ADVERTISEMENT

Football GAMEDAY THREAD: Penn State Football versus Kent State

Tom Allen has somehow ****ed up the defense. The offense, we are used to them underperforming for 40 years (although against Kent St?). Tom Allen was a bad hire. And ****ing trick plays to score against Kent State? Yeah, this is a playoff team. Insert Jim Mora press conference clip here.

Reactions: m.knox
I will say the tackling is absolutely a concern. I'll have to go back and watch it again later to see who the biggest offenders. The depth at linebacker is thin right now which is certaintly not great with a team in Illiinois coming to town next weekend who won't be afraid to run the ball consistently.

Reactions: LandoComando
The Beau play call and intereception was bad, yes and it completely changes how many look at this quarter to be honest. Without the interception, they're probably up 21-0 with a chance to be up 28-0 before halftime. But yeah, eating up five mintues of clock to get nothing is going to hurt the cscoreboard. Outside of that, pass protection obviously hasn't been good considering the talent on the other side. Outside of that, it's a fine performance. Drew is being efficient, the rushing attack especially Singleton is strong. Kent State's offense is having almost no success outside of 1 or 2 plays.

But the interception is obviously bad and have to clean up the penalties.
And I think what the issue/frustration is that it seems to be getting worse if anything--the OL has to be better and the defensive can't make mental mistakes. Illinois isn't elite but we can't play like this against them.

I like what Drew has done and I talked about having two great backs in this thread but the Beau nonsense must stop especially today as this is the last scrimmage. We have to get the real offense ready to go.

And I think what the issue/frustration is that it seems to be getting worse if anything--the OL has to be better and the defensive can't make mental mistakes. Illinois isn't elite but we can't play like this against them.

I like what Drew has done and I talked about having two great backs in this thread but the Beau nonsense must stop especially today as this is the last scrimmage. We have to get the real offense ready to go.
I think we agree on the offense for the most part but I also think that Beau and his packages are 100% 'part of the ofense' going forward. The offensive line I'll have to go back and watch closely tomorrow. I'm jsut saying I think the interception and Kent State burning as much clock as possible is skewing the view of this a bit. Also Drew has had down the field opportuniteies but unlike Nico at Tennessee he just doesn't want to take those deep shots.

Penn State scores for the third time today, this time Drew Allar to Liam Clifford to give the Nittany Lions a 21-0 lead with 1:30 befofre halftime.

Nittany Lions with 321 yards of total offense in the first half.

Reactions: NedFromYork
I think we agree on the offense for the most part but I also think that Beau and his packages are 100% 'part of the ofense' going forward. The offensive line I'll have to go back and watch closely tomorrow. I'm jsut saying I think the interception and Kent State burning as much clock as possible is skewing the view of this a bit. Also Drew has had down the field opportuniteies but unlike Nico at Tennessee he just doesn't want to take those deep shots.
Hopefully that changes with Drew
When the backs are avering over 6/carry and Allar has 170 or so yards the scoring efficiency just has to be better.
And I accept Beau is going to play but also accept its going to hurt us

If we’re being honest, Warren never should’ve thrown his pass either. The KSU player should’ve picked that or blew that play up. He took a horrible angle and lost track of his surroundings.

Penn State scores for the third time today, this time Drew Allar to Liam Clifford to give the Nittany Lions a 21-0 lead with 1:30 befofre halftime.

Nittany Lions with 321 yards of total offense in the first half.

And they are getting the ball back with 59 seconds left.

320+ yards needs to result in more points. #2 is on the sidelines in sweats. No obvious braces etc.

Touchdown Penn State, Drew Allar takes himself for a five yard touchdown.

Penn State 28
Kent State 0

Nittany Lions offense has been dominant in the first half with 396 total yards including 267 passing yards.

See what happens, when everyone takes a deep breath?

I mean, we're obviously going to win but this was literally supposed to be a live practice against a team that lost to St Francis (losing to Eastern Michigan 29-0 in the 3rd) so while "a win is a win is a win" some things need to change
The head coach needs a fire lit under his backside and he needs to do the same to the players.

And that drive is what this entire game should have looked like...use Kent State as practice for the pass game. Don't like Allar running in this one but he continues to show he does it well enough that Beau isn't needed

Touchdown Penn State, Drew Allar takes himself for a five yard touchdown.

Penn State 28
Kent State 0

Nittany Lions offense has been dominant in the first half with 396 total yards including 267 passing yards.

See what happens, when everyone takes a deep breath?
Lol no one was worried that we were going to lose. The offense had 400 yards and only 28 points. They have to be more efficient. Not even halfway to Tennessee at the half and Pitt scored 54. Lots to clean up. Allar looks great. They need to set him free all the time

Reactions: scrivener
I do NOT want to see Carter, Singleton, or Allar in the second half. It is too risky. Carter got up a little gingerly on the last drive and Allar was grimacing a bit on the td run because he landed on his knee in the end zone. Allar should not be running at all in this game. Call me the grinch but I am actually very disappointed that Franklin allows that in this game.

Lol no one was worried that we were going to lose. The offense had 400 yards and only 28 points. They have to be more efficient. Not even halfway to Tennessee and Pitt scored 54. Lots to clean up. Allar looks great. They need to set him free all the time
Why you keep bring up Tennessee and Pitt? The game got away from Kent last week on some big plays. Plus Tennessee kicked an onside kick up 30-0. Penn state has had horrid field position this takes longer to score. Plus the int killed a scoring drive. As for pitt it was 28-14 at half and they gave up 24 points and 212 yards.

Kent had 43 total yards in the first half. How was it so close until 5:30 left in the half? How did they keep punting and pinning us deep? Just so weird. Seems like this program is just cursed.

Reactions: NedFromYork
Lol no one was worried that we were going to lose. The offense had 400 yards and only 28 points. They have to be more efficient. Not even halfway to Tennessee at the half and Pitt scored 54. Lots to clean up. Allar looks great. They need to set him free all the time
Somewhere there are Pitt fans comparing scores and believing in their black hearts they are the better team. Honestly Kent State is down to 3rd team QB, and prayers to young man now at Mt Nittany Hospital.

Reactions: jjw165
Why you keep bring up Tennessee and Pitt? The game got away from Kent last week on some big plays. Plus Tennessee kicked an onside kick up 30-0. Penn state has had horrid field position this takes longer to score. Plus the int killed a scoring drive. As for pitt it was 28-14 at half and they gave up 24 points and 212 yards.
Right we matched Pitt's offensive output in the first half and scored less than Tennessee did in a quarter. Why didn't we have better field position?

You do realize we will be compared to Tennessee right?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT