, as he weighed in, but he did a nice job getting all those points

Q: Nickal
- he's not happy, he feels he needs to get better -- you like that as a coach

Q: Cutch, lots of positives
- he did a good job, got Matt bouncing up and down. He's in striking distance of these guys right now

Q: Nevills -- you have to tip your hat to Snyder
- we have to work on some things, gave up legs in scrambles. We'll get more out of him next time.

Q: Week off until Illinois, and then Senior Day. What will they do this week
- we're just excited to get home, wrestle in front of our fans. Preparation -- we like to think about it over the rest of the weekend and try to decide what we need to work on in the coming week

Nick Nevils looked damn good, in my mind. Keep in mind, that stud just PINNED the Russian, and Nick held him to a 10 point win.

This is why Ohio State will be a factor, even though they're not going to win the trophy: Nobody is coming within 10 against that monster in St Louis, all rounds.

in Okie St. news, Rogers was pinned by Austin Matthews and Picc lost 3-2 to Sean Russell. Boyd and Crutch came away with 2-point decisions. That Geer kid is tough.

He's an Olympic champ. He basically wrestles the best in the world on a full-time basis and takes breaks to wrestle for tOSU as a hobby. Nobody is even close. He's literally the best on the planet at his weight. Neither Nevills or Medberry is going to even keep it close this year.

Our job is to make it to get the 2 seed if we can.

He's an Olympic champ. He basically wrestles the best in the world on a full-time basis and takes breaks to wrestle for tOSU as a hobby. Nobody is even close. He's literally the best on the planet at his weight. Neither Nevills or Medberry is going to even keep it close this year.
And we have 2 guys who will outscore him at Nationals

... I remember Morgan beat Snyder in the 2015 NCAAs by riding him and wearing him down...

Q and A from "The Mat"

Q: What do you guys think of the PSU vs OSU result?

A: Kyle Snyder is awesome!

... I remember Morgan beat Snyder in the 2015 NCAAs by riding him and wearing him down...

Never happened. Maybe you are thinking about the 197 finals at B1Gs in 2015.

At 2015 NCAAs, Morgan was 2-seed who got bounced early by Hartmann from Duke, and Snyder made it all the way to the finals as 4-seed, beating Cox along the way but getting pinned by Ice Cream Gadson.

McIntosh ended up wrestling back and beating Cox for 3rd.

Mac beat Snyder by 1 pt in B1G title match, 3-2 I think.

cutch has guts but just too undersized. but didnt see anything that says he cant be 5-8AA
That guy just scored at will whenever he needed too....I like Matt but there is no way he AA...Wish so bad Cael would let Cassar wrestle off....He is really good on his feet as Cael said....No way he gives up those takedowns like Matt did in that match....Oh well....JMO after watching them both.

That guy just scored at will whenever he needed too....I like Matt but there is no way he AA...Wish so bad Cael would let Cassar wrestle off....He is really good on his feet as Cael said....No way he gives up those takedowns like Matt did in that match....Oh well....JMO after watching them both.
Moore scored at will, except for Mouse's 2 takedowns.

Cutch actually had a good game plan. If they go again, let's see if it can work maybe a bit better. Overall, Spyker again has solid points, but right now what we need is to make that plan work the next time they go, if they go again.

I know this is very critical because Snyder is bad ass mfer but 3X CA state champ you outweigh guy by 50 pounds and you have no neutralizing defense against ankle picks ....I was expecting a little better out of Nick...as much as I like him.
Maybe Jammen has some extra chill pills.

Reactions: diggerpup
Ironhead said a lot of backups in the Messiah Open this weekend, and a few in the Edinboro Open. Somebody look up the brackets for both, if you could.

165: Joseph vs. Cody Burcher

Burcher is from Gnadenhutten, OH. If you can pronounce that (and are not from that area), you get bonus points. ;) (Also, no points if you just heard Ironhead pronounce it, about 5 minutes after I keyed in the previous sentence.)

Per. 1:
Joseph in quickly Burcher with the whizzer, Joseph switches to a double, Burcher grabs ankles, and a stalemate at 2:21. Joseph still has the left leg wrapped. thru 1 min. Joseph gets a TD after a counter and then a slip behind, 2-0 at around 1:35 left. Works a tilt with a 2-on-1 and gets swipes, and gets 4 NF, 6-0. Joseph cuts him, 6-1. 1 min left. OOB with 53 sec. RT at 38 sec. Finger stoppage at 31 sec. Joseph in on a single, at the edge, and OOB with 15 sec. Joseph with a shuck by, nothing. Joseph shoots but blocked. End. RT at 38 sec for Joseph.

Per. 2:
Joseph takes bottom. Burcher throws in legs. Tries a tilt but Joseph rolls thru. Burcher working a power half nelson with the legs,but Joseph working up. Stalemate at 1:18. RT eliminated for Joseph. Joseph up quickly, and gets a reversal, 8-1. Joseph riding nicely, but doesn't seem to be having much luck turning Burcher. End. RT at 51 sec for Joseph.

Per. 3:
Joseph takes bottom (I guess Burcher picked top in Per 2). Joseph up quickly, Burcher hanging on, and a stalemate at 1:43. Joseph Starts up, back to his base, and stopped for PD when Joseph grabs the ankle and cranks on it. 1:17 left. Joseph up and out in 2 sec. Stoppage for something. Joseph in on the legs, and Burcher again trying to reach over, but Joseph comes out behind and gets the TD, 11-1. @ 45 sec left. RT now over 30 sec. Joseph nearly got a tilt, and stall warning on Burcher. End.

11-1 major is the final.

PSU - 23, tOSU - 5
Little known fact: the town of Lehighton, PA was originally named Gnaden Huetten. The hospital in town is still named Gnaden Huetten.

Reactions: hlstone
Yeah and FU to the idiot who hopes I'm a troll, I did expect Nevills to put up more of a defense than he exhibited. God damn, he's the no. 1 Hwt out of high school with 50 pound advantage, you can't give up your ankles like you've never been on the mat before no matter how good Snyder is. He should have been able to counter better in a folkstyle match than he did tonight. He looked completely lost out there despite how damn good Snyder is. He's good and 50 pounds heavier, exhibit some sort of defense for Christ's sake.

He's not 50 lbs heavier - Nick is in 250-255 range. Snyder cuts to get to 213 for freestyle - I've got to believe he's at least 220-225. Let's review whats happened in each of their careers since Nick was #1 heavy recruit - Nick - spent two years fighting injuries and wrestled less than 20 matches total until this year. Snyder has won a world and Olympic gold medal, NCAA title and a Tblisi Open. He's literally best in the world. Remember Cael made alot of really good college wrestlers look foolish with his ankle pic. I was encouraged by Nicks effort and thought he presented himself admirably.

they can give it to whomever they want. I just don't agree with their choice.

Zain TFed the #5 guy.

Bo defeated the returning National Champ.

I'd opt for either of those guys over Snyder, but perhaps I'm looking at things through a Blue-White prism

Jordan took Zain down twice and had riding time advantage after the first period.

Martin, while being a returning National Champ is only 10th this season and already had twice as many losses than #5 Jordan and #3 Nevills combined.

Snyder toyed with the #3 Nevills from start to finish.

In my opinion, Snyder was the clear choice for OW.

Last edited:
Yeah and FU to the idiot who hopes I'm a troll, I did expect Nevills to put up more of a defense than he exhibited. God damn, he's the no. 1 Hwt out of high school with 50 pound advantage, you can't give up your ankles like you've never been on the mat before no matter how good Snyder is. He should have been able to counter better in a folkstyle match than he did tonight. He looked completely lost out there despite how damn good Snyder is. He's good and 50 pounds heavier, exhibit some sort of defense for Christ's sake.

There's no way in hell that Nevills was 50 lbs heavier than Snyder last night. While Nick was the god damn #1 Hwt. out of high school, Snyder was the god damn #1 recruit at any weight out of high school who skipped his senior year to go train with the big boys.

Snyder is by far, the more experienced wrestler and it showed last night. Nick will learn from it and get better.

I'm chosing to look on the brigt side, Nick made Superman bleed.

Down 2-0, to a 20-5 tech fall – Zain being Zain

Zain is lethal in the top position when he gets his man "broken down" - many struggle to turn their opponents, but not the Z-train....it doesn't matter whether he gets u flattened out with a Bow & Arrow, Double Grapes, a Claw Spiral-Ride, a traditional 1-leg in Hip-Ride, etc...you are going over whether it's via a punishing power-half or vicious cross-face (like tonight), you're going over one-way or the other!

There's no way in hell that Nevills was 50 lbs heavier than Snyder last night. While Nick was the god damn #1 Hwt. out of high school, Snyder was the god damn #1 recruit at any weight out of high school who skipped his senior year to go train with the big boys.

Snyder is by far, the more experienced wrestler and it showed last night. Nick will learn from it and get better.

I'm chosing to look on the brigt side, Nick made Superman bleed.

Nick could not keep Snyder off his legs - plain & simple! Snyder's leg attacks were so persistent that Nick could never get to his offense because he was continually attempting to fight off leg attacks that he was slow in reacting to, Snyder was too deep on and Nick's attempts to "stalemate" the shots were hopeless. This was a classic case where Nick's "length" relative to Snyder actually worked against him because Snyder was the much quicker wrestler and Nick simply had no answer whatsoever for his leg attacks (i.e., Nick being slower than Snyder made his height relative to Snyder a big disadvantage rather than an asset). Nick needs to learn that he needs to "change levels" defensively against a guy like Snyder - if your reaction time is inferior, than you need to get down to the same level where you can stone him with your upper-body and "head/hands" defense rather than relying on sprawling (i.e., bend your knees to drop your level - don't bend over at the waist).

BTW, Suriano has the "head / hands" defense of a seasoned NCAA veteran! I don't think he had to sprawl once last night his "head / hands" defense was so good and just stoning Rodriguez before he could get remotely close to Nick's legs or lower body.

Nick could not keep Snyder off his legs - plain & simple! Snyder's leg attacks were so persistent that Nick could never get to his offense because he was continually attempting to fight off leg attacks that he was slow in reacting to, Snyder was too deep on and Nick's attempts to "stalemate" the shots were hopeless. This was a classic case where Nick's "length" relative to Snyder actually worked against him because Snyder was the much quicker wrestler and Nick simply had no answer whatsoever for his leg attacks (i.e., Nick being slower than Snyder made his height relative to Snyder a big disadvantage rather than an asset). Nick needs to learn that he needs to "change levels" defensively against a guy like Snyder - if your reaction time is inferior, than you need to get down to the same level where you can stone him with your upper-body and "head/hands" defense rather than relying on sprawling (i.e., bend your knees to drop your level - don't bend over at the waist).

BTW, Suriano has the "head / hands" defense of a seasoned NCAA veteran! I don't think he had to sprawl once last night his "head / hands" defense was so good and just stoning Rodriguez before he could get remotely close to Nick's legs or lower body.
He had one legitimate legs back, back arched sprawl.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT